Boothby was Starfleet Academy’s resident groundskeeper and unofficial confidant. Consequently on this particular morning he was standing beside one of the Academy’s flowerbeds discussing roses with Kathryn Janeway. Boothby made an effort to interact with every cadet that passed through Starfleet Academy but even so he still had his favourites and Kathryn Janeway was one of them.

He’d watched her grow from a fledgling science cadet into a competent Captain, now returned after 7 years in the Delta quadrant she’d been promoted to Admiral and come back to teach along side her fellow officer Tuvox.

Boothby had know Tuvox for a great many years, so when he saw him approaching, Boothby waved and smiled. He knew the Vulcan wouldn’t appreciate the broad grin but he still greeted him with a cheery “hello” all the same.

“Tuvox?” Janeway half turning also gave her friend a smile. “I was just on my way to see you when Boothby waylaid me.”

“I am aware, I saw you from my office window.” Tuvox didn’t nod or point as a human would have done.

“Are you spying on us sir?” Boothby challenged Tuvox.

It was meant as a joke but the stoic Vulcan stood his ground and replied. “No sir I was merely………..”

Janeway saw Tuvox open his mouth but the sudden rushing noise inside her head cut off all sound, then just as suddenly everything went black. Both Tuvox and Boothby reacted with the same lightning reflexes that defied their ages and caught her as she collapsed.

The sound came back before the lights so Janeway heard the soft voices of her two white knights calling out her name before she saw their concerned faces.

“Wh….what happened?” Kathryn asked through the dizziness that still prevailed.

“You fainted,” Tuvox answered, “I was just going to call medical assistants.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary Mr Tuvox,” said Boothby stopping Tuvox’s hand before it reached his communicator. “After all its not unusual for a pregnant women to faint.”

“PREGNANT!?” Janeway and Tuvox chorused.


Janeway obviously didn’t quite believe Boothby after all she’d had her period this month, hadn’t she? Or at least last month? It wasn’t possible anyway she hadn’t………Yes she had ‘TOM’. He’d done it to her again. Anger flooded Kathryn as she walked towards Starfleet Academy’s medical centre. Anger at Tom but mostly anger with her self for not taking the necessary precautions after their little rendezvous. A sense of warmth also flooded Kathryn and she smiled to herself as a protective hand strayed to her stomach. But before she could reach the medical centre steps a tear escaped, tracing a wet path down her flushed cheek, “Phoebe.”

Kathryn found herself alone on the stone steps hugging herself and trying not to cry. Fortunately it was mid-afternoon and most of the cadets were in class. The few still walking around seemed not to notice her as she tried to regain her composure. ‘I can’t have a baby,’ Kathryn told herself, ‘I’m a Starfleet Admiral. How would I tell everyone? Do I tell Tom?’ On top of all these thoughts one prevailed stronger than the others, ‘I’m going to be a mother, and this time everything is going to be ok.’

“Congratulations Admiral Janeway you are pregnant, about 12 weeks I’d say.” Doctor Cox had been alone in the medical centre much to Janeways relief and she’d persuaded him to run a routine scan without going into too much detail. Still not quite believing or at least not wanting to believe that she was again with child.

“There’s just one thing,” the young doctor continued, “your expecting not one but two babies, its TWINS.”

“TWINS!” Janeway echoed, sitting up sharply on the diagnostic table then regretting it as her head did a double loop.

“Yep, see for yourself. Two egg sacs, two embryos.” Beaming with joy Doctor Cox spun the diagnostic screen around so Janeway could see it. “I see from your notes that you’ve been pregnant twice before but on the last occasion you miscarried.”

“Is that going to effect this pregnancy?” The two blobs on the view screen seemed slightly surreal especially considering they were actually only the size of an old earth dime but something about them mesmerised Janeway.

“I shouldn’t think so your healthy the foetuses are healthy. Barring any misfortunes you should go to full term.” Dr Cox was speed-reading Janeways medical notes as he spoke. “Although with twins there can be problems towards the end but maybe we should discuss those together with the father?” Cox glanced sideways at Janeway; he’d just come to an interesting piece in her notes.

“There is no father.” Janeway replied her attention still focused on the two blobs.

“I see…” mused Cox then mumbled not quite softly enough, “Another immaculate conception.”

“What?” Janeway’s head snapped up and her eyes fixed on the young doctor, “What did you say?”

Rooted to the spot by Admiral Janeway’s paralysing stare, Cox began rambling, “N….nothing its just that there is no father listed for your last pregnancy and as for the previous one, that is unless your con officer kidnapped you again and……………..”

“STOP RIGHT THERE!” Janeway had heard enough, she dropped off the table and stood in front of the doctor. “DON’T YOU DARE SAY ANOTHER WORD.” And with that she left.


That evening when Admiral Janeway’s door chimed she wasn’t at all surprised to find Admiral Owen Paris behind it.

