It was the seventh day of Voyagers enforced quarantine on the outskirts of the Tou’Camoran, system. Two thirds of her crew, including captain Janeway and Commander Chakotay now lay ill from a debilitating and deadly virus. The only one allowed to leave the ship in search of the rare antiviral had been the doctor, however they had lost contact with him two days earlier, and he was long overdue to return.

Tuvox in the absence of Janeway and Chakotay had taken command of the stricken ship and placed Tom Paris, Voyagers official field medic in charge of the medical arrangements. He had immediately set up two hospital wards in the cargo bays, rotating what little crew that wasn’t ill to tend to those that were. Fortunately, the number of new patients had ceased three days earlier and no one had yet to die, on the other hand, no one had yet to recover.

Sickbay, too small for the general crew, was occupied by Chakotay, Ensign Kim, and Lieutenant Carey, with Seven of Nine and Belanna personally assigned to their care. As for the captain Paris had moved her on day two back into her quarters, were she was being privately nursed by Sam and Naomi Wildman. Luckily, young Naomi had not succumbed to the virus and was proving to be quiet an adept nurse.

Under the doctors orders Paris also took a turn each day to nurse the captain, and was currently on his way to her quarters to relieve Sam for the night. Stepping off the turbo lift he couldn’t help but notice that the lack of background noise, such as Voyagers engines and the crew’s daily shuffle, enhanced the echo of his footfalls. Shaking his head at the phenomenon while being extra careful to tread softly, he approached the captain’s door and tapped the control panel.

Upon entering the room an obviously tired Samantha, greeted him with a compad containing a run down of Janeway's condition since he’d left her ten hours ago.

“She’s been very restless.” Sam said, trying not to yawn. “Fever up and down. I nearly called you on one occasion when she got out of bed and tried to get dressed.”

“Sleepwalking.” Paris nodded. “Some of the others have been doing it. Belanna found Harry doing push ups on his bed this morning.”

“Pushups?”

“Yeah, apparently he thought he was back at the academy and his Physical instructor was making him do punishment push ups for arriving late.”

“It sounds funny and I would love to have seen that.” Sam’s brief smile faded. “But if the doctor doesn’t get back soon, I don’t know how much longer some of the weaker ones are going to last.”

“I’ve been trying for two days to get someone from the Tou’ government to tell me what’s going on with the doctor, but they either don’t care or don’t know.”

“Neither is of any help to us.”

Sensing an element of despair in the young women’s voice Paris changed his tactic. “We’ve overcome worse than this. I’m not ready to give up yet, unlike that one.” Paris indicated in the direction of Janeway's couch, where Naomi slept soundly.

Sam crossing to her daughter, scooped up the child then carried her back to Paris. “I’d better get this one to her bed. See you in the morning Tom.”

Paris placed a kiss on the sleeping girl’s forehead then just as tenderly kissed Sam on the cheek. It wasn’t a romantic kiss but one of friendship and hope. Something they all needed to hang onto. “You get some sleep too.”

After Sam had left, Paris replicated a cup of coffee and made himself comfortable in the easy chair beside Janeway's bed. The light in the room was dimmed but the medical Compad’s illumination allowed him to review the data within. It wasn’t good.

He didn’t remember falling asleep and was a little confused when he woke to the sound of Janeway's voice calling out for Chakotay. Coming around he saw that she’d thrown back the bed covers in her delirium and was muttering something about the heat. He also noticed that she was wearing a different nightgown than the one he’d left her in that morning. Sam had obviously helped her change but the new one was a long, thin, strappy thing that clung to the curves of her damp body and revealed just a little too much.

Sitting on the edge of the bed and using a cooling pad Paris wiped her face and neck in an attempt to reduce her temperature. Medication had long since ceased to be effective in any of the crew, leaving them with no recourse but to use the hands on methods. Doing this now, moving the cooling pad across her shoulders and upper chest he was conscious of how thin she appeared but also of how beautiful.

