The start of a new year at Starfleet Academy always played havoc on the flower beds, making Boothby’s constant vigil all the more vital. The truth be told though, even without the danger to his flora he would still be out in the gardens watching as the new recruits arrived and the old wiser ones returned.

He watched one group of three cadets in particular as they ran towards him, their new uniforms as bright as the roses blooming around him.

“Boothby.”

The only boy in the group called out his name as they stopped panting for breath before him. He was quite tall with striking blue eyes and sandy hair but Boothby’s eyes travelled first to the name tag over his right breast pocket, ‘Janeway’.

“I see you’ve kept your mothers name young Justin.” Boothby commented raising an eyebrow.

“I’ve been called JJ all my life and with these two sporting the ‘Paris’ name I figured I’d give the instructors a break.”

Boothby nodded and turned his attention to the two girls.

“Miral it’s good to see you again.”

The half blood Klingon ran into his arms and hugged him in her vice like grip.

“It’s only been three months since my last visit.”

“Yes but your visits have been so fleeting over the past year that I hardly remember them.”

“Hog wash! Your memory is as clear today as when my grandfather was a cadet.”

“Hmm, I take it this uniform means you have finished with those monks on Borath now?”

“My year with them was as enlightening for them as it was for me.” Miral chuckled. “I can speak Romulan perfectly now and I

I’ve started on Bolian and Chinese for fun.”

“You are a credit to your mother. And speaking of mothers, Boothby released Miral and hugged the smallest of the trio. Her long auburn hair was tied in a ponytail that still swayed even though she had stopped running.

“Katie you look more and more like your mother everyday.”

“Oh Boothby you tease so.”

“Have your parents returned from their ambassadorial duties yet?”

“No they can’t make it until tomorrow.”

“Uncle Tuvox is watching us.”

Just then a bell rang and the milling cadets began moving with purpose in the same direction.

“We have to go,” Katie said “Admiral Barclay is giving the start of term address and he hates people arriving late, it puts him off.”

The three cadets began to leave.

“Don’t you forget to come and see me from time to time?” Boothby called after them.

“We won’t.” The trio said in unison. And waving moved away from their old friend

“And mind my flower beds.” The Starfleet gardener added smiling broadly.

The three siblings left, joking and laughing all the way to the meeting hall. Today was the start of an adventure, but little did they know, what an adventure it was going to be.


Personal transporters had been invented, scrapped reinvented and shelved many times over the course of federation history. There are only two beings in the federation that have to this date ever successfully used a prototype. One was an android named Data the other was a Hologram named…... well his name isn’t important. You see the technology to transport yourself to another place needs careful handling, otherwise accidents happen and this were the human error element comes in. But as Data wasn’t technically human and the EMH from Voyagers computer could never be described as human there was little chance of them getting it wrong.

Nevertheless, Voyagers EMH found himself materialising in the wrong dorm room twice before he found the slumbering figure of one Justin Janeway, approaching the cadet quietly so as not to disturb his room mate the EMH shook the boy awake.

“What!?” just exclaimed upon waking to find a large shadow hovering over him, for a second he thought it was some kind of cadet midnight initiation then a familiar voice went ‘shhh..’

“It’s me the doctor.”

Perplexed Justin had sat up “It’s nice to see you doc but its.” He took a glance at his night stand chronometer. “Two am.”

“A Perfect time for a break out.” The EMH said with mirth.

“Break out?” Justin mind flew back to the initiation prank idea.

“Questions later get dressed we have to go.”

“Go, go where? I’ve got classes in the morning and I’m not allowed to leave the academy grounds.”

“Well classes are going to have to wait and where not just leaving the grounds were leaving the galaxy.” The doctor was beginning to enjoy this part of his plan.

“Sounds like an adventure count me in.” said the figure in the rooms other bed as he threw back the bedcovers.

“Now look what you have done.” Justin said angrily, earlier in the day he had the misfortune of getting into a heated debate with another cadet, that cadet had turned out to be Captain William Rikers son, Ian Riker the debate turned into a fist fight which after being broken up by Captain Barcley earned them the honour of becoming roommates for the rest of their Academy days, that is unless one of them dropped out or was thrown out. Now the obnoxious cuckoo was butting into his private if somewhat unusual business and he didn’t like it. “Riker stay out of this.” He spat at the figure in the other bed then turned back to the still hovering doctor. “I’m not going anywhere in the middle of the night until you tell me what’s going on.”

“Fine it’s your parents they have been kidnapped.”

“Kidnapped!” both boys repeated together.

“By a Ferengi named Quagar.” The doctor continued.

“I know that name.” Justin swung his legs over the side of the bed and tried to remember.

“You have had dealings with him before when you were ten.” The doctor said jogging the boy’s memory.

“The Friedman!” Justin gasped remembering the glimpse he’d got of a squat ugly ferengi before he had transported himself away with the gold. “Shouldn’t he be locked up in a federation jail?”

“Apparently he was recently sprung by some of his cousins.” The EMH rolled his eyes heavenwards at the thought of a Ferengi escaping a federation penal colony.

“So whys he got Janeway’s parents?” Ian asked “Revenge?”

“Not exactly he’s kidnapped a whole bunch of ambassadors and he’s got them hold up on a small planet in the Debar system. Your dad’s been sent in the Enterprise by Starfleet to try and get them back.”

“Starfleet don’t pay ransoms.” Justin said with the realisation of what was going on sinking in.

“Which is why we are going to get them out ourselves?” The doctor replied very seriously just in case the boy thought he was joking.

“We, and whose army?” standing up to face the doctor whom he was now almost as tall as, Justin called his bluff.

“Yeah what can you do?” Ian commented from the other side of the room with a smug grin on his face.

“Plenty, and that’s a site more than your fathers going to do.” The EMH turned to the boy and glowered at him, he’d never met the Captains son before and his first impression was not a good one.

“My dads the best captain in Starfleet he was trained by Admiral Picard, and he’s got the enterprise what have you got?” Ian stood up on his bed he was taller than Justin but not as tall as the EMH so he used the height of the bed to boost his moral.

“I have the Delta Flyer.” The Doctor said, out smugging the young pup bouncing on his bed like a two year old. “Captain Paris original ship from Voyager is here at the academy.”

Justin felt his stomach flip and his chest puff out all at the same time with the mention of his father’s ship, she had been copied reworked and some would say improved but the original prototype ship had been left intact and up until the summer had resided at the Utopia Planitia ship yards. “If this is to be a family rescue we’ll need Miral and Katie.”

“Girls yuck.” Ian said in disgust while jumping down from his bed.

“My sisters are top of their classes and I’m not going anywhere without them.”

“Neither am I.” The doctor confirmed. “Their dorms my next port of call, get dressed. I can only take you one at a time with the personal transporter.”

“A ‘PT’ I thought you had the door codes or something I’m not using a ‘PT’ those things are unreliable we’ll probably end up in a wall or something.”

“Who said you are coming?”

“I did.” Ian lifted his chin, remembering how Justin had taken a swing at it earlier. “If you don’t I’ll raise the alarm.”

“That would be a bit difficult unconscious.” Justin said moving to cross the room but finding the doctor blocking his path.

“A fourth person could come in handy if we have to fight our way out.” the doctor said resting a hand on the boys shoulder.

Justin smiled; yeah we could always use him as a diversion while we escape.”

“Hey!” called out Ian.

“You’re on the team.” The Doctor turned to Riker and addressed him. “This means you take orders from me or whom ever I put in charge.”

Ian Riker mulled his choices over in his head, stay and raise the alarm once he had regained consciousness or go on an adventure that could impress the commander selection board, There was nothing to decide really. “Ok, you’re on.”


Once the EMH had Justin and Ian stashed in the Delta Flyer the doctor went back for the girls, bringing Miral first.

“Hey bro your mums got my dad in trouble again.” She announced after the doc had vanished to fetch Katie.

“My mum’s pulled our dad out of trouble more times than you’ve had live gaaggh.” Justin replied to his sister friendly banter.

“More like the other way around.” Miral said with a smile then punched her brother on the arm for effect.

Just then the doctor re-appeared with Katie

“Sorry I took so long JJ I needed to get my tool belt.” Katie patted the leather pocketed belt around her waist it contained all the equipment she needed to pick locks and tamper with control panels.

“I thought I heard girl voices.” Ian climbed up from the lower deck “Are we all here now?” He asked checking out the ridges on Miral’s head

“Who’s that?” Miral asked turning her back on the staring youth.

“Ian Riker, my room mate and a pain in the butt.” Justin said watching him eye up his sisters and not liking it one bit.

“I don’t know about a pain.” Miral whispered to Katie. “But he’s got a cute butt.”

“Eyes off sis, I saw him first.”

“Liar I was here first.”

“Year well I saw him six years ago on the Enterprise, so there.”

“No fair you weren’t even interested in boys then.”

“Girls you can fight over him later we have more important things to do like rescue our parents from the hands of a latinum deranged Ferengi.” Justin hadn’t meant to imply that he wanted either of his sisters to have anything to do with Ian Riker but he needed them to concentrate on the job at hand not swooning over some chiselled jawed cad.

“Justin will you be pilot?” the doctor said to help break up the tension in the room.

“Hang on!” Ian called out from the back. “I’ve got piloting skills too.”

“True but you’ve never flown the Delta Flyer before.” The doctor stood to one side and let Ian get a view of the controls. Tom Paris, Justin’s father and the Flyers designer, had incorporated some unusual features into the construction of the control panel, including switches, buttons, joysticks and leavers. Ian had never seen a console like it, proficient as he was with standard Starfleet touch pad controls he didn’t have a clue where to start with the Flyers.

“It’s not exactly federation standard.” Ian said “But I could probably learn what’s what pretty quickly.”

“I’m sure you could.” The Doctor said “However were in a hurry so I think we’ll let Justin handle things this time.”

“Sure I’ll just go and check the….replicators.” Ian deliberately brushed past Miral on his way to the rear of the cabin so he could get a closer look at her face; she was strangely beautiful for a half breed.

“When we get to this moon what’s the plan.” Katie asked.

“Quagar’s fortress is built into the side of a small mountain; with guards, force fields, sensors and other fancy stuff protecting it, he’s supposedly spent a fortune in latinum on the defences for this building then slaughtered the man who designed it to stop him revealing its weaknesses. Nevertheless I’ve found a man who knows a way in via a back door that Quagar doesn’t even know about.”

“Why haven’t you turned this info over to my father and Starfleet?” Ian asked

“Because I don’t trust the federation not to botch things up, or go after Quagar first and the hostages second.”

“My father wouldn’t do that.” Ian replied defensively.