“Owen come in,” off duty and equal in rank Janeway felt more comfortable calling her fellow officer by his first name. “I would ask for what do I owe the pleasure of this visit but I suspect I already know.

Admiral Paris followed Janeway across the living area of her apartment and accepted the seat beside her on the room’s sofa. “Tuvox came to see me earlier today.”

Janeway crossed her legs and rubbed the furrow in her brow. “Well I never did tell him to keep it to himself.”

“You can’t just hide this or make it go away.”

“I don’t know about that,” responded Janeway.

Owens face changed to one of disappointment and he sighed deeply. “Before he left Tom and I had along talk about ‘Phoebe’ and his feelings for you.”

“Oh!” Janeway rose and crossed to the window, for some reason she didn’t dare look Owen in the eye on this matter.

“Does he know yet?” Admiral Paris asked, following her with his own eyes.

“Who?”

“The father!”

“No, like I said, I’ve only just found out myself.”

“You’ve had time though to contact your favourite EMH.”

“I was merely seeking medical advice.”

“Yes I heard about your run in with Doctor Cox.”

Janeway glanced back from the window, fury written on her face. “I’ve a good mind to press charges of slander against that…..that.”

“Now Kathryn watch your blood pressure.”

Janeway turned around and crossed back to the sofa but didn’t sit down. “I’m not going to tell the father.”

“Ok, that’s your choice, but you are keeping the baby.”

“Babies.” Janeway corrected. “It would seem I’m expecting twins.”

“Twins!” Owen Paris smiled and patted the seat next to him, which returning the smile Janeway took. “You know, Tom’s great aunt Bertha had twins.”

Janeway raised one eyebrow Vulcan style at Owen Paris, she knew he would probably never say it but he knew the babies were Tom’s and consequently his future grandchildren, She also knew that without Tom she was going to need his help and influence over the next few months.


Starfleet Academy’s gardens were not extensive but provided many nooks and crannies for private conversations and meetings. Kathryn Janeway had just finished one such meeting with a female cadet when she turned and found herself looking into the deep blue eyes of Thomas Eugene Paris.

“Tom! I..” Kathryn stuttered, one hand automatically going to the bump before her. She was now eight months pregnant and carrying twins showed it.

“Its true then.” Paris nodded towards her bulging stomach.

“What? Yes! How?” Janeway saw the pain of betrayal in Paris eyes and her heart sank.

“I alighted from my transporters shuttle half an hour ago and to my astonishment the first thing I over heard was two cadets discussing the pregnancy of one Admiral Kathryn Janeway.” The hurt was also evident in Paris voice, which trembled slightly when his guard slipped.

“Tom I can explain.” Janeway begged.

“Just answer me this. How pregnant are you?”

“8 months.” Said Janeway dragging her eyes away from Paris. “And I’m expecting ‘twins’.”

“TWINS!” Paris voice squeaked, he couldn’t believe his ears and he didn’t want to believe any of it. His head rang with sums and dates as he backed away from Janeway and paced the small area.

Laughter echoed from the pathway beyond and Janeway looked up as cadets she knew passed by. “Maybe we had better continue this in my office?”


Admiral Janeway made sure the door to her office was firmly shut before continuing their fraught conversation.

“Have you seen your father yet?”

“No he doesn’t even know I’m here.” Paris stood in the doorway and watched Kathryn cross the room to the replicator.

“I wouldn’t bet on that.” Said Janeway, knowing full well the lines of gossip ran both ways. “Cup of tea? I’m having one, I’m parched.” Janeway kept her back to Tom, fear and embarrassment preventing her from turning to face him.

“Kathryn?” Paris called out her first name with some desperation. “Do I have to ask?”

She could feel his eyes boring into the back of her head. He deserved to know the truth, no matter how much it hurt. “No you don’t have to ask.” Kathryn didn’t turn as she spoke. “But the answers ‘YES’ the babies are yours, Ok!”

Paris spurred into action stormed across the room and grabbing Kathryn’s arm and spun her around to face him. “No its not OK, why didn’t you tell me?”

“I just did.” Kathryn’s eye’s locked on Tom’s as she shook her arm free from his grasp.

Frustration crossed Paris face; he’d forgotten just how impossible she could be sometimes. “I meant earlier when you found out.”

“It didn’t seem appropriate at the time.”

“Appropriate! Oh hell Kathryn.” Paris began pacing the floor. “You weren’t planning to tell me ever were you?”

“You’d gone to Boreth with Belanna and Miral to start a new life, you didn’t need me complicating things.”

“Maybe not but it should have been my choice.”

“Well as you said eight months ago, It’s too late now!” Kathryn yelled, she didn’t need this and was about to order Tom to leave when a sharp pain rocked her. “Ouch!”

Like lightning Tom Paris hands reached out to her. “Kathryn?”

“I’m ok its just these two kicking each other and me.” Kathryn allowed Tom to guide her to the room’s couch, where she gratefully took the weight of her feet.

“May I?” Paris asked, indicating the undulating flesh.