Suddenly Janeway shivered. Reacting to the change, Paris dropped the cooling pad onto the floor, pulled the bed covers back over her then reached for the medical tricorder. By this time, her whole body was racked with shivers and her breathing was becoming laboured.

According to the scanner Janeway was freezing, her core temperature was dropping rapidly, yet her surface skin temperature was in the 80’s, and she was perspiring. He knew he had to do something fast to normalise her body temperature or she’d go into shock. Yet there were only so many blankets he could place over her and only so high, he could turn up the heating. He was going to have to do something more hands on than he thought was ethical but knew was necessary.

At Starfleet academy, all cadets were taught to strip and change uniform in 10 seconds, preparation for red alerts and emergency drills. To get down to his shorts and vest it took Paris all of 5 seconds. By the time, 10 were accounted for he was beneath the bedcovers with Janeway, wrapping his own heated torso around hers.

Her slender frame disappeared beneath Paris toned bulk and yet she still shook and trembled from the inner cold that was threatening to take her from him. Stroking her damp forehead and smoothing the tangled hair back, he whispered softly but with urgency into her ear.

“Kathryn, Kathryn don’t do this to me, come on fight it.”

‘It’ took a full five minutes to subside, by that time there body’s had become fused together, when he breathed in she breathed out, in, out, in, out, together in rhythm. Paris could feel the contours of her body through the flimsy fabric she wore, and the sensation rekindled memories of those first weeks and months when he had wrestled with his feelings for her by dating every other female on the ship, and the heartache he’d suffered for days after there threshold affair. Bittersweet memories that sustained him until she slept peacefully again.

He knew this was his cue to raise and leave but as he tried, Janeway began to whimper and her hands sort him out, forcing him to lie back down. He’d meant to try again once she was deeper asleep except he was tired and before long fell into a peaceful slumber of his own.

Paris wasn’t sure what woke him, but upon opening his eyes, found himself staring straight into Janeway's. His immediate response was to raise and reach for the medical tricorder, but she stopped him. She stopped him with a kiss, softly at first then more firmly and insistent drawing him deeper entwining there tongues in a sensual dance, mirrored only by their fingers as they each caressed the others nape.

Pulling away, Paris looked down at Janeway. Her eyes were heavy with sleep and tears pricked each corner.

“It’s ok.” He said softly, while brushing the tears from her face. “The doctor will be back soon.” She didn’t seem to hear him though. It was almost as if she was in a trance, awake but not.

Hands caressed his torso and Paris felt Janeway slip her leg beneath his, positioning him between the apex of hers. From this position, he could feel the cloth of her nightgown ride up as she raised her knees either side of him. However, his attention was also drawn to the soft warm lips against his neck and the sensual kiss’s that sent long buried emotions skimming through his mind and loins. The question at hand though was, who did she imagine she was making a move on, him, Mark or was she dreaming of Chakotay.

“Kathryn...” Paris called her name, hushed for fear of really waking her and because the sensation of what she was doing, robbed him of any other verbal sounds, but moans of gratification.

Paris knew he should stop her, but his own body betrayed him and as Kathryn returned her moist lips to his mouth, his will power caved. Returning the embrace with full passion and vigour, he took control of her seduction dance and began his own five fingered administrations of her barely covered body.

Cupping warm rounded breasts, he rubbed the susceptible centres to hard peeks while nudging the growing firmness of his hot shaft against her equally hot mound.

Kathryn, somehow aware of his increasing desire slipped a hand inside the cloth of his shorts and began the removal of the only obstacle that kept them apart. This movement was not lost on Tom and he considered again stopping her, but she moved with seemingly practiced ease leaving him no time to act.

Released the encouraged flesh fell exactly where she wanted it, just a small squirm and thrust of her hips upwards brought him slipping into place.

No! Paris brain screamed at him, you can’t do this. Poised as he was with her body undulating beneath him in anticipation he looked again into her half open pools of blue.