“Your father will do as he is ordered, where as I follow no orders but my own and will do what ever it takes to ensure the safety of my best friends.”

Ian Riker opened his moth to reply but he Doctor turned his back on him and spoke to Justin.

“I’ve already entered the co-ordinates into navigation you just need to steer us around the obstacles.” Watching Justin run his hands over the controls of the flyer brought back memories of the times he has flown with his father. Glancing back at him Justin flashed a broad grin that sent a shiver down the doctor’s holographic spine. The boy had grown into the spitting image of his father, sandy hair, blue yes and cheeky grin, and if he turned out to be half the man Tom Paris was he would make a fine officer that is if they got back alive and he wasn’t thrown out of the Academy for going AWOL.


The doors of the Starfleet academy hanger opened silently to reveal a dark starry sky and an empty launch pad. Alarm systems and sensors that would have alerted the campus security had been neutralised by the doctor allowing Justin as much time as he needed to manoeuvre the Delta Flyer into position for take off.

“What about Starfleet headquarters tracking grid they will record our flight path and inform the academy staff within minuets.” Said Ian, leaning over Justin to watch how his fellow cadet handled the controls.

“Not if they can’t see us.” Miral piped up from her seat at the science consol.


Admiral Barclay was still on the fringe of dropping off to sleep when his combadge began chirping in his right ear. Grunting he reached over to his night stand and slapped the metal emblem.

“This had better be good.” He said, resisting a yawn.

“Four cadets and a hologram have just stolen the Delta Flyer and were last reported heading for Mars.”

It had to be a joke a beginning of term prank. “Don’t be daft Lieutenant.” Barclay sat up and swung his legs over the side of his bed. “Holograms can’t fly shuttles and none of the cadets know how to pilot the Delta Flyer.”

“Oh yes they do,” The lieutenant on watch quipped. “In fact I can name 3 who are quite familiar with the controls.”

Barclay’s eyes shot wide open. “Paris, Janeway and Paris, let me guess the Hologram was Voyagers old EMH.”

“From what we can tell, most probably, yes.”

“So who’s the third cadet?”

“You’ll never guess.” The lieutenant said making Barclay wait, which probably wasn’t a good plan considering how fast his mood was swinging towards angry. “Ian Riker, Captain Rikers son!”

“I’ve a feeling this trip isn’t just a joyride.”

“Admiral what should we do?”

“Nothing for now, just track them.” Barclay stood and crossed to where he had laid out his clean uniform for the morning.

“Well that’s the other thing.” The Lieutenant cleared his throat.

“What?” Barclay paused one leg into his pants.

“The Delta Flyer was refitted with a cloaking device for cadet training and they have activated it.”

Barclay shoved his other leg in and pulled his pants up. “So when you said they were last seen heading for Mars you weren’t just making small talk?”

“Eh… No sir.”

“Not to worry Lieutenant,” Barclay pulled his shirt over his head and smiled. “I have a pretty good idea as to there destination.”


Tom Paris slipped his arm around Kathryn’s waist and pulled her closer to him. Megas was huge for a Ferengi, probably some sort of mixed race throw back. He didn’t have very large ears but his beady eyes glared menacingly from above a malevolent grin as he shoved the last of the 12 ambassadors down the stairs.

They were in one of the rooms beneath Quagar’s Fortress, though as Paris looked around at the stone windowless walls it reminded him more of a castle dungeon. It was furnished with wooden bunks and a long wooden table, giving it a 20th century school dorm like feeling but that’s were the similarity ended.

Kathryn squeezed Tom’s hand drawing his attention back to the stairs; Quagar stood at the top a fat sneer across his fat face.

“I will be contacting your governments for payment, but if you know of any family member or organization that would be more willing to meet my price instead let me know. The sooner I get paid the sooner you get to go home.”

Mummers went around the room followed quickly by raised voices of indignation; these were soon silenced by a crack of Megas’s whip.

Quagar moved slowly down the steps, all the time flanked on either side by his phaser wielding lackeys.

“Some of you will probably be here longer than the others.” As he approached the ambassadors they parted to allow him a view of Tom and Kathryn. “We meet again. Or don’t you remember me?”

“How could we forget?” Paris replied standing as tall as he could before the undersized Ferengi Mercenary.

“I’ll never forget I spent 5 years in a stinking federation penal colony because of you two and your urchins. If only I could get my hands on one of them?” He was almost drooling at the thought.

“Stay away from my family Quagar,” Kathryn hissed back at him. “Or you will not live to regret it.”

“Is that a threat ambassador?” He dared to move closer to her.

“No it’s a promise.”

“Shame I like a good threat it adds to the excitement of a deal, Oh but the federation doesn’t do deals.” He squealed like a pig and made to prod Kathryn in the chest with his podgy finger.

But Tom was too quick for him; in one swift movement he placed her out of harms way and stepped up to the Ferengi. “You have bitten off more than you can chew this time. The federation will come after you with guns blazing for this.”

“For what kidnapping twelve old fools that can be replaced by tomorrow morning if need be. I doubt if they will blink let alone send anyone to rescue you if that’s what you’re relying on.”

“Well see.”

“Yes we will.” Quagar spun on his heals and headed back up the stairs. “Oh and a word of warning, in case you get any bright ideas about escaping, my men have been ordered to shoot you where it hurts the most rather than to kill, after all your worth more alive than dead, but they can get a little forgetful so I wouldn’t chance your luck. Goodnight.”

Quagar flounced out followed by his entourage, Megas was last securing the door as he left. Paris heard the sound of a metal key and a bolt being slide across then foot steps walking away.

“No eclectic locking system or guard.” He said turning to face Kathryn

“He probably doesn’t think were worth it. But if you’ve got any bright ideas of escaping forget it.”

“Me?”

“Yes you, you’re not the young buccaneer you used to be, and anyway…” Kathryn slipped her arms around his shoulders. “….I’m exhausted.”

“Then I suggest we grab a bunk before all the good ones are taken.” Paris indicated behind her where the other ambassadors were pairing off and seeking out sleeping arrangements. Most of them were moving to the back of the room but Paris wanted one with a good view of the door, just in case an opportunity for escape did arise.


“IAN!!!” Captain William Riker hollered. He was glad he was sitting down at his ready room desk or would have fallen over. “Are you sure?” He asked just in case there was any doubt.

“Yes we did a bed check.” Barclay had expected his old friend to be angry but as he watched his face turn bright red he began to worry a little. “Have you any thought as to why he would do something so foolish?”

Ian considered his son for a moment then thinking back to what he had been like at that age came up with only one answer.

“For the adventure, he’s always been a hot head, taking any dare offered, pursuing danger for the fun of it. I had hopped five years at Starfleet academy would level him out.” Ian shook his head. “I guess the others are here to try and rescue of there parents?”

Barclay nodded. “Although I don’t see how four cadets and a hologram are going to break into Quagar’s Fortress evade a contingent of ferengi mercenaries and escape with 2 hostages?”

“Ha!” Ian laughed. “Your talking about four of the most experienced kids in Starfleet not to mention a hologram that is…. well resourceful to say the least. I wouldn’t bet my retirement on them pulling off such a stunt.”

“I hope your wrong, because there careers in Starfleet are on the line here.”

“Don’t worry Reg old friend I’ll have them back home and tucked up in there beds before lights out tomorrow.”

“Good hunting. By the way what is the news on the ambassadors?”

“Not good Quagar has threatened to harm them if we don’t begin proceedings to meet there ransom demands.”

“Harm!” Barclay swallowed hard. Tom and Kate were good friends of his.

“He didn’t elaborate however he said it with a sneer and a chuckle.”

“Have you been given clearance to send in insurgents?”

“Yes, at my dissection.”

Barclay’s shoulders drooped, “Good luck Will, bring them home safe. All of them.”

Barclay signed of leaving Riker to inhale then exhale deeply. He was going to need a calm clear head for his next objective, “Computer, locate my wife please?”


The Delta Flyer and its small crew reached the Denbar system just as their fellow cadets were probably sitting down to breakfast and took stationary orbit behind a small moon that circled the planet where Quagar had his strong hold.

“Why can’t we just land?” Ian moaned while pacing the flyers tiny bridge.

“Because we can only maintain the cloak for 2 hours once we come out of warp.” The doctor explained. “We would be spotted by the Enterprise within seconds.”

“Anyway were waiting for the docs snitch.”

“Snitch?” Ian stopped by Miral and pulled a face. “What is a ‘snitch’?”

“A Snitch is someone who exchanges information for profit.” Miral explained without looking up at Ian.

“Sounds like a Ferengi to me.”

“We are waiting for a friend of mine who has the information from the snitch.” The doctor clarified for Ian’s benefit. “Unfortunately she’s late.”

“Are you worried doc?” Katie asked.

“Hardly Seven can take care of herself.”

“Seven? You mean Seven of Nine the Borg woman?” Ian’s eyes popped wide open. He had never met the infamous Seven of Nine he’d heard stories about her and seen vids but now he was going to meet her in person.

“Hey!” Justin leaped out of his seat and squared up to Ian. “Seven is no Borg.”

“That’s not what I’ve heard.”

“She’s a family friend so you had better watch your mouth Riker!”

“Boys stop it.” The doctor placed a hand between them. “You’re supposed to be Starfleet cadets, young gentlemen, try acting like one.”

“We have company.” Miral called. “A small shuttle craft just rounded the edge of the moon and is heading our way.”

“Seven to the Doctor can you here me?”

“Perfectly, you’re clear to dock.”


As he lay on his back listening to the murmuring of the other ambassadors; Tom Paris occasionally recognised some of the alien words and got the feeling that they were planning something stupid. Kathryn was nestled beside him with her head resting on his shoulder and an arm draped across his chest, likewise his arm was wrapped around her waist. She’d fallen asleep fretting about missing their visit with the kids at the academy back on earth, Tom was just glad they hadn’t been with them.

A bolt sliding back on the door to their ‘cell’ brought the ambassadors murmurings to a halt followed by a mad shuffling back to their respective bunks as the key rattled then turned in the lock.

The light from beyond was blocked by the huge frame of Megas who stood at the top of the stairs and bellowed “Him!”, while pointing his whip at Paris. The two smaller guards immediately descended the dungeon steps and made a bee line for him.

Janeway having woken from the noise propped herself up. “What does Quagar want now?” she asked, not caring if the great oaf of a Ferengi heard her.

“This won’t take long honey.” Tom said planting a kiss on her lips just before the guards dragged him off the bunk. “Keep the bed warm for me.” He called as they encourage him to climb the stairs by prodding a phaser in the small of his back.