Kathryn’s face softened, how could she stay angry with this man. Taking Tom’s hands in hers she gently rested them against her stomach.

Almost immediately the two foetuses sensing the warmth of his hands kicked out. Paris smiled as he felt the pressure of tiny hands and feet push against him, then a shadow crossed his face. He’d never felt phoebe kick, not like this.

“Are they ok?” Tom asked suddenly concerned for their wealth fair.

“There perfect.” Kathryn noticed the sorrow behind Paris expression. “I’ve had all the scans and tests and I’m on daily check ups now.”

“Do you know the sex?” a sense of excitement overcame Tom as he asked.

“Yes.” Kathryn chuckled picking up a small folder from the table beside her and handing it to Paris. “Scan photos, the one on the left is a girl and the one on the right is a boy.”

Tom thumbed through the collection of pictures, each one showing a different stage of the babies development so that within seconds 8 months had passed and two perfectly formed little people lay entwined, contented smiles on their lips.

“Miral must be crawling by now.” Kathryn said breaking the silence that had befallen them.

“Try walking.” Paris responded not taking his eyes of the pictures. “I’ve got a photo, how about we swap?” Digging a plastic wallet from his inside pocket Paris produce a rendition of a gurgling chubby kid.

“She looks so much like Belanna.” Kathryn exclaimed upon seeing the photo. “Except for the eyes, she has your eyes. Phoebe had your eyes too.” The words slipped out before she realised what she was saying but when Kathryn turned to Tom he was smiling.

“I guess that means these two will as well.” Paris said with pride.

“Why are you here Tom?” Kathryn asked it was her turn now to ask the questions. “Why are you back on Earth and at Starfleet Academy if it’s not to see me or your father?”

“I’m here about a job,” said Paris casually, tucking a scan photo away with his wallet.

“The flight instructors job?” Janeway queried, surprised that Tom Paris of all people would be interested in such a post.

“Unless there are any others!”

Kathryn smelt a rat, “Where’s Belanna and Miral?”

“Still on Boreth,” Paris cleared his throat and looked down away from Kathryn. “We’ve kind off had a falling out.”

“Kind off?” Kathryn straightened her posture while Tom sat forwards and ran his head through his hands.

“I tried, but I’m so bored on Boreth. Belanna’s away for days on end at a stretch and Miral's farmed out to the other Klingon women most of the time, so I’m just superfluous.”

“I thought you were busy writing holo novels?” She was afraid of this, that Tom and Belanna’s differences would break them up.

“I was, I am!” Paris declared sitting up again and facing Kathryn. “But after 8 months I’m dying to get my hands on the control’s of a ship again, any ship.

Now this Kathryn understood. “You were always the happiest at Voyagers helm. But I don’t think running away from your problems again is the answer.”

“Probably not.” Paris agreed. “I just need some space to think without someone chanting in Klingon behind me.”

“Then I guess finding me in this condition hasn’t helped.” Kathryn sighed, when it came to marriages there were no quick fixes or indeed any glue that would hold some of them together. “I’ve been thinking about finding some space of my own too. I’m not sure I’ll be staying with Starfleet after the babies are born.”

“Oh? Why not?” His own problems forgotten for a second Tom turned his attention back to Kathryn’s. “They have been treating right haven’t they?”

“There have been the usual gossip and innuendo, but your father has been keeping a lid on it for me.”

“Does he know I’m the babies father?” Tom asked even though he suspected he knew the answer.

“I never told him but he kind of guessed.” Kathryn admitted. “He said something about, Phoebe and knowing how you felt about me. Did you tell him?”

“Yes.” Paris looked pensive as he spoke. “I thought it best, the truth will out and all. I didn’t want him to hear it from someone else.”

“He’s been very supportive.” Kathryn rested her hand on top of Tom’s then squeezed gently.

“I guess with him around you didn’t need me.” Tom turned towards Kathryn and reaching up ran fingertips down her soft rose coloured cheek.

“Oh Tom, there have been days and nights when the only thing I did need was you.” Kathryn moved closer, mirroring Tom’s movements. “There have been times when all I needed was you to hold me and make love to me.”

Tom drew Kathryn into his arms, then her lips to his. For a crazy moment it seemed as if time had thrown them backwards to their first kiss and all the joy it had held. Moulding himself to her body Tom deepened the kiss, arousing memories and sensations of those days past. He could feel Kathryn’s positive response and wanted to go further but as his hand travelled down her body he made contact with the still kicking bulge. He’d made love to Belanna while she was pregnant but Belanna was strong and had been carrying only 1 baby, Kathryn looked and felt so fragile. Pulling his bruised mouth from Kathryn’s hungry lips he pause to ask if it would be ok, but “Kathryn…” was as far as he got, for over her shoulder the antique wall clock warned him he had to be somewhere else very soon.

“Is that clock right?”

“Yes?” Kathryn replied puzzled.

“I have to go.”

“Your interview, its today?”