“T...o...m”

His name was barley audible among the gasps and whimpers she emitted nevertheless it was there. She’d called out to him, it was his lips she’d kissed, his body she’d seduced, his love she wanted.

Descending slowly but deeply Tom watched as her face alighted with pleasure, then pain as he pulled out then plunged into her once more, faster, harder, deeper. He almost lost his own control, but the way her body shuddered beneath his made it worthwhile.

Holding her close and slaughtering her mouth Tom rode her to a quick explosive climax, yet kept his own curtailed for as long as possible. Savouring the sensation of her smooth silky flesh as it caressed his shaft with each thrust. Savouring each whimper from her throat that each penetration brought forth and savouring the moment when with his own pleasurable release, she sank into his arms and fell asleep again.

Sliding from the covers, Paris tucked them around her before gathering up his clothes and disappearing into the bathroom. By the time, Sam burst through the door two hours later he had showered, dressed and was back in the chair beside Janeway’s bed as if nothing had happened.

“The doctors back he’s got the vaccine.”

The hypo spray hissed softly as the vaccine penetrated Janeways skin then her bloodstream.

“I’m sorry I took so long.” The doctor said, glancing back at Paris who stood watching from the end of Janeway’s bed. “I ran into some trouble on the third day and…”

“Are you sure this will work.” Paris asked ignoring the doctor’s comments as if he hadn’t heard them.

“Too the best of my knowledge, which as you are aware, is quite considerable, Yes! Nevertheless it will take time for them to regain their strength, no ones going to be up and about for at least three days.”

Running a hand through his hair Paris looked up at the EMH. “Sorry doc it’s been long week here too.”

“Well I’m back now and once you’ve helped me inoculate the whole crew you can take a break.”

“The whole crew?”

“Yes even the ones that are not sick.” The doctor reset the hypo spray then moving closer to Paris pressed it to his upper arm. “Come lieutenant we have work to do, Sam and Naomi can watch the captain.”

Paris followed the doctor out of Janeways room; looking back only once to check she was still asleep, as he did a thought passed through his head would she remember?

“You let Chakotay go back to his quarters, why can’t I?” Harry Kim moaned.

He was sitting on the side of a sickbay bed, swinging his legs in protest as Paris ran a medical scanner over him.

“Chakotay ate his food yesterday, you didn’t.”

“I don’t feel like eating yet.”

“And that’s why your still here.” Paris was in a good mood; most of the crew had recovered and returned to duty, only a few of the weaker ones were still resting in his cargo bay ward. Harry had been given the all clear by the doc as far as the virus went but until he began eating again, he was confined to sickbay.

“One more day, two meals and you can, not only go back to your quarters but back to work.”

Harry pulled a face. “I wouldn’t mind staying here if I wasn’t so bored. Hay how about bringing me my clarinet, I need to practice piece for Sam’s birthday next week?”

“No!” Came a loud reply from behind Kim.

He didn’t need to turn to know the voice belonged to lieutenant Carey his only other sickbay companion.

“I think you just got your answer.” Paris commented then moved across to Carey’s bed. “Good morning Joe, how are you feeling?”

“I’m hungry what’s for breakfast?”

Paris smiled, Carey hadn’t eaten yesterday either so his hunger pangs were a good sign. “Captains orders, for your first meal you get anything you want.”

“I want, Bacon, eggs, tomatoes, sausage, beans, and hash browns like my mum use to make.”

“I’ll see what I can do.” Paris chuckled.

“Say Tom how is the Captain?” Carey asked.

“I haven’t seen her since the doc got back, too busy with you grunts, but from all accounts she’s doing well.”

“Good, that’s good.” Carey responded then lay his head back down and closed his eyes.

Truth be told Paris was avoiding the Captain, subtle questioning of the now recovered crew had revealed that some of them remembered the things they had done while ‘Sleep walking’ and he feared Janeway would remember their rendezvous and react badly. Yet part of him wanted her to remember, this time!

Moans of torment brought Paris back out of his thoughts. “What can I get you to eat Harry?”