“Don’t I always.” Kathryn called back but as the door shut a cold shiver ran down her spine.

Once it was locked and the guards footsteps had died away the ambassadors gathered back into their group and returned to their murmurings. Ignoring them Kathryn resettled herself into the warm space that Tom had left, the musty covers held a faint scent of his cologne. Breathing deep she willed the sense of foreboding in her gut back to its dark depths and thought about their children walking the halls of Starfleet Academy as they went to and fro from their lessons.


Tom Paris was quiet willing to walk between the two guards but they seemed to get so much pleasure out of dragging him along that he let them. He even allowed them to fling him to the floor in front of Quagar’s desk. Actually with the copious amounts of food and drink spread across it, it was more like a buffet table than a desk. Getting to his feet Paris resisted a chuckle at the throne size chair behind the Smörgåsbord that held the diminutive rotund Ferengi.

Slurping from an oversized wine glass the latinum thief looked Paris up and down and chuckled. “A Captain Riker of the Enterprise has asked for proof that you are still alive.” He paused; waiting for Paris response but Tom just stood with his hands behind his back rocking on his heels and said nothing.

“I could just let you talk to him but I know how clever you federation are with your secret codes hidden inside ordinary words.” Quagar took another huge gulp of his drink. “So I have derived another means of proof.”

The two guards suddenly grabbed Paris by his shoulders and pushed him to his knees in front of the food laded table. Megas then approached from the side seized his right arm and held it out over the delicacy’s.

What took place next was something Paris would never forget. With a wide smirk across his face Megas removed a laser knife from inside his robe and sliced it across Paris wrist, severing his hand. The appendage dropped with a thud onto the table, the nerve endings in his fingers still alive with electrical pulses twitched as it lay between the plates of meat and sweetbread.

The pain was brief due to the cauterising effect of the knife and there was no blood, nevertheless the air hung heavy with the pungent smell of burnt flesh and Paris felt dizzy with shock. Released from the guards grasp Paris cradled his dismembered arm against his chest as he came to terms with what had just occurred.

“I’ll make sure it gets delivered straight away.” Quagar said then began laughing very loudly.

Paris thought about leaping over the table and stuffing the end of his severed wrist down the ugly Ferengi’s throat unfortunately Megas was quicker, aiming a phaser at him he fired point blank range. The next thing Paris knew he was waking up back on the dungeon bunk with Kathryn’s tearful face gazing down at him.


Seven entered the Delta Flyer via its lower deck docking hatch and climbed the stairs up to the bridge. She was wearing a long brown hooded cape and healed boots that accentuated her height. As she lowered the hood to reveal her long blond hair plump red lips and shiny Borg eye piece Ian’s jaw dropped open.

Noticing the gawking lad Seven asked. “Who is he?”

Pushing himself forward Ian stuck out his hand. “I’m Ian Riker, Captain Rikers son.”

Seven ignored the outstretched hand as she looked him up and down. “I don’t shake hands.” She said then raised a quizzical eye brow in the doctor’s direction.

“He’s Justin’s room mate, we had to bring him to keep him quiet.”

“It didn’t work.” Seven commented.

Miral and Katie both laughed then in unison ran up to Seven and double hugged her.

“It’s good to see you again and together.” Seven said, smiling profusely at the two girls. “Justin you cut your hair.”

Justin pushed Ian aside and replaced his sisters in Sevens embrace. “Thank you for helping us.” He said.

“Your father is one of my best friends and I owe my life many times over to your mother.”

“I take it you have the map.” The doctor inquired.

“Stored in my neural net, it will take but moments to download it. I suggest you learn it by heart; it would not do to be found with it on your person.”

“Don’t worry Katie could memorise the Ferengi sewer system from one glance.”

Seven nodded, and then lowering her voice drew the doctor aside. “I need to speak with you alone.”

The doctor understood. “There are garments such as Seven’s in the lower compartment go put them on we will be leaving shortly.”

The cadets moved quickly; glad to be doing something at last. However Justin hung back at the bottom of the steps one ear tuned into the conversation above.

“The ferengi Quagar sent a message to the Enterprise just before I left the surface.” She drew the doctor closer. “They also transported a small object to the Enterprise.”

“I’m not sure I understand what you’re telling me.”

“My contact on the Enterprise said it was a severed hand, One of Tom’s.”

“His hand! Why?”

“A scare tactic probably but from what I’ve found out about Quagar he probably enjoyed doing it.”

“This is not good.”

“Moreover this means that captain Riker has the justification to send in an insurgent team.”

“I think we should call this off.” The doctor said moving away from Seven and towards the steps.

Justin ducked back into the lower room; his face must have registered the horror of what he had just heard because Katie was starring at him.

“What’s up JJ?” she asked.

“Nothing, Seven was just saying the Enterprise is thinking of sending a team in.”

“I told you my dad wouldn’t leave them their, this whole thing is unnecessary.”

“I wouldn’t trust your dad to rescue a cat from a tree.”

“He saved your butt back when you were just a snivelling nose wipe.”

“I’d put your lights out but I’m trying to behave like a gentleman.”

“Well I’m not.” Miral slammed her fist into Ian’s upper arm causing him to cry out in pain.

“What’s going on?” The doctor called as he dropped down the stairs.

“Nothing.” Justin spoke up. “We just collided while getting changed. Didn’t we Ian?” He glared at the bruised but silent boy.

“I think I over estimated your ability.” The doctor took in each of there faces. “I’m starting to doubt weather this was a good plan or that you’re up to this.”

“What no were ready, we can do this.” Miral shouted pushing the squabbling boys aside. “We can’t just sit around while our parents are in danger and anyway now Seven is here Quagar doesn’t stand a chance.”

“Seven can’t come, if she gets near the fortress sensors they will detect her Borg implants and give us away.”


An uneasy silence had descended over the ambassadors upon seeing what there Ferengi Captors had done to Paris. No longer did they talk in huddles, but sat in separate pairs silently staring in any direction other than where the federation emissary was.

Unable to look at the mutilated end of his arm Paris with Janeways help fashioned a bandage and sling from the bunks sheets.

“You know what this means don’t you?” Kathryn said keeping her voice low.

They were sitting together on the edge of the bunk with there back to the room and there eyes on the door.

Slipping his good arm around her waist Tom, whispered back, “Rikers on the case, he knows his stuff.”

As seasoned Starfleet officers they both know that after receiving Paris severed hand, an order to storm the fortress would be issued. It was just a matter of time; The Enterprises captain William Riker would either wait for night fall to attack in the dark, or just before dawn when hopefully most of Quagar’s men would be asleep or at least sleepy.

“His son starts at the academy this year as well.” Kathryn said, trying to take her mind off their situation. “I wonder if the kids have met him yet.”

“The first thing we are doing one we get out of here is going to visit them.” Tom placed a promise kiss on Kathryn’s temple, and then as she turned her face up to his, he moved them over her lips and tenderly drew her into a deep embrace.

Returning the kiss Kathryn’s mind flashed back over there years together, settling on the smiling photo she remembered from the late Admiral Paris desk at Starfleet command and how much there son Justin now resembled the image she held so dear.

“What ever happens, “Kathryn said, breaking the kiss and looking up at Tom, “Our children will take care of the future.”

“We did good, didn’t we?”

“We did very good.”

Pulling Kathryn towards him Tom lay back on the bed and eased her body over his. “I love you.” He whispered, watching as a stray strand of hair slipped across her face.

“And I love you.” Kathryn responded whilst tucking the hair back behind her ear.


The shuttle ride down to the foothills below Quagar’s fortress went uneventful, no one was interested in a small time traders craft, even the Enterprise dismissed her coming and going from the far side of the moon as a simple supply run. It would have been chancing it though to land too close or within the Ferengi’s sensor field so the doc piloted the craft low over the farmland and then into a clearing behind a small copse of trees.

The hill wasn’t too steep and the footpaths warn into the rock by the animal herders wand there way up to the stone walls at the summit.

“How far is it?” Ian asked within a minuet of leaving the shuttle.

“Can’t we leave him in the shuttle?” Justin half begged the doctor.

“He probably wouldn’t stay and there’s no one to watch him.”

“I don’t need a baby sitter.” Ian exclaimed giving Justin an evil look.

“Then stop acting like one and get moving.” Miral chided, pushing him on the back and causing him to stumble.

“Hey!”

“To think I once wanted a family.” The doctor took a holographic deep breath then turned to address the squabbling rescue team. “If Captain Riker launches his attack on the fortress before we get inside and find your parents they will probably be killed before the federation team gets to them, so if you’re done bickering we have at least 2 kilometres to travel before it gets dark.”

“Sorry doc.” Katie said moving to pass the hologram and begin the climb.

“We’re sorry too.” Justin said taking Miral’s hand and helping her over the rocks so they could catch up with Katie.

The doctor regarded Ian, he was an interloper, and the others were not giving him any breaks, but he was fining it hard to believe that the troublesome urchin in front of him was the son of the renowned Captain Riker.

Feeling a little alone Ian drew himself up to his full height of five foot nine inches and proclaimed defiantly. “I didn’t start it.”

He was right, and the doctor didn’t want to expand the tension between the cadets, so he just shook his head and indicated for the lad to follow.


Quagar's fortress was more like a medieval stone castle; the only thing missing was a couple of turrets and a moat. It was as the doctor had described built into the side of the hill, with its only approach a causeway that led up to the front. The herders trail lead them around the back of the hillside away from the front fortifications but the doctor had said Quagar had paid out a fortune for security so even if they couldn’t see anything there was probably defences in place protecting the rear too.

Suddenly the doctor stopped in the middle of the path blocking there way forward.

“The sensor field begins just beyond the stream up ahead.” Voyagers EMH pointed to a small ‘trail’ of water that was running back down the way they had climbed up.

“Good that means were close.” Ian heckled from the back.

“It also means I have to leave you now.”

“What!”

“Doc”?

“Why?” The children questioned.

“The same sensors that would pickup Sevens Borg implants will also detect my mobile emitter if it’s active.”

“So what are you going to do wait here until we get back?”

“No you may need me. If I’m inactive one of you can carry me inside, then once beyond the inner wall you can reactivate me.”

“What about the entrance how will we find it?” Ian asked from the back again.

“I showed Katie the map back on the Delta Flyer she knows the way, she will lead you.”

The EMH gave Riker a look that made it plain he had no say in the matter, and then turned to Miral. “I’m putting myself in your hands, something I use to do quite often with your mother so I know I will be safe.”