“Yes, I’m sorry I didn’t time this very well.”

”Then why didn’t you come to dinner tonight?” A flash of Tom making steamy passionate love to her passed through Kathryn’s mind and she quickly added. “So we can talk properly.”

“I would like that.” Reluctantly Tom extracted himself from Kathryn’s arms. “8 o’clock ok?”

“Make it 7, these two don’t like me to eat late.”

“7 o’clock then.” Paris confirmed, while images of doing everything but eating crossed his mind.


Tom Paris didn’t exactly sail through his interview with the Starfleet selection board, some of them remembered him all too well and as for the others, they had read up in length on his service record. Sticky moments aside he didn’t feel it went too badly and when Admiral Riley said they would be in touch he sounded genuine enough. Even so Tom couldn’t help but regret even applying, that was until he passed by the simulator block.

Several hours later after astonishing and flabbergasting Starfleet’s top pilot cadets by acing the toughest of her simulators, Tom Paris stepped out into the cool evening air and walked straight into the cold glare of his father’s eyes.

“Father!” If looks could kill, thought Tom and changed his address. “Sorry, Admiral Paris.”

A broad toothy smile spread sideways across Owen Paris face. “Father will do,” he said, opening his arms. Tom Paris accepted the gesture with a smile of his own and hugged his father. The smile however on Admiral Paris face had slipped slightly by the end of the embrace and words of foreboding escaped his lips. “We need to talk.”

“If it’s about Kathryn, I’ve already seen her.” Tom said trying to pre-emptive his father’s strike.

“That was on my itinerary,” Admiral Paris responded, suggesting that there were other topics needing to be discussed. Topics, which with a sharp gruff “come,” and a wiggle of a very familiar finger were temporarily put on hold.

Thus for the second time that day Tom Paris found himself in the office of a Starfleet Admiral.


“I know what probably happened between you and Admiral… sorry, Kathryn.” Owen Paris declared pouring himself a glass of scotch from a wall mounted drinks display. “I was young too once.” Owen offered Tom a drink, which he declined. “But son why didn’t you take precautions?”

“It wasn’t supposed to be that kind of a rendezvous.” Tom replied in his own defence. But if he thought about it there was only one reason why he had gone in search of Kathryn that fateful night.

“Don’t you have any self control?” Owen asked taking a large swig of his drink.

Tom sighed, remembering his thoughts of earlier that day. “Not it would seem when it comes to Kathryn.”

“Humph.” Was all Owen could come up with in response but it portrayed more meaning than a thousand words.

Tom moved across the room to where he could see out of the window down into the dimly lit courtyard below before declaring. “I love her.”

“I thought you loved Belanna?” Owen growled back.

“I do!” Paris said a little too loudly, probably as much to reassure himself as anyone else. “With Kathryn it’s different.”

“Different as in more exciting, as in against the rules!”

“Father!” Paris began to protest but was out manoeuvred.

“No you listen to me son!” Owen crossed the room in two strides coming face to face with Tom. “Do you realise how much pain this pregnancy has caused Kathryn, physically as well as emotionally. Not to mention the little fact that when you got her knocked up you were her subordinate, a court martial offence under Starfleet regulations.”

“Starfleet wouldn’t do that to her she’s a heroine of the federation.” The hole was getting deeper.

“No but if your looking to work here again I’d keep your dick in your shorts and your hands of Admiral Janeway.”

“She’s invited me to dinner tonight.”

“Then I suggest you make your apologies and cancel. Your having dinner at home with your mother and I tonight.”

“But…” Tom began feeling very small.

“No argument!”

And maybe for once Tom Paris couldn’t and he didn’t.


The evening meal at the Paris home was a happy if subdued one. Unfortunately the clatter of cutlery and compliments to the cook were interpreted by the shrill chirping of Admiral Paris personal com channel. “I’ll have to answer it, it could be important,” Owen Paris said, before reluctantly rising from the table and leaving through the swing door behind him.

As the door bounced shut he could be seen activating the desk communication screen but the heavy door closed before any sound escaped. Owen Paris read the text alert message that told him the call was coming from Starfleet’s medical centre and that the caller was Voyagers old EMH. The same EMH who had been monitoring Kathryn Janeway’s pregnancy. This couldn’t be good he thought opening a channel but the EMH appeared with a huge smile on his face.

“Sorry to disturb you Admiral, I just thought you might like to know that Admiral Janeway has gone into labour.”

“But it’s too soon? She’s only eight months?” Owens brow creased with alarm.

“This can happen with Twins.” The doctor chirped away seemingly unconcerned. “They are both healthy and Kathryn’s doing fine. Would you like me to keep you updated?” The doctor was trying to see passed Admiral Paris as he spoke.

Unconvinced Owen Paris replied. “I’m coming in.” Then stabbing at the end transmission button leaped to his feet and strode back into the dining room. All eyes swivelled in his direction as he stopped beside Tom’s chair. “Son its Kathryn, she’s gone into labour!”

