Kathryn Janeway rose from her ready room desk and slowly paced the floor, in her hand she held Chakotay’s report of how well or should that be how badly Voyager had faired during her enforced absence. Fatigue was crushing her and she limped from the leg injury she’d acquired but she refused to pay any attention to either; her ship and crew came first.

The door chime was another distraction she tried to ignore but its persistence won and she barked an inpatient “Enter.”

Paris acknowledged the edge to her voice and entered slowly holding the medical kit he carried in front of him as if for protection.

“Mr Paris what can I do for you?” she demanded of the lieutenant.

“The doctor sent me.” He said firmly but quietly.

Janeway looked at him puzzled for a moment then remembered the improvised bandage around her thigh and rubbing the heaviness from her eyes spoke softer. “Sorry Tom, of course, where do you want me?”

“Sickbay, or at least your quarters.” He replied. He knew she had meant where in the ready room did he want to treat her injuries but upon seeing the physical state she was in he wasn’t prepared to pussyfoot around. She had escaped sickbay earlier with just a shot of painkillers to keep her going under the pretence that she was needed on the bridge. However now the ship was out of danger she had no excuse not to take medical advice and he wasn’t going to let her invent one.

“Do I look that bad?” Janeway asked glancing down at her self. However, just one look at her tattered dirty uniform and the blood soaked rag around her leg answered her own question. “Never mind don’t answer that, I’ll come quietly.” Tossing the report onto her coffee table she limped back towards Paris. “Lead the way Lieutenant.”

Janeway paused on the bridge just long enough to pass command over to Tuvox for the night then dutifully followed Paris into the turbo lift, resisting the need to lean back against the wall for support until the doors were completely closed.

The last seven days had taken there toll on her body; from the shuttle crash that had begun it all to the daring rescue by her crew, and it was now catching up with her fast.

“Captain?” Paris squeezed her shoulder gently, and then slipping an arm around her waist helped her to stand and walk the last few yards to her quarters.

Neither said anything words weren’t necessary, inside she recovered long enough to shed her ruined uniform and step into the sonic shower before shrugging a robe around her tender flesh and stumbling back out to her bed where Paris was waiting with his medical kit open.

He smiled as she crossed the room but inside he was hurting to see his captain and friend in such a mess. He only knew fragments of what she had gone though after crashing her shuttle, words such as torture had been banded around along with much speculation as to other abuse but he had paid no heed until now. The temptation to run more than a peripheral scan of her leg injury played across his mind as she lay back against the bed’s cushions and moved the cloth of her dressing gown so he could get a view of the wound.

The projectile had passed right through her leg, missing by chance anything vital such as the main brachial artery, but the hole it had left was ragged and swollen.

“How bad is it?” Janeway asked, trying to twist her leg so she could see, but found it held firmly yet gently in Paris grasp.

“It’s a clean wound.” Paris replied, producing a hypospray with his other hand before deftly applying it to her upper thigh. “It won’t take long….” Glancing up he saw that exhaustion had finally caught up with his captain, and he watched as her eyelids fell against the warm rose of her cheeks, as the rise and fall of her breasts slowed to a restful rhythm and the creases across her brow smoothed away.

“This won’t take long at all.” He said to himself, whilst returning the hypospray and picking up a dermal regenerator.

Paris actually took a little longer than he expected to complete the repair work to Janeway’s leg. Distractions such as the cloth of her dressing gown barely covering the more cherished parts of her body and the fact that he knew she was very naked beneath only added to the diversion and pleasure he found in running his hand over her thigh as he checked the work the dermal regenerator had done.

The sensation of the smooth taught skin against his palm invoked a feeling of contentment that he had never known before. It was this feeling that probably influenced his next move.

Draping the bedcovers over Janeway, he tenderly lifted a wayward lock of hair from her eye, tucked it back where it belonged, then leant down and softly kissed her temple.

 “Goodnight Captain…..Kathryn.” He whispered, then picking up his medical kit, walked to the door, ordered the computer to turn off the lights and left.