Miral smiled and nodded, the memories of her mother were painful at times but on this occasion that pain was eased with the pride she felt upon tucking the doctor’s mobile emitter into the corner of her pocket. There was no other EMH or indeed hologram program like the ‘doctor’ and he had entrusted his existence to her.

None of them spoke as Katie took the lead, not even Ian who was still tagging along at the rear. He was trying to ignore the voice in the back of his mind that was telling him he was a fool to be risking not only his life but his Starfleet career on this daft adventure.

Justin a few steps ahead of him, was having thought of his own, but they were a little less self-centred. JJ knew hostage situations didn’t always end successfully for the captives and he feared that they would be too late or worse be overwhelmed by Quagars security and captured themselves.

The mobile emitter felt cool to touch and Miral couldn’t resist stroking it as she followed in her step sisters footsteps, it was reassuring to know he was there and all she needed to do was press the activate panel and he would pop back into ‘life’.

“Oh no!” Katie exclaimed loudly breaking the three followers out of their separate thoughts.

They had been tagging along behind her for nearly twenty minuets and had just rounded a rock outcrop beneath the side of Quagar’s ‘castle’ when she suddenly stopped and called out.

Catching up Justin asked. “What’s wrong, are we lost?”

“No are parents are.” Katie moaned.

“Sis?” Justin said bemused at her answer.

Katie raised her arm and pointed at the side of the hill where a landslide had deposited a flurry of rocks, by this time Justin and Miral had joined them and they all stood staring at the jagged mess as she said “The entrance to the tunnel is under there.”

Silence fell between the four cadets as the situation before them sank in.

Ian was the first to break the peace. “Activate the doctor.” He demanded grabbing Miral’s arm and consequently the hand she had wrapped around the mobile emitter.

“No.” Justin said, batting Ian’s hand free from his sister. “It’s not safe here.”

“Fine, what’s your plan, dig?”

“Sure, why not.” Justin replied.

“Why not, I’ll tell you why not.” Ian said indignantly. “We don’t have anything to dig with and it’s going to be dark soon.”

“You have hands don’t you.” Justin responded as he approached the pile of rocks.

“It can’t be very deep.” Miral added joining her brother. “Together we should be able to clear enough before the light goes.”

“I’m not going back without at least trying.” Katie chipped in scrambling up the fallen rocks. “The entrance should be about here.” She added lifting one of the smaller boulders and tossing it behind her.

It rolled off the pile and came to rest at Ian’s feet, he looked from the rock to his fellow cadets who where now actively digging into the landslide. He didn’t believe they could dig there way in and considered for a moment going back down the hill on his own, but then he thought about what he would do if it was his parents in there, at the mercy of some deranged Ferengi.

“You’re doing it all wrong.” Ian called out as he joined the trio. “We should concentrate in one area, aim to create a gap big enough to slip through, and we should take it in turns.”

“Who put you in charge?” Justin piped up.

“Shut up JJ.” Katie said “He’s right; you and Miral work on the hole first passing the stuff back to me and Ian to clear away then when you get tired we swap places.” Katie looked back and up at Ian, and noted for the first time how tall he was. “That’s what your meant isn’t it?” she asked feeling a little shy under his gaze.

“Yes.” Ian said diverting his eyes from Katie to Justin.

“Oh, yes, sorry.” Justin mumbled, but more for his sisters benefit than Ian’s.

“Good plan you two.” Miral said breaking the tension. “Get digging little brother; let’s see how you match up to a half Klingon girl.”

With that Justin forgot all about Ian and resumed digging, which meant he didn’t see the wink Katie gave Ian or the smile that crossed the boys face as he joined her in moving the rocks. He still didn’t believe they could get through but now he didn’t very much care.


When the bolts and lock of the dungeon door rattled for the third time that evening, the ambassadors shrank back in fear. Each thinking there own thoughts of torture and death but when the guards once more moved with purpose towards the federation envoys they breathed a collective sigh of relief.

However as Paris moved to stand the ferengi pushed him back down allowing Megas the chance to grab Janeway arm and pull her roughly from his side.

“No!” Paris yelled. “Leave her alone!”

“Quiet or I’ll take your other hand for a souvenir.” Megas bellowed then squeezed Janeways arm tighter causing her to cry out in pain. “Quagar only wants to talk to her.”

Paris struggled the best he could with his good hand against the force of the two guards. “You expect me to believe that.”

“Tom don’t.” Kathryn called as Megas dragged her to the door. “I’ll be ok.” She said hoping he wouldn’t do something foolish while she was gone.

“She had better be you hear me Megas, harm her and I’ll chop your appendages off one by one, starting with your reproductive ones.”

Megas’s laugh could be heard even after the door was bolted shut again but Paris didn’t care, and he intended to keep his promise weather it was in this life or the next.


“Captain a Romulan ship has decloacked in orbit over the planet, visual coming on screen now.”

“Status.” Captain Riker called from his seat at the centre of the Enterprise’s Bridge.

“Shields lowered, weapons armed, targeting Quagar’s fortress……Sir they just beamed three people to the planets surface. Co-ordinates put them on the west side close to the Fortress shields.”

“Track them.”

A visual display showing the three Romulan blips opened in the lower left corner of the view screen, but as the they crossed the red line depicting the Ferengi’s security field they winked out of existence.

“Damn.” Riker swore under his breath.

“Does this mean our plans have changed?” Lieutenant commander Wildman asked. She was sitting to Rikers right hand side and glanced casually over at her captain as she waited for his answer. Secretly her heart was pounding hard against her chest in anticipation of the rescue mission she had organised and didn’t want anything, not even the Romulan’s to interfere with it.

“No.” Riker replied putting her at ease. “It does mean though that they will have to be moved up, make sure your team is prepared to go on my word.”

“Aye Captain.”

Captain Riker new his second in command Naomi Wildman had prepared her strike force hours earlier, but his old mentor Captain Picard had once said. ‘You can never be too prepared.’ A sentiment he carried with him and passed onto his own crew. So when Wildman rose to leave the bridge he knew it was just to give her team the heads up.

He had thought twice about letting the young women play a role in rescue plans, considering her connection with Ambassador Janeway and Tom Paris but he had come to know her very well over the last year since her promotion and he knew she was a level headed officer who didn’t let sentiment and emotion get the better of her. There was also the little fact that he had just as much a personal stake in the rescue plan as she had, so couldn’t relive her of the task without excluding himself for same reason and when the balloon went up on this one there was only one place he was going to be, at that was at the front of the queue yelling ‘Ian Riker!’

In the mean time though he had to conform to Starfleet regulations and make contact with the Romulan ship. He was in no doubt as to there reason for being in Denbar system; Quagar had a couple of Romulan ambassadors tucked away in his dungeons with the rest of them and they didn’t like the idea of an inferior species holding a member of the Romulan Empire to ransom. Unfortunately the Romulan’s were not the kind for negotiations and would blow everyone up just to prove a point. So with this in mind Riker tugged the edges of his uniform straight and ordered the communications officer to open him a channel with the Romulan ship.

“Channel open captain, your counter part is a commander Sulamar.”

“Thank you ensign.” Riker acknowledged the piece of information. Sulamar was not known to him which meant he was either new to the job or an old solider that had kept himself inconspicuous. Rikers speculation was answered when a fresh faced Romulan sporting the rank symbols of captain fizzled into view on the main screen.

“Captain.” Riker deliberately didn’t use the Romulan’s name in his greeting after all when playing cards showing your hand too early is a bad move and Riker loved a good game of cards.

The Romulan however obviously didn’t play cards.

“Captain Riker, I am Sulamar of the V’Cara, I assume you have detected the transport of my scout party to the planets surface.”

“We did.” Riker responded.

“They are under orders not to interfere with any efforts your own scouting parties might be performing, unless of course it undermines there.”

“Thank you at a time like this we need to work together not in competition.” Riker didn’t have a team below but he wasn’t prepared to reveal that to the Romulan, co-operation with an adversary always went hand in hand with the ‘need to know’ premises.

“I agree.” Sulamar replied but didn’t elaborate.

“I assume at some point you intend to mount a full assault on the ferengi fortress.” Riker said but didn’t ass ‘Or blow it to smithereens from space’.

“Possibly, the demands of this Ferengi ‘Quagar’ are ludicrous and if he believes the Romulan Empire would submit to them, then he is seriously deranged and a danger to the people.”

“On that I agree.” Riker needed the Romulan captain on his side especially as he had most likely been given the mission as a test of his leadership abilities rather than any relevance to weather he could rescue the ambassadors, whose lives were less important than the mission itself. “My away team is ready to go as soon as my scouting party reports back.” Riker fibbed. “Perhaps we could co ordinate our efforts?”

Sulamar’s expression shifted as he mulled over Rikers offer. He’d obviously been given orders by his superiors, however as a young officer with a reputation to build those orders were open to interpretation.

“My intention was to access the situation then blow the Ferengi to what ever maker he believes in however I have studied federation tactics and I am certain yours are to capture this ferengi and rescue the hostages.”

It was time for Riker to pull an ace from up his sleeve.

“An advantage to capturing the fortress, ferengi and hostages in one piece is that it’s vault of gold pressed latinum would also be liberated.”

“Latinum!” Sulamar moved closer to the view screen. “Are you suggesting that the Romulan Empire or myself would be interested in a few strips of latinum.”

“Well the federation would have no use for it and I heard it was quite a bit more than a few strips.” Greed was not a prime Romulan trait however power was and latinum could buy a lot of power.

“Captain Riker.” Sulamar said slowly and quietly. “I think you and I should discuss this further over a glass of ale.”


Digging through the rockslide was hard work and after half an hour they still hadn’t located the entrance to the tunnel.

“Sis are you sure this is the right spot?” JJ asked her quietly so the others didn’t hear.

“Yes!” Katie hissed back, slightly upset that her brother would doubt her ability to mesmerise and follow complex maps or tunnel arrangements from a single glance.

“Someone’s coming.” Miral had stopped digging and was half listening to the sound of the footsteps that only she could hear with her Klingon enhanced hearing. Unfortunately being only a third generation Klingon she hadn’t been able to give them much of a warning and before they could duck out of sight three Romulan’s rounded the corner and drew their weapons.

The first of the group, who was slightly taller than the others two shouted something in Romulan, which without their Starfleet combadges the cadets couldn’t understand, well three of them couldn’t. Miral had just spent the summer learning to speak Romulan.

“What did they say?” Justin asked, more worried that the Romulan weapons would have alerted the Ferengi, than that they were pointed at him.


“They want to know who we are.” She said then standing up straight and in her best Romulan accent replied. “We are Starfleet cadets and where here to rescue our parents.”