Tom didn’t speak he just dropped his cutlery and made for the door. Owen followed hot on his heels, glancing back just long enough to nod goodbye to his wife.

“There’s a new transporter on the corner Son.”


Tom Paris ignored the two orderly’s and burst through the medical units double doors. Once inside he made his way to Kathryn’s bedside.

“Tom!” Kathryn gasped between pants of breath disguised as breathing exercises.

Tom took her out stretched hand and drew himself closer. “Its ok Kathryn, I’m here.”

“It’s about time as well!” a familiar voice called from across the med bay.

Looking up Tom Paris caught sight of an EMH. “Is that?” Tom glanced at Kathryn while indicating the approaching doctor.

Kathryn nodded between gasps of air, affirming that the EMH was Voyagers old ‘EMH’.

“I was wondering if you were going to make it.” The EMH continued.

Paris, one way or another had missed the births of all his previous children. While Belanna was in labour with Miral he had been at Voyagers helm, piloting them through a Borg transwarp conduit. When Kathryn had miscarried Phoebe he’d been unconscious and as for the birth of their mutant triplets, he’d been off foraging for food during that happy event.

“Wild horses couldn’t keep me from this birth.” The truth be told is that if itchy feet hadn’t brought him to earth he would have missed this birth too.

“Or my orderlies it would seem,” commented the doctor glancing out into the corridor where Admiral Paris was placating the two burly men.

Tom was about to make a cutting reply when Kathryn suddenly screamed, screwed up her face and started panting furiously while squeezing the life out of his hand.

“That was only six minuets, they’re getting closer.” The doctor said calmly, then passed a damp cloth to Tom so he could mop her brow.

“How is she doing?”

“Her blood pressure is a little elevated and her dilation is slow but apart from that I have three strong heart rates and no course to be concerned at this time.”

“You hear that Kathryn everything’s going ok.”

“That’s easy for you to say!” Kathryn grunted, reaching for a drink of water and finding Tom had beaten her to it.

Helping her take a sip he ignored the remark and smiled sweetly. “If you don’t won’t me here I’ll wait outside, you only have to say.”

“You’re not going anywhere!” Kathryn grasped Tom’s shirtfront and pulled his face down to hers. “Don’t you dare leave me to do this alone again!”


Paris stayed by her side but although the hours passed quickly Kathryn’s labour did not and sometime later the doctor had course to be concerned. While she lay half asleep from exhaustion he pulled Tom to one side and motioned for the waiting Admiral Paris to join them.

“What’s up doc?” Owen Paris asked.

“The labour is slowing down and Kathryn’s not dilating. I can do something about that but the babies are getting tired. They may be too immature for the stress of a normal birth.” The doctor looked from worried eyes to terrified ones. “I think the best thing would be to perform a C-Section.”

“Can’t you just beam them out, like you did Naomi?”

“Their too fragile and its never been done with multiple births.”

“I’m sure you know what your doing doctor.” Owen Paris said one hand on his son’s shoulder.

Tom felt the pressure of his father’s hand but wasn’t sure if it was to reassure him or hold him back from trying to strangle the EMH. “You had better save those babies and Kathryn! No choices this time doc!”

“That is exactly what I intend to do, but if you get in my way I’ll have you thrown out is that clear?” Tom didn’t answer he just gave the doctor a ‘watch this space’ stare then spun on his heels back to Kathryn.


“What’s going on?” Kathryn asked. “Something’s wrong I know it!”

“Its ok.” Tom sat on the bed beside Kathryn, she looked exhausted and he could feel the heat from her fevered body radiating out to him. “It’s just that the babies are tired and the doctor thinks they wont survive a normal birth.”

“WHAT!” Kathryn’s hands automatically wrapped themselves around her bump. “Don’t let my babies die Tom, not again, not this time, please!”

“Shhh.” Tom said placing his own hand over Kathryn’s. “Were not going to let them die, are we doc?” The EMH stepped up to the bed and Kathryn tore her tear stained eyes away from Tom. “I’m sorry Kathryn but I’m going to have to perform a caesarean section.”

“A……C…Caesarean,” Kathryn stammered.

“Just try and relax, everything will be ok, and in a very short time you will be holding your new son and daughter.” The doctor raised his eyes to Tom briefly then looking back to Kathryn said, “I promise.”


Kathryn didn’t feel anything when the laser scalpel cut into her skin. The hypo spray to her spine had taken care of that and the pink force field prevented her from seeing what the doctor was doing. Yet in the back of Kathryn’s mind she felt the pain and graphically imagined what was happening or at best what she hoped was happening.

“I can see a head Kathryn it won’t be long now.” The EMH said cheerfully, while taking note of the dip in her blood pressure.

“I can see it too!” Paris squealed.

He was standing beside Kathryn decked out in blue surgical scrubs, reaching up she pulled the mask from his face. “I’m scared Tom hold me.” But Tom turned away, he seemed to pass something to the doctor, no wait it was the other way around, now he was turning back to her.