It was late the following afternoon before Paris saw Janeway again, finishing a report on the repairs to his helm console he looked around for her and caught Chakotay’s silent nod in the direction of the ready room. Rising from his seat and nodding just as silently to the lieutenant on his right to take over, he crossed the bridge and pressed the door chime panel. Seconds later, it slid open with a quiet whoosh and he took the three steps that would take him across the threshold and allow the door to close behind him.

Janeway was sitting behind her desk with an empty coffee cup in one hand and a report pad in the other.

“Is that for me?” she casually asked nodding at the compad in Paris hand.

“It’s just a list of repairs on the helm console, nothing vital. I you could sign off on it, I can let Belanna know she can strike it off her list of things to do.”

“I’d better take a look then.” Instead of reaching across the desk, Janeway stood, moved around to the front, perched on the edge and indicated for Paris to approach.

Passing the compad to her he waited patiently at ease two feet in front of her with his hand clasped behind his back, a vulnerable position to be in when Janeway posed her next question.

Looking up from the pad and meeting Paris eyes she bluntly asked. “Did you kiss me goodnight.”

Startled like a jackrabbit in the headlights Paris gasped and stuttered. “I….You….I thought you were a asleep.” He suddenly began to worry about what else she had been awake during.”

“Don’t you know the old adage about a captain always sleeping with one eye open?” Janeway smiled as she spoke, for some reason she found great pleasure in watching Paris squirm.

 Paris straightened his back and clasped his hands to his sides. “If I did anything inappropriate, I here by apologise.”

“Relax lieutenant your not on trial.” Janeway slipped off the desk and took a step closer to him. “Its ok, I’m not …angry with you.” She said reaching up and gently touching Paris cheek to get him to look down at her. “It may have been inappropriate but I haven’t slept so soundly for a long time, you must have a magic touch.”

“It was more likely the painkillers and antibiotics I gave you that made you sleep.” Paris wasn’t sure where this conversation was going, her hand was still on his slightly warm cheek and he could feel his heart racing around his chest.

“Tom…”

The door chime broke into Janeways thoughts and words, and she quickly stepped back away from Paris and around her desk as she called, “Come in”.

Chakotay entered and stopped. “Sorry am I disturbing something?”

“No.” Janeway replied tapping her security code into Paris compad and handing it back to him from the far side of the desk. “That will be all Mr Paris, you’re dismissed.”

Paris took the pad nodded, turned on his heals and left, being careful not to meet Chakotays gaze as he passed him. He was out of the door before either of them spoke so there conversation was lost to his ears but he preyed on the walk to the turbo lift and all the way down to engineering that she would keep the ‘kiss’ incident to her self.


Several Days and nights passed and the ‘kiss’ was forgotten, then one evening as Paris was leaving the bridge Chakotay stopped him and pulled him into his office.

“Tom I need you to do something for me.” Chakotay said crossing to his desk and palming an object before Paris saw it.

Puzzled Paris didn’t say a word.

“I’m worried about the Captain, she’s not been sleeping very well since..., well you know.”  Chakotay paused for a moment. “The thing is she’s forbidden me to mention anything to the doctor, you know how she is about him making a fuss over her health.”

“Sure he’s had her scheduled twice for a complete check-up since …, you know what but she keeps putting it off.”

“Exactly!” responded Chakotay wagging a finger at Paris. “However she wouldn’t suspect you.”

“Suspect me?” Paris was becoming more and more puzzled as Chakotay went on.

“I want you to take her this.” Chakotay held open his hand inside was a hypospray. “It’s a sleeping draft; I got from sickbay when the doctor wasn’t looking.”

“Looking or not you know he’s going to miss that eventually and I’ll be his first suspect.”

“You’re a big boy Tom you’ll come up with a good excuse.” Chakotay pressed the hypospray into Paris hand. “Take this to the captain; tell her you’ve noticed how tired she’s been looking or something, sweet talk her, your good at that. Just get her to take it, one more night without rest and she’ll be falling asleep in her command chair.”