She wasn’t sure how the Romulan soldiers would react to her declaration but she hadn’t expected them to fall about laughing.

“Are the federation so hard up they can’t send real soldiers?” The lead Romulan asked between guffaws.

“Perhaps they are some kind of elite midget Unit.” one of the two behind him said.

“We are a serious rescue party, where as you are bumbling idiots who have compromised our position.” Miral responded angrily.

This just made them laugh even louder which in turn made Miral even more angry, if they had known of her heritage they might have thought twice but as they didn’t….unbeknown to the gathered group two Ferengi guards were approaching them from the other side of the hill, upon hearing the Romulan’s laughter they assumed they had been seen and were being taunted, which caused them to move more quickly towards the group and thus create more sound as they approached.

Alerted by the Ferengi’s advancement the Romulan’s turned their attention from the cadets and opened fire on the new threat, however forgetting they were fighting men of short stature their first shots whizzed over the heads of the Ferengi giving them chance to seek cover as did the Romulan’s.

With only basic projectile weapons and a deep desire not to get between the two new parties Justin grabbed his sisters and pulled them behind the cover of the rock pile they had built trying to clearing the tunnels entrance. He had to keep a tight hold of Miral who had drawn her own weapon and was trying to raise her head so she could get a shot off.

Mesmerised by the gun fight enfolding before him Ian stood his ground. The sight and sounds of the real phaser’s discharging were far superior to any holosuite simulation he had participated in and the smell of scorched earth and blasted rock assaulting his nostrils seemed more caustic than he’d ever realised before.

The Ferengi guards had taken out one of the Romulan’s within minuets of opening fire, evening the odds, however it was soon apparent that they were miss-matched against the remaining Romulan’s who pinned the Ferengi behind inadequately sized rocks then began to pick them off one at a time. The Romulan’s seemed to be enjoying the little skirmish even though one of there own lay dead.

Noting that after just a short time the Romulan’s had the upper hand and would soon be coming back to take care of them Ian decided it was time to take some action of his own. Zigzagging across the rocky ground to where the dead Romulan was laying he scooped up his fallen weapon. One of the ferengi saw him and tried to take a few shots but the barrage of fire from the other Romulan’s prevented him from getting a clean shot, never the less they made Ian flinch and duck lower as he returned to the landslide and aiming at the hole they had been digging fired.

Superheated by the weapon the rocks exploded up and outwards, showering Ian and the other cadets with broken chunks and dust.

“Riker!” Justin yelled once he could lift his head again, but Katie countered his cry with one of her own.

“Look! The entrance, there’s a hole.”

Ian had blown enough of the landslide clear to allow them to gain access. Ignoring the heat from the smouldering rocks Justin pushed his sisters in the direction of the gap then checking that Ian was following scrabbled after them.

Looking back as he brought up the rear once again Ian saw the Romulan’s pickoff the last Ferengi. Expecting them to immediately follow them he was slightly shocked by there next move, which was to go over to where the two aliens lay dead and turning up the intensity of their weapons vaporise the bodies. He wanted to watch and see what they did with there own comrades corpse but Justin was calling him to catch up and he didn’t want to get left behind.


Megas brought Janeway to Quagar’s room by himself, leaving the two guards that usually tagged along with him behind outside the dungeon door. She could have struggled against the hold he had off her arm, but she knew the brute would make her pay for any escape attempt and she needed to keep her health if she was going to get them out alive. Quagar was still sitting behind his table of food and drink, remembering what Tom had told her of his ordeal she shivered at the sight and stood as far back as she was able. Megas was also standing back by the door leaving her and Quagar to speak more confidentially.

“Please sit.” The Fat Ferengi said gesticulating with his wine glass to chair situated closer to the table.

“I’d rather stand.” Kathryn replied

“Perhaps something to eat then.” Quagar responded waving his arm over the food spread before him.

“No thank you.” Kathryn replied again, even if she had been starving the thought of eating any of the food from the table where her husband had been mutilated would have turned her stomach inside out.

“Suit yourself.” Quagar said. “Never let it be said that I wasn’t a cordial host.”

“Kathryn stifled a laugh.”

Ignoring her Quagar emptied his glass then poured another generous helping. “Your federation has been in touch.” He said drooling, liquid from the corner of his mouth.

“Oh.” Kathryn mused.

“They are refusing to pay your ransom but they say if I hand myself in I will get a fair trial and minimal sentence.”

“Sounds like a good deal.” Kathryn replied ignoring the ‘hand’ innuendo.

“As I said yesterday I spent five years incarcerated in one of your federation prisons, and I don’t intend to go back to one.”

“I heard you had the run of a top notch rehabilitation facility on one of Sirius’s moons.”

“Not so top notch I escaped.”

“Only with outside help.” Kathryn glanced around the room as she spoke.

“My family value me, which is more than you can say for your federation.” Quagar paused to burp and pick his teeth. “Even after my little gift they made no effort to come to your rescue.”

The little gift he referred to Kathryn knew to be Tom’s hand, which would have been received by Captain Riker as an excuse to place a wanted dead or alive notice upon Quagar’s head, a notice he would undoubtedly be coming to collect any time now.

“I have given them a solar cycle to pay up or I will take great pleasure in killing you slowly after of course I have had my pleasure with you.”

“Mating with me would kill you.”

“Ha, ha, ha, I love your human sense of humour it will entertain me well into my old age.”

“Was there a reason for bringing me here?” Kathryn asked feigning boredom.

“Only that I wanted some entertainment whilst I eat.” Quagar said chuckling.

“You’ll have all the entertainment you want soon.”

“Oh and whys that?”

“You don’t think the federation is going to stand by while you mutilate their ambassadors do you?” Kathryn approached the table. “Captain Riker is probably planning a full-scale assault on this building as we speak.”

“You mean the three blips my sensors picked up a while ago.” squashing his rotund belly into the edge of the table, Quagar leaned over towards Kathryn. “My men have been sent to dispatch them and will be reporting back any moment with the success of there mission.”

Kathryn did not think for one minuet that Riker would send just three men, if anything they were a vanguard for the real raiding party and Quagar’s men were walking into a trap.


The four cadets moved along the narrow tunnel as it twisted and turned under the hillside and Quagar’s fortress. Twice the tunnel forked but Katie didn’t even hesitate she was following the map in her head as clear as if there were arrows on the walls pointing them in the right direction.

After what seemed like ages the tunnel began to angle upwards, shining her small wrist torch ahead Katie highlighted a small wooden door secured with a metal lock.

“Any sign of those Romulan’s.” Justin whispered to Ian.

“No, I think we lost them at the last fork.” Ian had the Romulan Phaser tucked safely in his belt. It felt good, the weight the size, shape and smell all felt really good, it also made him feel a braver about what they were attempting to do, and he hoped after this was all over Starfleet would let him keep it. “I think the height of these tunnels is slowing them down.”

“They were defiantly built by Ferengi for ferengi.” Justin said agreeing with Ian. “I bet the doctor knew how small these tunnels were, and that’s why he picked us this mission rather than over sized Starfleet veterans.

“For a collection of holographic matter, he’s not bad your doctor.”

Justin was about to concur when he was brought to a halt by Miral blocking his path.

“We’ve come to a door.” She whispered. “Katie’s picking the lock.”

Ian had never seen anyone ‘pick’ a mechanical lock before and tried to get closer so he could see past Miral and Justin but the tunnel was too small and Katie was blocking the view of her own work.

It wasn’t long though before she stepped back replaced her tools in the belt around her waist and slip her weapon from its holster. The three cadets behind her drew their own respective weapons then watched as she gently pushed the door. It swung open without resistance to reveal darkness, moving to shine the light from her torch inside she saw that it was some kind of a storeroom for dining chairs and tables.

“No alarms so far.” Miral noted following Katie into the room.


Justin and Ian followed them then made sure the door to the tunnel was closed but not locked again. They might have to go out the same way they came in. It meant that the Romulan’s could also get in, if they ever found there way out of the tunnels that was, but it was a chance they had to take. The room was quite large and staked high with furniture making the exit difficult to locate. Ian spotted it first, a pile of chairs had fallen over blocking it from view and probably making it impossible to open from the other side.

As quietly as they could the four cadets moved and restacked the chairs so that they had a clear route back to the tunnel door.

As Justin moved the last chair Ian tested the door and too his surprise found it unlocked. “So much for this Quagar’s impenetrable fortress.” He said a little disappointed because he had hoped to get a good view this time of Katie picking the lock.

she raised his spirits again though by moving close to him and whispering, “It’s a store cupboard, who locks a store cupboard?”

Inserting himself between his sister and Ian, Justin stuck his thumb in the door jam and eased it open a crack, together the two boys peered through. JJ had expected to see a corridor and guards but he found himself looking into a huge empty banquet hall with a high ceiling and tiled floor. Flickering lamps hanging from the walls and illuminated the corner of a wall tapestry. “What the!” Justin exclaimed opening the door wider to allow the light from the hall to cascade into the storeroom.

“What is it.?” Miral asked.

“What can you see?” Katie added.

Neither Ian nor Justin responded and the two girls couldn’t see over their shoulders so they bent down and pushed there heads through the gap by the boys legs. Now with a better view they were able to take in the spectacle and splendour of the great room before them. Ornate and colourful tapestries depicting Ferengi commerce hung from the walls around them, most of them had huge lobed Ferengi grinning out from them, and gold coloured mouldings of fruit, wine and flowers trailed around the edges of the ceilings and doors. There didn’t appear to be any windows the rooms only light source was a hundred real flame lamps that cascaded a yellow glow onto the tiled floor making each one appear as if it was made from gold pressed latinum.

“Do you think its real latinum?” Katie asked reaching though the door to tenderly touch one of the tiles.

“Who knows, and I’m not interested.” Justin pulled the door wide open and the girls jumped to their feet.

Stepping out into the room they could make out several more doors identical to the one they had entered and two much larger ones opposite each other at either end of the Hall.

“Which way?” Miral asked while looking at Katie.

“The basement room where the hostages are is at the back of the building so we need to go…..that way.” Katie did a pirouette then pointed left.

In a huddled group excepting any moment for them to burst open and fat ferengi guards to discover them they crossed to the double doors and once again Ian tested weather it was locked or not.

“Open!” he said inching the weighty obstacle ajar.

Justin was the only one brave enough this time to poke his head out, however he wasn’t surprised to find the corridor beyond as empty as the hall. “I don’t get this, no alarms, no guards!”

“Complacency can be dangerous.” Ian said. “He thinks he is safe from outside forces so he doesn’t bother with internal security.”

“That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be careful.” Miral remained them, whilst removing her weapon from its holster. “Rule number one, never underestimate your enemy.”