“Just eggs.” Harry’s stomach was churning just thinking about Carey’s order.

Paris smile widened again, at his friends green complexion. He’d always had a delicate constitution, however it looked like it was going to be a long recovery for the young officer.

Paris stood before the door to Janeway’s quarters, the order had come through Chakotay, and he feared the worst. His fear was confirmed when the titanium plate slid back to reveal her standing silhouetted against the stars outside her window, hands on hips, lips pursed, eyes hooded.

Silently she beckoned him to come forwards, equally without a word he stood before her at ease but not easy. Taking a step closer, she stared Paris directly in eye. At that moment, he knew.

“You remember?”

“Did you think I wouldn’t?” Barely controlled rage grated Janeway’s voice.

“No! It wasn’t like that.” It had been four days since the doctors return with the antiviral, he’d been avoiding her all that time and she knew it, but deception was not behind his absence. “Besides if you recall, you kissed me first.”

“And that’s your defence?” Janeway was still simmering.

However so was Paris now. “I did nothing that you didn’t what me to do.”

This fact hit Janeway home and she was forced to re-examine her own anger. Rubbing the furrows on her brow, she made to turn away from Paris but as she did, he grabbed her arm and spun her back. In the same movement before she could object he gathered her into the circle of his arms and planted his mouth firmly over hers.

At first she resisted the kiss but she soon realised she was fighting herself and relaxing her stance allowed him to finish the sensual manipulation before pulling away and speaking.

“We need to talk.”

Sitting on the window couch facing each other the two fateful lovers took a mental deep breath.

“I lay there for some time watching you sleep.” Janeway began. “Mostly trying to figure out why you were there?”

“You had a fever, you were shivering, going into shock, I had to do something fast.” Paris blurted out.

“So you stripped off and got into bed with me. Good manoeuvre but why didn’t you just leave once I was stable?”

“I tried, but every time I went to move you became restless, I was so tired I guess I fell asleep, the next thing I remember is waking and you kissing me.” His mind flashed back to the kiss that had started it all.

“Yet again I ask why didn’t you just leave?” Janeway was having trouble coming to terms with her own motives let alone Paris’s.

“I didn’t want to.” Paris said frankly. “Although at first I wasn’t sure if you weren’t dreaming I was someone else.”

“Someone else”?

“Mark…Justin….” He was going to say Chakotay but thought better of it. “Then you called out my name and ….”

“You lost all will power” Janeway said teasingly.

“You didn’t exactly make it easy…” Paris protested then changed his thinking. “Look if I hurt you I’m sorry…..”

Janeway leaned forward and placed a hand over his mouth to cut his words off. “Just tell me one thing.” She said removing the hand. “If I hadn’t remembered would you have told me?”

Paris licked his lips and cleared his mind with an immeasurable breath of oxygen before replying. “I’d like to say that I was waiting for you to recover before I did, but I’m not sure if that would be a lie.”

Janeway thought on this for a moment then sighed. “Jail term aside, you’re an honest man Tom, I think you would have.”

Paris smiled and his heart leapt. “Your faith in me is astounding.”

“True.” Janeway responded moving closer to him on the seat and resting a hand on his chest so that she could feel the tell tale beat. “But right now, so is my love for you.”

Taken by surprise he didn’t react until her lips were upon his, by then it was too late. Sensations leapt from his loins, controlling him as he returned the kiss. Softly at first then more firmly and insistent, drawing her deeper, entwining their tongues in a sensational dance, mirrored only by hands and fingers as they each caressed the others nape and torso.

Breaking contact Paris took a breath of air and gazed down into her eyes. The room was dark and the stars outside reflected in them. “Don’t Kathryn unless you really mean it?”

Kathryn’s eyes didn’t waver as she looked intently back into his bright blue depths. “I meant ‘it’ then and I mean ‘it’ now.”

Rising Paris stood before Kathryn then bending down scooped her up into his arms. This time he would make her cry out his name loud and clear.

The End