“You know if she’s having problems sleeping there could be a medical reason behind it, I don’t think doping her up is a good idea.”

“Neither do I, so if you can charm her into keeping an appointment with the doc while your there be my guest.”

Paris thought about what Chakotay was asking him to do and it made sense, The captain wasn’t one to take advice where her own health was concerned and he could just image the conversation he’d had with her on the sleep issue. Perhaps with there resent history he could persuade her to let him check her over or better still agree to a full medical.

“Ok I’ll do it, but don’t blame me if she cottons on that this was your plan.”

“I have the utmost faith in you.” Chakotay replied smiling broadly, then ushered Paris out of the door before he could change his mind.


Janeway had retired to her quarters early, she had foregone the noise and bustle of the mess hall and eaten in her room however, she had barely touched the meal she’d replicated and was trying to relax with warm drink of cinnamon milk when the door chimed. Sighing deeply she stole, herself for another cross exam from Chakotay and without rising from the seat beneath her window called ‘enter’. She was pleasantly surprised though when Paris stepped over the threshold, his boyish smile always cheered her up and after there last encounter, she had longed for some time alone with him again.

“Tom.” She called him by his first name and managed a weary smile of her own. “What can I do for you at this hour?”

Paris moved into the room allowing the doors to slide shut behind him, he had the hypospray hidden up his sleeve out of sight, but its cold shape was a reminder that his mission was not one of a personal nature. Trying not to look Janeway directly in the eye he spoke quickly. “Chakotay told me you were having problems sleeping.” Dam that was wrong he shouldn’t have mentioned the commanders name. “He suggested I bring you something to help.” Hell it wasn’t his idea let him take the blame for this.

Janeway’s expression changed as she rose and moved slowly towards him “Did he now!” She said, eyeing his right sleeve. “Let me guess a hypospray sleeping draft?”

Tom removed the object in question and held it out cautiously. “It’s up to you and I won’t report it to the doc.” He said in his own defence.

Janeway smiled, she knew Tom was just a pawn in Chakotay game. “You know Tom.” She said slowly circling around Paris, “There is something you can do to help me sleep.” Paris stood still meeting her face to face, as she stopped in front of him and draped one arm over his shoulder. “Only it doesn’t come in a hypospray”.

An expression of fear and utter confusion briefly crossed Paris face before he realised what she was referring too. “C...Captain I…” he stuttered, blushing with embarrassment.

Janeway couldn’t help giggling. “It’s ok Tom I’m just teasing,” Brushing past him she took the hypospray from his hand, but as she moved away Paris reached out and caught her arm stopping her. Then before she had time to react, he leaned closer and planted a kiss on her cheek. “Good night Kathryn,” he said then releasing her, promptly exited the room.

Janeway stood where Paris had left her, clutching the hypospray and staring at the now closed door. He’d called her bluff, but she didn’t care, she had got her ‘kiss’.


Chakotay knew who was waiting for the turbo lift even before it came to a halt, so when the doors opened and Captain Janeway entered he was ready or at least he thought he was.

“Good morning commander.” Janeway said nonchalantly standing beside her first officer.

“Good morning captain.” Chakotay replied while checking his boots where still shinny. “Did you sleep well?”

“As a matter of fact I did.” Janeway responded, “And I didn’t need this either.” She held up the hypospray she’d taken from Paris, it was unused.

Chakotay took it from her, ‘I should have known Paris would mess up’ he said to himself. “Though I’m glad you didn’t need it.”

Janeway’s mind was also on Paris but for other reasons. “I’ve scheduled a check-up with the doctor later.”

“Good, assuming you keep it of course.”

“It’s the only way I’ll get you and Paris off my back.”

“If it was the other way around, you would have ordered me to see the doctor days ago.”

“True, but it’s a captain’s prerogative to be awkward in these matters.”

Before Chakotay could respond the turbo lift stopped and the doors opened onto the bridge, allowing Janeway to escape to her ready room, he thought about following her, but something about the way the door slid shut behind her, made him decided against it.