“Lead the way Katie, stay close to the walls.” Justin ordered. Katie nodded, entered the corridor then moved left, Miral followed, her own gun held high and close to her chest.

“I guess you want me to bring up the rear again?” Ian asked.

“Yes I do.” Justin replied, eyeing the phaser in Ian’s belt as he removed his own gun. “I take it you know how to shoot more than rocks with that thing?”

“First in my target practice class at UCLA.” He said with pride and a smirk.

Justin smiled back. “Remind me once this is all over to challenge you to a test at the academy firing range.”

“You’re on.” Ian responded, he was going to add ‘so long as we are still welcome on academy grounds after all this’ but Justin was already following the girls down the corridor. As he moved to catch up he pulled the Romulan phaser out and checked the feel of the handgrip, it was a perfect fit.

Quagar’s fortress was as large on the inside as it was on the outside and appeared to be more of a military stronghold than a home, but there was no sign of the army that could have been hold up in it.

“This feels all wrong.” Katie whispered to Miral.

“I know what you mean,” Miral whispered back, “And all this sneaking around is getting me itchy for a fight.”

As they moved away from the great hall the furnishings and wall adornments became less fancy and uncomplicated. The number of doors per corridor increased as well indicating smaller rooms that could have been offices or living quarters. Finally Katie turned them down a corridor that was lined with doors every ten feet on either side, each had a small hatch five feet from the floor and a heavy looking mechanical lock.

“Prison cells?” Ian commented from behind Justin and leaned against one but it was secured “You know I haven’t seen any of the technology Quagar is supposed to have protecting this place.”

“I know what you mean,” Justin replied. “I’m beginning to think that most of it is probably in the ugly toad’s bloated imagination.”

“Still let’s not take any chances.”

Justin smiled to himself; the smug argumentive hot head he had met only twenty four hours ago was starting to grow on him.

In front of them the girls had stopped above a stairwell that lead down into another area. The stairs themselves were in darkness however a light shown in the passageway below. It was impossible to see beyond a few feet at the bottom and everything seemed quiet, but they could make out the tall shadows of short men moving across the floor. Justin placed a finger to his lips indicating silence then held his hand to his chest with two fingers visible, showing that he believed there were two men, no one contradicted him.

The lump in Miral’s pocket suddenly came to the forefront of her mind and she reached quickly into the cloak and drew out its triangular contents. Holding it up for the others to see she asked the silent question, ‘should I activate the doctor?’

In his capacity as unofficial leader Justin nodded, but only after he had sort out the non verbal agreement of Katie and Ian, however when Miral keyed the Doctors activation code into the mobile emitter nothing happened. Double checking she had pressed the right sensors she repeated the sequence but again he failed to materialise before them.

Confusion crossed the faces of the group in a wave until it reached Ian, whose eyes lit up as he waved for them to come closer together. “A dampening field.”

“Damn,” Justin said a little too loudly then quickly checked to see if the guards below had heard him. They hadn’t but turning back he caught sight of the Romulan Phaser Ian was casually holding up. Tapping the barrel with his HAL finger he said in a quieter voice. “Check it.”

Ian searched the unfamiliar weapon for a power indicator, unfortunately where there had been green and blue lights before there was now a black panel. Shaking his head Ian shoved the defunct phaser into the back of his pants beneath the cloak he wore then un-holstered his lead slugger.

Tucking the mobile emitter securely back in her pocket Miral began to wonder if the doctor had known about the dampening field, or the lack of guards and alarms. However there wasn’t much time to brood over the matter, sliding back the safety catch of his gun Justin signalled for Miral and Katie, to stay at the top of the steps and watch the corridor. He then drew Ian’s attention and whispered. “Keep low.”

Ian smiled at the irony of the suggestion, the Ferengi would probably be expecting much taller rescuers and would fire accordingly, however as Ian was quite tall he would need to keep his head down.

Taking up position either side of the stairs, Katie and Miral gently squeezed their brother’s shoulder as he passed between them. The gesture had become a personal code between the trio that meant many things, right now it was show of solidarity but it also meant be careful. Acknowledging them with a smile Justin motioned for Ian to follow him.

The touching display from Justin’s sisters made Ian feel strange inside however when Katie reached up as he passed and patted his shoulder too, the strange feeling spread to his legs and he almost slipped off the top step. Looking down at the girl he saw two blue eyes and a rosy smile looking back up at him and his face flushed with heat. Returning the smile quickly he tore his eyes away from her and moved down the dark stairs, now was not the time for distractions.

Concentrating on the shadows below JJ missed his twin sisters ‘gesture’ but Miral noted the manoeuvre and glared at her half sister, Katie ignored the glare and turned her attention to the still empty corridor.

At the bottom of the steps under cover of the shadows Justin paused to peer along its length. The passageway was about ten metres long with several doors down each side but the one they were interested in was at the end with two Ferengi guards positioned before it.

If there job was to guard the door then their minds weren’t exactly focused on the task. One of the Ferengi had a small brown bottle which he was knocking back slugs from every few moments and the other was using a tiny file to sharpen his teeth, the imagery though was more comical then menacing. The only means of defence appeared to be ferengi electric whips which hung coiled around there left shoulders and a small phaser type side arm that both men had holstered.

It was almost too easy, Justin mused to himself then stepped back while Ian got a look at what they were up against. The expression of disappointment on his face said more than words, but Justin approached every situation with his mothers mantra, ‘Never underestimate your enemy’ ringing in his ears and indicated solemnly for Ian to take the drinker before holding up his hand and counting down on his fingers, three….two…one….

Anxiously waiting above Katie and Miral swung their eyes off the corridor long enough to watch the two young men step down into the light at the bottom, each though had their eyes focused on a different head as it disappeared from view.


Taken completely by surprise the two ferengi barely had time to acknowledge the intruders before the lead bullets hit them. The drinker dropped his bottle as he slid down the wall he’d been leaning against and came to rest in a puddle of its contents. Ian’s shot had punctured his lung rendering him unable to breathe never mind scream, unfortunately Justin’s shot hit the second Ferengi in the stomach and as he crumpled to the floor he began shrieking so loud the boys had to cover their ears. Expecting the wounded man to draw his sidearm and defend himself Justin approached cautiously with his own gun held at arms length, but he made no such move. Spotting a set of metal keys dangling from the injured Ferengi’s belt Ian reached towards the fallen guard and made to yank them free however the dying man found a scrap of energy and grabbed his wrist pulling him down while gurgling what was probably a curse in Fereginar into the boys ear. Unperturbed Ian prised the now dead hand from his Arm and ripped the keys free.

Hearing only two shots worry and concern got the better of the two girls and they tentatively sneaked down the steps. Katie immediately recognised her brother’s stance; however her heart flipped when she saw Ian on the floor by the ferengi and she let out a gasp.

Miral was quicker though and she ran over to the young man as he stood up from the bloody corpse spinning him around and checking him for wounds.

“Its ok sis it’s not his blood.” She called out, much to Katie’s relief and embarrassment.

Justin rolled his eyes and shook his head at his sister’s display of overt concern for Ian “When you have quite finished pawing him we have a rescue to complete.”

Ian tossed Katie the keys as she moved closer to the cocky cadet. “Here you go gorgeous this time you won’t have to pick the lock.”

Now it was Katie’s turn to blush and Miral’s turn to role her eyes but she didn’t waste time contemplating the wicked grin on Ian’s face or the scowl on her brothers she was more interested in working out which of the six keys opened the hostage’s door.


The two shots had been clearly heard within the confines of the dungeon room and the occupants startled awake or jolted out of their thoughts moved like frightened children to the far back of the room. Except Paris, nearest to the door, he’d been lying watching it waiting for Kathryn’s return and when he heard the sounds of old fashioned gun fire reverberating along the corridor beyond he moved closer and listened harder. He listened to the ferengi screaming and the shuffle of boots on the dusty stone floor, he listened to the mumbled voices and the jingle of keys as the group of possible liberators approached the door and listened as he stood to one side of the wooden barrier while the bolts were drawn back and the metal key turned in the lock.

Outside Miral was also listening yet she could hear nothing but the sounds of breathing, and many hearts beating to different rhythms; they all seemed to be beating rather fast though. She could also hear whispers and murmuring of fear, which unfortunately she could smell as well, nothing indicated that it wasn’t safe to open the door so she nodded for her brother to give it a push inwards.

Tom Paris watched from behind the slowly opening door as a figure he almost didn’t recognise entered the room and words failed him.

Justin searched the faces of the elderly ambassadors, he knew a few of them from dinner parties and official functions he had attended with his parents but their faces were not among the astonished ones looking back at him.

“J….Justin!” Tom gasped reaching out to the boy….no young man before him.

Spinning around sharply Justin took in the weary yet alive form of his farther and froze, something was wrong.

“Dad!” Katie screamed as she flung herself into his arms.

No not arms….arm, JJ watched as his farther hugged each of his sisters in turn with one arm. “What’s wrong with your other arm?” He asked not moving from the spot he had taken up half way into the room.

He could now clearly see the sling but it didn’t look right and where was his mother.

Paris moved towards his son, glancing away only long enough to acknowledge the strange tall boy standing to one side of the door. When they were close enough to touch he rested his good hand on the boys shoulder and whispered. “I had a small accident, but I’m going to be ok.” He then let his son see inside the sling.

To his due Justin didn’t flinch, didn’t scream or gasp or cry he just raised his gun and said. “Good job you can shoot left-handed too.”

Tom laughed and bear hugged the boy with as much effort as he could with one arm, until Katie called out “Where’s mum?”


“I’ve seen ‘pigs’ eat with more grace and refinement than you, so if you really don’t need me for anything else I’ll return to my dungeon.”

“I was wondering when you would get around to ‘insults’. You humans are so predictable, it’s no wonder we ferengi make so much profit off you.”

“You wouldn’t know what a hard days profit looks like, your nothing but a common criminal and a disgrace to your race. I heard you can’t return to Fereginar because there’s a Gold Pressed Latinum price on your head.”

“Once I get my Latium for you lot, I will pay the debts that I incurred whilst incarcerated and return to my home with honour.”

“Dream on.” Kathryn laughed.

Quagar had thought to amuse himself with the human female but she was proving to be too irksome for the Ferengi, on his home world women didn’t speak unless spoken too and they didn’t wear clothes. Captain Janeway was beginning to put him off his food and Quagar loved to eat almost as much as he loved Latinum.

“You’re beginning to bore me.” He snapped throwing a bread roll stuffed with meat back onto his plate. “Megas! Take her away, and bring me some more wine.”