“How about you hold this instead?” Tom Paris smiled from ear to ear and head to toe as he handed a squirming bundle down to Kathryn. “Say hello to your son.”

Kathryn wrapped her trembling arms around the tiny shape and looked passed the matted sandy blond hair to the enormous blue eyes. “Hello Justin.” Her voice trembled as much as she did. “I’m naming you Justin after………..” Tears prevented her saying anymore.

“It’s ok, I know.” Tom brushed a stray strand of hair from Kathryn’s face then planted a kiss on her forehead.

Before Tom drew away though, Kathryn tilted her head upwards and brushed her lips against his. The spark between them at that moment was hot enough to ignite the oxygen in the air and if it hadn’t been for the frantic calls of assistance from the EMH there just may have been fireworks.


Tom moved quickly to the screen then watched in horror as the doctor pulled the lifeless form of his daughter from Kathryn’s womb.

“The cords wrapped around her neck, quick nurse the laser scalpel!” Voyagers EMH worked efficiently to release the baby but it was rapidly turning blue. “She must have turned around after her brother was removed, becoming entangled in the cords.”

Paris watched with the pit of his stomach churning as the doctor passed the ‘rag doll’ over to his nurse, who immediately placed it in an incubator.

Kathryn could see nothing over the screen but heard every word. “Tom what’s happening?” she pleaded. Then when he didn’t respond she turned to the doctor. “Where’s my baby what’s wrong with her?”

“Your baby’s going to be fine.” The doctor said smiling at Kathryn. “She wasn’t without oxygen long enough to cause any harm.”

Kathryn didn’t believe him, she’d seen him use that smile before. She was about to challenge him when his face disappeared and the voice of a nurse began calling out information.

“We have a heart rate, no breathing,” her voice sounded flat, uncaring. “Cortical stimulator size 1,” silent pause. “Activating now,” a small bleep sliced the heavy air, air that was getting hard to breath. “Still no independent respiration, losing heart beat, activating full life support.” The monitor beeped once, twice then went dead. “No response sir.”

“Page doctor Cox again, “ the EMH ordered taking over from the nurse. “Damn.”

“You’re losing her doc,” Paris stormed over to the doctor. “Get her back!”

“I’m trying but I can’t perform miracles.”

“You had better do something or you’ll find yourself in the Dilithium ore mines for the rest of your un-natural life.”

“Don’t you threaten me.”

“Then don’t give up on my baby.”

“DOCTOR! Quick she’s haemorrhaging.”

Tom and the doctor spun around to see blood pouring off the diagnostic table, blood that was pumping out of Kathryn.

“Damn not now Kathryn.” The doctor muttered rushing back to her side. “Nurse get that baby off her before she drops it.”

Kathryn having lost all feeling sensed the nurse take Justin from her arms and shivered, then a blackness passed over her eyes and she began losing consciousness. She tried to fight it off willing her heavy lids to stay open, she couldn’t sleep yet, her baby was in danger.

“You promised me you wouldn’t let any of them die.” Tom placed a hand against the incubator where his daughter struggled to breath while looking in terror at the blood-covered floor.

“And I’m not going to! Nurse where is doctor Cox?”

“The orderly’s are trying to find him.” The nurse answered looking in vain out of the med bay window.

“Then find someone else, anyone fast.” The EMH ordered and the nurse dashed off leaving the doctor even more short handed.

“What about the baby?” Tom yelled exasperated at the situation. Turning in circles he saw his father watching from the corridor and knew he had to act. “If you wont do anything then I guess I’ll have too.”

Lifting the baby from its support unit Tom cradled it in the crook of his arm and began heart massage. Five compressions and one breath, five compressions and one breath.

Owen Paris eased himself cautiously into the med bay and watched as the air from his son’s lungs inflated those of his granddaughters.

“Come on little one.” Tom urged, his voice shaking as he did 5 more compressions with his two giant fingers over her heart. “Come on little ‘Katie’ I know you can do this.” Two more breaths. “Breathe for daddy, Katie breathe!”

Little Katie suddenly went rigged in his arm then floppy again as the gurgling sounds of dry air filling wet lungs came from her tiny body. The next sound everyone heard was the beautiful tiny meow of new life struggling into the world. “She’s alive!” Tom gasped swinging around to show Kathryn, who managed between drooping eyelids to witness the first screams and fist waving of her daughter before loosing the battle to stay awake.

“DOCTOR!”

“She’s passed out that’s all, I assure you.” The EMH said calmly to align Tom’s fears then silently nodded to his remaining nurse who promptly scooped Katie up from his arms and placed her in the second incubator along side Justin.

Shook of what he had just done hit Tom like a phaser rifle, stepping back slowly from the crib, dazed and half blind from the tears rolling down his cheeks he turned and flung himself into his fathers arms.

“It’s ok son.” Owen Paris said holding up Tom’s trembling frame. “You did good son, you did good.” There was pride in his voice and tears in his own eyes.