Later that day while Janeway was undergoing a meticulously examination from the doctor in sickbay, Paris rushed in with a glum expression on his face.

“You’re late Mr Paris.” The doctor said without looking up from his medical scanner.

“I know Chakotay held me up, I’ll make up the time at the end of my shift.”

Paris crossed to the rear of the room as he spoke moving out of the doctor’s line of sight but still where Janeway, lying on the diagnostic bed could see him. She watched as he produced the hypospray she’d returned to Chakotay from up his sleeve and place it on a tray of other random instruments.

“Please make sure you do” The doctor smiled at Janeway but she was already smiling at Paris. Unperturbed the doctor helped her to sit up. “Well captain I can find nothing physically wrong with you.”

“I didn’t think there was but you know what a worrier Chakotay can be.”

“I said nothing physically wrong; mentally I believe you are suffering from a mild case of post traumatic stress.”

Janeway laughed and glanced at Paris who was hovering within earshot. “You could render that diagnosis for half the crew on any day of the week.”

“You are probably correct but today it is your turn and I prescribe light duty’s and relaxation.”

“Chance would be a fine thing this ship is still in a mess and I have too…”

“Rest.” The doctor cut her off. “I can make that bed rest if you prefer under my supervision.”

Squaring up too Janeway the doctor looked her in the eye and watched as she crumbled.

“Very well I will delegate work from my ready room and get an early night with a good novel.” Turning before the doctor could add anything further she left sickbay giving Paris a sly wink as she passed him.


Janeway wasn’t sure why she was running down the corridor but with each step more lights went out behind her and the dark got closer. She new it was a corridor on Voyager but she didn’t know which one, why it had no doors or why it was so long. Looking back into the dark, she saw something, an outline of something huge, and she heard its ragged breathing. It was getting nearer, she had to run faster, and she had to get to…to where…

Her foot slipped, pain shot through her ankle and she fell to the floor, landing with a soundless thud. Sitting up quickly she touched the swollen limb and winced, she couldn’t run anymore and the lights around her were going out allowing the dark to catch up. “Who’s there?” she called as the huge dark shape loomed over her. She could now feel its breath on her neck, icy cold breath that sent shivers down her back and made her heart pound in her ears.

Waking up with a start Janeway called out. “Who’s there?”

No reply came but she could still feel the cold breath of the dark on her neck. “Computer lights.”

The room was bathed in sharp bright light, she was in her bedroom, everything was as she had left it and it was empty. Gathering her dressing gown around her Janeway silently tossed the covers back and slipped quietly off the bed. Tiptoeing to the doorway, she peered around it into her living area, that too was empty and just as she had left it.

“Computer has anyone entered these quarters since 2200 hours.” She called out.

“No one has entered.” The computer voice responded echoing in the silent room.

“Has anyone or anything exited?” Janeway asked crossing to the seat beneath her window.

“No one or thing as exited.” The computer replied in its monotone voice.

“How many bio signs do you read in the captains quarters?” If there was someone hiding this would flush them out.”

“One, Captain Kathryn Janeway.”

It was the reply she had hoped for but it still didn’t make her feel any better.

“Computer locate lieutenant Paris?”

“Lieutenant Tom Paris is in his quarters”

“Is he alone?”

“There are no other bio signatures present.”

“Janeway to Paris.” It was an impulse call, one she began to regret nevertheless when he didn’t respond she still called a second time. “Tom?”

Paris woke from a deep sleep to the chirp of his combadge and Janeway’s earnest voice calling him. 

“Captain what is it?” He asked, trying not to sound sleepy.

“I woke you. I’m sorry, its not important go back to sleep.” 

“Captain?” Paris rubbed his eyes and tried to make sense of what was happening, but Janeway has already closed the link.

If anyone else had woken him in the middle of the night then said sorry go back to sleep he probably would have, however Janeway wasn’t just anybody she was his captain, his friend and she was not on form right now.