Quagar buried his face in the enormous wine goblet and pretended Janeway wasn’t there, while Megas stomped and grunted his way across the room to remove her.

Once again he gripped her arms tight and shoved more than led her along the corridors; however they hadn’t got far before a klaxon wail brought them both to a halt. Janeway smiled, Riker was here, Megas however roared in pain, the sound was loud to Kathryn’s ears but the ferengi unwilling to let go of her to cover his larger more sensitive ones felt the full force of there decibels.


“Where’s mum?” Katie repeated when her father hesitated but his reply was cut off by the sound of a klaxon screeching.

“Don’t worry about your mother, I’ll get her you just get yourselves and the ambassadors out of here.”

“You’re not going without me.” Justin yelled over the klaxon.

“Or me.” Miral said pushing herself between the two of them.

“Katie can’t go by herself.” Paris yelled, just as the klaxon was cut off. “There’s too many of them for her to keep an eye on.”

“I’ll watch her back.” Ian said, stepping up to Paris. “I’ll see she gets them too safety.”

“I don’t know who you are son but if you’re hanging with my kids you have to be at least half decent.” Paris slapped Ian on the shoulder. “Take care of her, and get them out.”

“Aye sir.” Ian did an about face and raised his voice. “Anyone who’s coming follow the little lady.”


The Romulan, federation rescue mission began with a coordinated phaser attack against the fortress shields. It wasn’t enough to take them out, however it did reveal where the weak points and holes were enabling Riker, Wildman and Sulamar teams to beam inside. Wildman’s job was to find and eliminate the shield generators, Rikers was to locate and free the hostages while Sulamar had the task of finding Quagar. A job he was happy to undertake as he reckoned where the ferengi was so was the latinum, also if the ferengi happened to get killed in the process neither Riker nor the federation would be that bothered, which suited him fine.


Janeway had expected Megas upon hearing the alarm to take her back to the dungeon but instead he dragged her in the opposite direction.

“We’re going the wrong way.” Janeway yelled

“No were not.” Megas gruffed. “This place is under attack and I’m getting out of here.”

Janeway faked a trip, causing Megas to stop while she righted herself. “You’d make better time without me.” She suggested.

“You’re my hostage and my shield in case I run into any of your federation friends.”

“Ah.” Janeway smiled. “But what if it isn’t the federation.”

Megas grunted and pushed Janeway in front of him. “You could still make a useful shield.”


Due to the fact that he was neither into sharing or parting with his latinum unless he had too, Quagar’s gang of cut throat henchmen could be counted on the hand of an eight fingered Denbar monkey, so when he bellowed into his com system. “What the hell is going on?” and received only a weak.

“We don’t know.” It shouldn’t have been a surprise.

The fact that four of his eight men were dead and Megas was heading for the nearest exit with Janeway eluded him.


Paris took note of the two ferengi bodies as he headed along the dungeon corridor. He didn’t know how many men Quagar had but he’d only seen five upon his arrival and these were two of them however he couldn’t hear any gun shots or sounds of fighting over the Klaxon.

“I wish that would shut up.” He yelled.

“No Problem.” Miral shouted back then running ahead of them opened a wall panel and began ripping out components. Two ear splitting seconds later the Klaxon stopped. “This place is a joke, honestly dad we just literally walked in.”

“She’s not lying those two back there were the first guys we met.”

“Don’t forget the two outside that the Romulan’s dispatched.”

“Romulan’s?”

“Three of them, no two one got killed, but they are probably still lost in the tunnels.”

“I wouldn’t bet on that and Quagar must have more men somewhere, then there’s Megas he has your mother.”

“Who’s Megas?”

“I rather large ugly Ferengi, you’ll recognise him when you see him, small ears big nose.”


Having been there before Paris knew the way to Quagar’s office, which is more than Sulamar did however the Romulan wasn’t far behind the ambassador and his off spring just not quick enough to witness as Paris did Quagar, seat and all disappear down a trapdoor behind his desk.

Quagar allowed himself a single smirk as he vanished; after all he had just activated a self destruct programme that would in ten minutes blow his fortress to the ‘great counting house in the sky’. Ten minutes though was all he needed to scuttle to his private shuttle and make a clean getaway, he didn’t even mind leaving his latinum because latinum even in tiny pieces was still latinum and once the coast was clear he could come back for it.

“Damn!” Paris swore then shot a few lead bullets into the trapdoor just for the sake of it.

“There must be a button or control panel here somewhere.” Justin Suggested as he searched behind the table.

“I didn’t see mum.” Miral said quietly.

“Your right he didn’t have her.” Paris scanned the room for another exit, but there didn’t appear to be one.

“Do you think they went the same way as Quagar?” Justin asked.

“No that was his personal escape route, Megas has your mother still and he’s probably making his own way out, lets go.”

“Not so fast Ambassador.” Sulamar, and his men crowded into the Ferengi’s office and although they didn’t have their weapons aimed at them they looked menacingly at the federation trio.

“I thought you said there were only two of them,”

“I did, there was.”

“They aren’t the same Romulan’s.”

“We are however Romulan’s,” Said Sulamar stepping forward, “And I demand you tell us everything you know about the Ferengi Quagar and his Latinum.”

“I would love to.” Paris replied. “But that might take a little longer than the 8 minutes 35 seconds we have left.”

“What are you talking about?” Sulamar demanded.

“This.” Paris spun around the small computer monitor amid the food and drink on Quagar’s desk, the only thing on the screen was a counter and it was running. “I’m guessing it’s counting down to a self destruct, but I could be wrong.”

Sulamar said something in Romulan that made Miral blush then ignoring Paris and the cadets, fled the room with his men hot on his heals.

“I suggest we do the same.” Said Paris.

“What about mum?” Miral asked

“We’ll look for her on the way out.” Paris said pushing the pair of them towards the door.


Riker followed protocol and checked each corridor before moving forward, expecting to find an army of ferengi around each corner ready to defend Quagar’s fortress to the last man. If he was disappointed he didn’t show it not even when they came across three ferengi clutching carpetbags laden with their possessions scuttling in the opposite direction. Upon apprehension they confessed to being friends of Quagar but had nothing to do with the hostages that they didn’t know anything about. They did however suggested that the federation officers checkout the dungeons and would be glad to show them where they were. Glad that was until they saw their dead comrades and the empty room they had been guarding.

“Do you think it was the Romulan scouting party?” One of Rikers men asked.

“No.” Riker said slowly examining the stomach wound of one of the fallen ferengi. “Not unless they have taken to using Earth style twentieth century hand weapons.” Riker stood, aimed his phaser at one of the ferengi they had captured then fired it.

The Ferengi squirmed but the phaser didn’t fire. “There’s a dampening field in effect”, Riker called out to his men, “and I know who did this and who has the ambassadors. What I don’t know is how they intend to get out of here, but you three are going to show us.”


Finding the shield generators was easy, working out how to deactivate them was harder, especially as they had been jerry rigged into an active self destruct and any tempering of either would negate the countdown which currently read seven minutes ten seconds and blow them all up.

“We need to buy enough time to activate transporters and get everyone out of here.” Wildman said looking at her best engineer.

“Yes ma’am.” He responded then set to working on the problem at hand.

Wildman had the upmost confidence in him, and wasn’t bothered that they had not met any resistance yet, because she figured Quagar’s men had been informed of the self destruct and were now heading for the nearest exit. What did bother her was whether the crewmen on the transporters aboard the Enterprise could locate and beam everyone scattered around the fortress up again in the few seconds her guy was buying them, including the ambassadors who wouldn’t have combadges.


“Halt.”

Katie stopped so suddenly the Barecken ambassador directly behind her walked straight into her and nearly knocked her over. If he had she would have fallen straight into the arms of a very dirty, very tired, very irate Romulan.

“Why have you stopped?” Ian called from the rear of the line.

“I think you had better come up here and bring the Romulan ambassadors with you.” Katie called back.

While Ian made his way to the front, Katie took a better look at the Romulan that had leapt out of the side tunnel in front of her, it was obviously one of the ones that had gotten lost in the cave earlier and behind him leaning against the wall was his partner, they both looked as mad as hell.

“Oh.” Was all Ian had to say upon joining Katie.

This was more than the ambassadors did when they got a look at the two Romulan men. Katie was glad she didn’t understand Romulan but made a point of remembering a few choice words for Miral to translate later.

“Excuse me.” Ian tapped one of the ambassadors on the shoulder, “But we should get moving.”

“You are right.” The Romulan said. “These two can wait until later.” He then turned back and said to the two soldiers. “You can follow at the rear and don’t get lost again.”


Megas wasn’t the brightest of Ferengi he didn’t have the lobes for business but when it came to self preservation he was the shrewdest of the bunch. He never got into any thing without having a plan to get out first. Which is why when it came to securing Quagar’s fortress he made sure there was a backdoor that only he knew about or so he thought, because it was the same back door that Justin, Miral, Katie and Ian had entered via earlier, and the same back door that had been found by Quagar’s cook shortly before being dismissed for stealing. The location of which he had given to a very pretty lady in exchange for enough Latium to buy himself a new hand and a one way ticket back to Fereginar.

“Is that Latinum?” Janeway asked, as she was pushed into the great banquet hall.

“You bet,” Megas replied. “Five hundred thousand of them, and I know where the loose ones are.”

Megas used his laser scalpel to cut a piece of one of the tapestry’s that adorned the walls then Pushing Janeway to the edge, indicated for her to start pulling up the latinum tiles.

There was indeed several loose ones and they came away very easy but Janeway took her time placing each very slowly into the centre of the torn cloth.

This made Megas very twitchy, “Hurry we don’t have much time”.

Indeed time was running out the self destruct was ticking away and Riker was almost upon them, having been lead to the supposedly secret back door by one of the Quagar’s very own handpicked men.

“That’s enough, pick them up.” Megas ordered,

Janeway for her age was still very fit, however Megas wasn’t aware of her agility so she played the age game and moaned and groaned as if she was having difficulty getting to her feet.

Megas though was having none of it and grabbing Janeway by the arm propelled her across the floor. She was still clinging to the cloth and latinum though, so he was forced to follow and pull her to her feet. At that moment Riker burst through the double doors at one end of hall surprised Janeway dropped the cloth scattering the Latinum at Megas’s feet.

The survival instinct in Megas’s took hold again and ignoring the Latinum he tightened his grip on Janeways arm, pulled her closer and placed the laser scalp against her neck.

“One more step.” He said with venom, “And she loses her pretty head.”


Riker was about to reply with a witty remark when the doors at the other end of the hall yielded to a hard shove spilling Sulamar and his men onto the floor.