Tom Paris sat at Kathryn’s bedside, he’d been ordered home by his father for a perfunctory twelve hours. Not knowing exactly what to do he tried to sleep failed, eaten cold pizza with root beer, giving himself indigestion, made numerous vid calls to the hospital checking on Kathryn and the baby’s and answered his messages, both of them.

In his absence Kathryn had been moved to a private room, from which upon his arrival, Tom had found a nurse wheeling a crib with a screaming baby that could only have been Justin.

“Hold up.” Tom called catching the nurses arm. “Where are you taking my son?”

“To the nursery,” The nurse yelled over the noisy baby not noticing that as soon as Tom leaned over the crib and smiled it stopped wailing. “Oh sorry, he’s been screaming half the morning. Mrs Janeway is having trouble breastfeeding so he’s hungry all the time.”

“Why don’t you just give him a bottle?” Tom suggested trying to extract his fore finger from his son’s tiny but strong grasp.

“That’s what I’m going to do now, while Mrs Janeway gets some rest. So I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t disturb her.”

“First of all I wouldn’t dream of disturbing her and secondly it’s ‘Miss’ Janeway or Admiral Janeway to you. If you have any problems with that, speak with Admiral Paris.”

“Oh!” The nurse gasped. “Of course sir, I’m sorry sir.”

“That’s ok nurse…Rhodes, just make sure you take good care of my boy.” Tom smiled at the nurse waved bye, bye to Justin then continued down the corridor.

Within seconds of him leaving Justin began to wail again. “Like father, like son.” Thought Tom entering Kathryn’s room to find her fast asleep with the afternoon’s sunlight curtained out. He quietly settled himself into the easy chair at Kathryn’s side and waited for her to wake. But before long the sound of her gentle rhythmic breathing began to sooth him and he found himself drifting off into the sleep that had eluded him earlier.


“Tom!” The voice came out of the dark. “Tom!” It was a soft voice calling him. “Tom Justin is crying.” Tom Paris opened his eyes to find Kathryn moving restlessly in her bed, calling out to him. She wasn’t quiet awake yet and her dream was breaking through to the surface of her consciousness.

“Tom, Tom Justin’s crying.” She kept repeating.

Ignoring his own dream remnants and the sleep encrusting his eyes Tom slipped onto Kathryn’s bed and taking her shoulders firmly in his grasp shook her gently. “Kathryn, Kathryn wake up.” Tom called, delighted to feel her calm down at the sound of his voice.

“Tom? What?” Kathryn slowly opened her eyes and then as if snapping too did a quick search of the room. “Where’s Justin?”

“Its ok the nurse has him.”

“He was crying.”

“I know I heard him as I arrived.” Tom smiled at the memory of the cacophony that had greeted him. “Got a pair of lungs on him that one.”

“He was hungry. I couldn’t……….I was too tired.” Kathryn looked away briefly then back to Tom. “How’s Katie, have your seen her?”

“I checked on her before I came to see you, she’s doing fine. The neurological checks came back negative and her stats are perfect, just like she is.”

“You know I’ve not thanked you yet for ‘naming’ our ‘daughter’.”

“Ah!” Tom chuckled. “That wasn’t exactly planned.”

“I know, I saw.” Janeway reached up and tenderly touched Tom’s face. Remembering how he had breathed life back into their baby, she pushed herself up from the pillows and softly touched her lips to his before drawing him into a real kiss.

Tom responded to the kiss by easing Kathryn back down onto the bed while increasing the pressure of his mouth. Powerfully moving his tongue between Kathryn’s teeth then deep down into her throat. Moaning with pleasure Kathryn snaked her arms around Toms neck and relaxed her self against his torso. Passionately entwining her own tongue around his as her fingers twisted into his hair. During Tom’s months out of Starfleet he’d let it grow longer, allowing the blond curls of his youth to creep back.

Alarm bells suddenly began ringing in Kathryn’s head, the same bells she’d ignored 8 months earlier. Dragging her tongue out of Tom’s grasp while moving her hands down to his chest she pushed him up and away from her. “We need to have that talk.”

“As much as I would like to protest your right.” Panted Tom, while repositioning himself so he was out of kissing reach.

“I received a communiqué this morning.” Kathryn blurted out like it was a big secret she wanted to get off her conscious.

A little knot of fear tightened inside Tom, had the message been from Belanna, had she found out. “A communiqué?”

“From Starfleet head quarters, they have rescinded my active duty status ‘PERMANENTLY’. I am forever earth bound and desk bound.”

“AH!” Tom knew this was a big blow to her but couldn’t find the right words to respond.

Kathryn on the other hand seemed happy with his silence and changed the subject. “What about you, have you heard back from the interview panel yet?”

“I have yes.” Tom shifted uneasily on the edge of the bed.

“Well?”

“I didn’t get the position.”

“Oh!” Now it was Kathryn’s turn to be lost for words.