After ending her call to Paris Janeway replicated a cup of coffee and settled down to spend the night sleepless on her quarter’s sofa. Yet before she could take her first sip, the door chime interrupted her.

“Computer who’s there.”

“Lieutenant Tom Paris.”

“Dam!” She thought of not answering but that wouldn’t be fair, she had after all woken him. Putting her cup down she rose and crossed to the door. “Enter.”

He had dressed hastily, buttoning his Hawaiian shirt up wrong and his hair was still ruffled from sleep.

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have called you its just….” Her voice quivered before trailing off.

He had been right something was definitely wrong. “Hey! What is it?”

“It’s nothing, I had a dream.” Janeway tried to dismiss what had transpired but she could see Paris wasn't convinced. “It woke me with a start and for a moment I thought there was someone in my room.”

“An intruder?” All of Paris senses became alert at once. “Have you called security?”

“No there was no one here I’d imagined it.” Turning away from Paris, she tried to regain some composure before continuing, “I was spooked.”

“I find that hard to believe.” Something was going on, it had been since her shuttle crash and abduction, which was why she wasn’t sleeping and Paris was determined to get to the bottom of it.

“Why? Because I’m the great unflappable Kathryn Janeway?”

Rounding on Paris she almost spat in his face but unfazed by her outburst he stood his ground and calmly replied.

“No because you were trained by my father and you have to be pretty unflappable to work along side him.”

Janeway smiled, and then shook her head. “They almost broke me.” She was nearly in tears, the doctors diagnosis had been right. Hugging her arms around her trembling body Janeway walked over to the window and stared out at the stars falling away into the distance.

“I never saw there faces they blindfolded me while I was unconscious. I woke to find myself shackled to a chair. I tried to reason with them but they wouldn’t talk, they just kept asking the same questions over and over again. When I was too exhausted to stay awake, they threw me into a room. At first I just lay curled up savouring the silence then I took the blindfold off.” Janeway shivered and swallowed hard against the fear roiling like snakes in her stomach.

Seeing her like this was tearing Paris apart but he had to hold back and wait for her to finish.

“It was pitch black; I had to feel my way across the floor, then around the walls. Eight by ten I worked it out, with a mat and blanket in one corner for me to rest on. I don’t know how long they kept me there; I slept most of the time it was easier to handle the darkness with my eyes shut.”

The tears were becoming harder to control as she remembered the next events.

“One time when I woke I heard something, breathing. Someone or something else was in the room with me. I called out, who’s there? What do you want? No reply came but the sound stopped. By this time, I was hungry, thirsty and weak I put it down to my mind playing tricks and fell asleep again. Only it wasn’t in my mind when I next awoke my blanket was gone and I was pinned to the mat by a great weight. It breathed heavy cold breath against my neck as it pawed me all over. I couldn’t move to fight it off and when I tried to scream my parched throat didn’t work. Terrified I waited, after some time it just clambered off and slinked away; all I could was lie there and listen, as its breathing got quieter then stopped.” Janeway took a deep breath and turned to Paris. “I keep having dreams that its here on Voyager and coming for me.”

Paris gathered her into his arms as the first tears broke and held her tight. “Its ok your safe now.” He repeated stroking her hair as she sobbed against his shoulder.


Eventually Kathryn stopped crying, she did feel safe in Paris arms, and on the nights when he had kissed her she had slept without dreaming of the creature. He was the only one who could chase it away for good.

She was almost asleep on her feet leaning against him when he lifted her up and carried her in to the bedroom area. Moreover, she was still half-asleep when he gently tugged the belt of her dressing gown open and slipped it off her shoulders to reveal the swell of her breasts beneath the flimsy clothe of her nightgown. Sleep was probably to blame for her next move. Touching Paris hand, she guided it down to her breast, allowing it to rest over the warm flesh. The soft nipple found Paris thumb and without him evening moving rose to a hard peak.

“Kathryn?” Paris spoke to question her actions but as he did, she reached up, drew him down to her and kissed him.