Megas still with the only functioning weapon had the upper hand and shuffled backwards towards the store cupboard that he knew was a way out.

Mid shuffle though Paris, Justin and Miral hot on the Romulan’s heels clambered over Sulamar’s men and upon seeing Janeway in his grasp advanced on the ferengi spreading out to encircling him.

“You ok honey.” Tom asked Kathryn ignoring Megas.

“Better now you’re here.” She replied, her eyes flitting between him and the children. She was shocked to see them but somehow not surprised.

“Get back,” Megas yelled. “Or she’s dead.”

“In one minute 53 seconds we will all be dead.” Tom said acknowledging Riker. “Quagar’s left the building but not before he activated the self destruct.”

“I don’t believe you.” Megas roared. “I would have heard the count down.”

“No you wouldn’t,” Miral said calmly “I disabled the alarm system.”

“And if you hurt one hair on my mothers head, I’ll blow your brains out.” Justin carefully aimed his pistol at the ferengi.

“Ha ha.” Megas laughed, “Do you really think that antique is faster than me.”

The speed of a twentieth century bullet was pretty fast, however the laser scalpel was a mere hairs breath from his mother throat and it would only need for the ferengi to twitch in the wrong direction for it slice into her.


“I’m going back in.” Katie informed Ian as she pushed passed the last of the ambassadors exiting the tunnel. However she wasn’t fast enough to get passed Ian who grabbed her around the waist and pulled her back.

“What!” He exclaimed as she extracted herself from his somewhat strong arm.

“I can’t just sit out here waiting for them, that’s my family in there.”

“My dads probably in there too.” Ian replied suddenly realising just how much trouble he was in. “If your going back so am I.”

“Who’s going to watch them?”

Katie and Ian turned to the group of ambassadors and Romulan’s; they in turn were standing watching them.

“I….you…” Katie began but the Romulan ambassador stepped forward and held up his hand.

“You are very brave little humans.” He said in his best federation. “If it is your wish to return for your parents then of course you should do so, we will be fine right here until someone comes.”

“Thank you.” Katie gushed, and then quickly disappeared down the tunnel.

A little slower but just as grateful Ian followed behind.


She knew the timing was going to be tight but as the minutes and seconds ticked away the calm and professional persona Wildman had been portraying for captain Riker slipped away.

She didn’t like being out of contact with the captain either, if she knew he had found the hostages and they were safe then she would just order her men to high tale it out and leave the ferengi to blow up. When she had first herd that her old captain and best friend were in danger she had been so angry that her fear and worry for them didn’t effect her, even when she had been informed by captain Riker of the cadets involvement she had been unruffled and only concerned with factoring them into the rescue plan. But now she was here, waiting, not knowing what was going on her feelings for Kathryn Janeway who had been a second mother to her growing up came flooding in and threatened to overwhelm her.


Katie made good speed through the now familiar tunnels however when she reached the store cupboard she stopped.

“What is it?” Ian asked from behind her.

“Shh…I can hear voices.”

Moving closer to the door the two cadets listened intently to what was transpiring in the great hall beyond.


Megas was now just a few feet from his escape route, however he was watching the slowly advancing ambassador and his federation rescue party not the door behind him so was unaware of it opening until it was too late.

Justin and Miral however had a good view of the doctor, mobile emitter and all emerging from the darkened door much to their credit though they didn’t give the game away.


Voyager’s medical hologram wasn’t the usual run of the mill doctor, he had spent many years fighting along side her crew while travelling back from the delta quadrant and he knew a thing or too about unarmed combat he also knew how to do a Vulcan nerve pinch.


Megas felt the doctor touch his neck but by then it was too late, he even managed a ‘Wha…’ noise before every muscle in his body went numb and his brain temporarily starved of oxygen shut down causing him to pass out. In those brief seconds the doctor extradited Janeway from his grasp and pulled her to safe distance from the lumbering ferengi.


Inhaled breaths were released and a wave of relief washed over everyone in the hall, even the Romulan’s who had been more interested in the fact that they were standing on a fortune in gold pressed latinum than the hubbub between the federation and the large Ferengi smiled. Unfortunately Sulamar’s dreams of finally buying his way up the ranks faded with the first tingle of a transporter beam. In later years he would tell tales of watching as he faded out, the floor of the great ferengi hall buckle and explode into a million tiny pieces of gold pressed latinum.


When Megas regained consciousness he found himself on the floor of a federation cargo hold with the sound of humans cheering and laughing ringing in his ears. With only ten seconds to spare Wildman had given the green light for the Enterprises’ transport officers to beam all life signs inside and outside the fortress to the cargo bay she prepared earlier. As well as the federation rescue parties, Ambassadors, cadets, Romulan’s and ferengi they also beamed up several mountain sheep and a rather startled farmer but he would have been killed when the fortress exploded and collapsed down the hillside so in the end all in all it was a good rescue. Congratulating her team she watched as Katie, Miral and Justin hugged there parents; yes it was a very good rescue.


William Riker approached his son, who stood silently at attention waiting for the lambasting he was almost certain he was going to get, however to his surprise his dad just grabbed him by the shoulders and hugged him hard.

“You know your mum is absolutely furious with you.” He said slacking his grip so the boy could breathe again. “But if I was you I’d be more worried about what admiral Barcley is going to say.”

Ian’s mouth suddenly became very dry and he glanced across at his three cohorts, they all could have just made the academy records for being the fasted to get kicked out of Starfleet. His thoughts were interrupted though by his dads combadge chirping.

“Go ahead,” Riker said responding to the call.

“Captain Riker,” said a female voice, which both farther and son instantly recognised as belonging to Seven Nine. “I have apprehended the ferengi Known as Quagar, he was trying to escape the system in a Bolian scout ship which of course was no match for the Delta flyer.”

“That’s fantastic Seven.” Riker replied, then turning to the rest of the gathered throng. “Did you hear that Seven of Nine has captured Quagar.”

A huge cheer went up around the cargo bay.


The assembled Starfleet officers and Academy staff at Starfleet headquarters back in San Francisco on Earth however were not cheering as four cadets entered the lecture hall and took there place at attention in front of the senior staff.

It had been three days since there return in which apart from being called to account for there actions they had been under house arrest. No one had been able to visit them or call them not even there parents who were now seated at the back of the hall watching as there offspring jointly faced the court marshal board.

Tom Paris heart was in his throat as he watched his kids stand where he himself had stood so many years ago, yet mixed with his feeling of dread was pride, the same pride was etched on his wife Kathryn’s face.

They had both promised each other that whatever the outcome they would stand by there children and he was sure Captain Riker and his wife felt the same.


Admiral Barcley spoke with a very sombre voice. “You have been called here today to answer the following chargers, the stealing of a Starfleet vessel, namely the Delta flyer, and leaving academy grounds without permission. Other minor chargers have been dropped in light of the severity of the first two.” Barcley glanced sideways at his fellow officers, who were nodding silently. “Your accomplices in these crimes, Seven of Nine and the Hologram known as the Doctor have been dealt with separately.”

Justin hadn’t seen the Doc and Seven when he entered the lecture hall and wondered just what Starfleet could do to them seeing as they were civilians.

“It has been argued that because the Delta Flyer which was on loan to the Academy from Ambassador Thomas Paris, the father of three of you, that in fact you did not steal the ship, but rather borrowed it without permission, a claim that has been strongly backed up by the Ambassador and his wife.”

The four Starfleet Admirals flanking Barcley blushed and squirmed in there seats with this announcement.

“This just leaves us with the charge of leaving academy grounds without permission.” Now it was Barclays turn to squirm. “As a first offence the punishment for this charge is a one semester grounding. That is to say you will not be allowed to leave academy grounds for one semester or communicate with anyone off academy grounds.”

Puzzled expressions crossed the faces of all four cadets. Justin boldly took a step forward. “Permission to speak sir?’

“Granted.” Barcley said.

“Sir does this mean were not being kicked out of the academy?”

Barcley cleared his throat. “It does indeed Mr Janeway.”

Smiles spread across the cadet’s faces, smiles that were mirrored in the faces of their parents.

“It does however mean that you will have to make up any class’s you have missed and keep your noses clean for rest of the semester, other wise you could find yourselves in front of me again and next time I might not be so lenient.” This time it was Barclays turn to smile. “This matter is also going on your permanent records and may influence future career prospects within Starfleet, so don’t think you are getting off lightly on this matter.”

“No Sir.” Justin replied

“Cadets you are dismissed.”


Outside in the rose garden Seven of Nine stopped to admire one of the blooms.

“Don’t even think about picking it.”

The voice of Boothby seemed to come from nowhere, but Sevens Borg senses knew he was standing just the other side of the rose bush.

“I wouldn’t dream of destroying such a beautiful flower.” Seven said in response.

“Good.” Boothby said coming around to stand beside Seven. “I’ve had to tell that Hologram doctor of yours twice so far this morning.”

Sevens response was cut off by the sounds of laughter and running feet.

“Seven.” Katie called running across the lawn and into the women’s waiting arms, Miral and Justin soon followed.

“They didn’t kick us out.” Justin told her.

“That is good to hear.” Seven said.

“What did they do to the Doc and You for busting us out.” Miral asked.

“I believe they called it community service.”

“What does that mean?” Ian Riker asked as he approached the group.

“It means that we will be seeing more of each other over the next three years.” Seven walked towards Ian as she spoke and held out her hand for him to shake. “I am to be a guest lecturer on Borg studies.”

Ian took the delicate but strong hand of seven and blushed slightly as she shook it gently before letting go, he knew the gesture meant that he was now a friend.

“And the Doc?”

“I will be teaching field first aid.” The four cadets turned and in unison ran to greet the doctor. “So you will be seeing a lot more of me as well.”


Tom placed his perfectly repaired hand around Kathryn’s waist and drew her into his arms, I don’t know about you Captain Riker but I’m going to kiss my wife now.

As he felt the warmth of her lips against his Tom’s mind raced back to there first kiss, at the time neither of them had expected to live very long, they were trapped in an ice cave near frozen to death, in fact Kathryn had died, but not before he had made love to her and told her just how much she meant to him. There love for a time had been a secret one and a forbidden one, for many years they had been separated but now they were back together and able to love each other openly. They had three healthy children but would never forget the daughter they lost, or the offspring they left behind. Both had lost partners, friends and family over the years but for all they had been through their love still held true.


Tom tenderly tucked a stray strand of hair behind Kathryn’s ear, it was sprinkled with grey as was his own but that was of no consequence.

“I love you.” He said

“I know.” Kathryn replied.

The End