“But they did offer me one on DS19.”

“But that’s………”

“On the Klingon Federation boarder.” Finished Tom. “I would be closer to Belanna but as far away from you as possible.”

“Did you accept it?” Kathryn asked, unsure as to weather she wanted him to say yes or no but not expecting the outburst that followed.

“NO!” Tom stood and began pacing the room. “I’m not being shunted off to some backwater space station because Starfleet’s making some policy changes that our relationship doesn’t adhere too. I thought the Federation had a more open mind than this.”

Kathryn eased herself up to a sitting position. “The federation does, Starfleet doesn’t. She’s still run on the traditional doctrines, where captains don’t consort with lower ranks. They certainly don’t get them pregnant out of wedlock.”

“We’ve done nothing wrong and shouldn’t be punished for it.” Tom returned to Kathryn’s side and caressed her cheek affectionately.

This made her next words very difficult to say. “Maybe you should accept the job.”

“What! You agree with them?”

“No! That’s not what I meant.” Kathryn could see the hurt building up in Tom’s eyes. “But as you said, it would be closer to Belanna.”

She was doing it again, pushing him away. “What about us? Katie? Justin?”

“We wouldn’t work Tom.” It was tearing her apart to say the words but they had to be said.

“You’ve got everything planned out haven’t you and none of it involves me?”

“Your welcome to visit anytime you want.” Kathryn reached out to Tom but he pulled away.

“Just not stay!”

“Tom?”

Tom raised his hands in a mock surrender. “It’s ok, after all you never wanted me here in the first place, did you?”

“ It wasn’t like that, I know I kept you out of the loop but it was to spare you all this, the pain of having to choice between Miral and the twins, between Belanna and me.”

“Well if that was your plan it failed.” He could feel anger towards Kathryn welling up inside of him and he didn’t like it. “I’m here now and I have the right to choose, no matter how painful a choice it maybe.”

Kathryn shook her head. “I don’t want you to choose.” This definitely wasn’t how she had planned things and she didn’t want it to go on any longer. “Go back to your wife Tom, go back to your daughter.” There she had said it.

“I have a daughter here and a son, what of them?” Toms mind was reeling. “I breathed life into little Katie for heavens sake how can I leave her?”

“And how can you abandon Miral, a hundred minders will never replace her father.” This was getting them nowhere thought Kathryn then she remembered something Belanna had once told her. “Didn’t you once promise Belanna you would never leave them the way her father had?”

“That’s a low blow and this is different I…………”

Kathryn placed her hand firmly over Tom’s mouth so he couldn’t say anymore. “No its not! I don’t need you Tom and the twins don’t need you, so go back, go back home and try again.”

Tom removed Kathryn’s hand and held it tightly. “I don’t want to leave you, I love you.”

“I know you do and I love you.” Kathryn leant forward and kissed Tom, It was a brief kiss the kind friends exchange not lovers. “But it’s a love that was never meant to be.”

“How can you say that after all the times fate has thrown us together.” Tom felt a heavy lump rising from his stomach and he knew no matter what he said he wasn’t going to win this one.

“If it is fate that we be together, then fate will throw us back again.” Kathryn rested her hand over Tom’s heart it was beating awfully fast. “Tuck us away in your heart with Phoebe and get on with your life, please!”

He’d lost; she was sending him away again and this time it would probably be for good. “I’ll go but I wont forget you, I wont forget what we had together and still have.”

“I’ll have two of the best reasons to remember you." To remember and miss Kathryn reminded herself then buried the thought fast.

“You will tell them about me wont you?” Tom asked uncertainty in his voice.

“If I don’t there grandfather will.” Kathryn replied with a heavy smile, it was not something she was looking forward too.

Tom brushed the forever-errant strand of hair from Kathryn’s face then let his fingers trace the contours of her cheek bones as his hand dropped to cradle her chin. “I need you to say it just once more for me.” Moving closer and pushing against the palms of Kathryn’s hands as they rested on his chest, Tom touched his lips to hers and drew them into an embrace.

Tilting Kathryn’s head back so he could caress the silky skin off her neck he ravaged Kathryn’s mouth, taking as much pleasure as he could from her blood red lips one last time. This was the kiss that she would always remember him by and the kiss he would take with him wherever he went.

The heat burning inside Kathryn distracted her for a moment then she realised what Tom was doing and with a slight pressure of her hands broke contact, yet even as she did her bruised lips moved softly against his. “Go!” They mimed and in a single swift movement Tom fled the room.


“Take care of them Dad, Kathryn too.” Tom released his father from the bear hug.

“I’ll take care of them all, but who is going to take care of you?” Owen Paris asked, one eye on the boarding light flashing behind his son’s head.

Tom swung his bag over his shoulder and made to leave. “I can take care of myself.” He said smiling his infamous smile before turning away and walking out of earshot.

“That’s what I’m afraid of.” Owen Paris said to himself as he waved goodbye. “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

The End