Caught off guard and not wanting to offend Paris kissed her back trying to keep it platonic however, Kathryn had different ideas and the embrace soon became a little more passionate. It was difficult not to respond after all she was a beautiful women one he had admired from afar for nearly three years. Hoping the kiss would end with her wishing him goodnight he let it take its course, but it wasn’t to be, as they parted Kathryn said softly almost pleadingly.

“Make love to me.”

This was his cue to formulate an escape, unfortunately when Paris gazed down into her tearful frightened eyes he found himself wanting with all his heart to grant her wish.

“Kay, are sure?” He asked, in case she was just teasing him again.

“Your kisses helped me sleep; perhaps your love can drive away the nightmares?”

“My lips are pretty special but I don’t think they have any magical properties.”

“Want to bet?” Kathryn whispered then kissing him deeply pulled his body to hers.

This time she let him take control, moaning softly as he released her lips and began tracing a line of kiss’s toward the hallow of her throat. Meanwhile his hands wandered down her body, following the curves of her breasts. Leaning backwards, she caressed the back of his neck as his mouth sought the valley between her breasts.

She could feel the heat of his breath on her nipples through the thin fabric of her nightgown. At first he seemed content to tease her thought the cloth but soon she felt his hands roam upwards again and slipping the straps of her nightdress down he exposed the flesh beneath. Then taking each nipple in turn he commenced to suckle them into hard peaks.

Gasping with pleasure Kathryn cradled his head as he worked his magic on her body. She had dreamed of this many times since meeting her charismatic pilot but none of her dreams had prepared her for the rapturous explosions that shot through her now.

Briefly returning his lips to hers, Tom drew back and gazed down at her. Her face shone with desire for him but fear filled her eyes and as he caressed her cheek, he almost changed his mind.

“Computer lights out.” He called then lowering Kathryn to the bed, he slipped out of his clothes and lay beside her.

Released from its cloth restraints his firm shaft was all to present between them and as he leaned in to kiss Kathryn, she took it in her cool hand and caressed its length making him moan with pleasure.

Desperate now to have him inside her she pulled him on top of her but he held himself above her, teasing, playing at the gates of her body, refusing to enter. She was growing wanton, her hips arching towards him, trying to achieve the union he withheld. She could feel the heat and fury of his breath on her face and knowing that he was as eager as she was urged him to cross her threshold.

Finally mercifully, as she reached the edge of madness, he relented and with one swift stroke impaled her. She gasped as a sharp, delicious; near-pain engulfed her body.

Coupled and moaning with desire for each other they reached orgasm simultaneously. He stayed inside her savoring every moment of their joining, until the heat of their passion had chilled, then without a word they nestled there bodies together and fell asleep.


Janeway woke to the sound of her combadge chirping and the voice of Chakotay calling her name. Reaching for the badge on her night stand she became aware that she wasn’t alone. Paris arm was across her waist and his warm body was spooned against hers.

Tapping the badge she spoke softly. “Chakotay good morning is there a problem?”

“I hope not, we had a meeting scheduled for this morning and your fifteen minuets late.”

“Dam!” Janeway cursed, she’d forgotten to set an alarm call. “I’m sorry Commander, give me half an hour, I’ll meet you in my ready room.”

“No rush, take an hour.” Chakotay replied, secretly he was just glad that she was sleeping he didn’t really care about the missed meeting.

“Paris stirred behind Janeway and a smile crept across her face. “Very well I’ll see you in one hour.” Closing the comlink before turning over, she gazed into Paris sleepy but open eyes. “Tom last night…”

“Was a mistake I kn…..”

“No! Last night was wonderful.”

“Kay?”

Leaning closer Kathryn kissed Tom, then pushed him back down onto the soft pillows. “I have an hour.” Straddling his hips she lowered herself onto his stiffening shaft.

Taking her face in his hands he gazed up at her, on her face he saw the same desire he’d seen last night but in her eyes this time he saw love. She was going to be a demanding lover how he was going to satisfy that demand he looked forward to finding out.

The End