It wasn’t hard for Belanna and Seven to find the impact creator caused by the stray meteor crashing into the Phenylan’s moon surface. It was about a mile wide and half as deep. The meteor hadn’t actually hit the Phenylan defence system, which consisted of a central complex above ground and a network of tunnels underground, which radiated out from it like spider legs.

It had however severed the power relays between the system and the solar power storage units half a mile away. Without this power, the heavy-duty solar phasers nestled in silos at the end of each ‘leg’ couldn’t receive their instructions to fire or indeed fire if they had.

“I can repair the power relays.” Belanna informed Janeway over the com-system from her shuttle on the moons surface.

Janeway had woken that morning alone and after showering and dressing, retired to her ready room with a cup of coffee. Chakotay wasn’t on the bridge as she passed through and Paris according to the computer was planet side with the doctor so she’d made it there without having to fend off any awkward questions or embarrassing glances.

“How long do you estimate repairs?” Janeway asked, sipping the warm sweet liquid in her cup.

“Two days.” Belanna replied. “I would also like to install some kind of shielding to prevent this from happening again.”

“That would take more than two days?” Janeway noted.

“No more than an extra day.” Seven of Nine interjected. “But I did not think time was of the essence in this instance?”

“No Seven the time scale if of no importance, after all I Believe we have a window of 200 years do we not?”

“I do not believe it will take that long.” Seven said a little put out by the captains remark.

Janeway smiled. “Oh, by the way if you come across any of the ‘Guardians’ you are not to disturb them.”

“Captain?”

“They are like gods to these people, if they thought you had defiled them in any way, things could get ugly.”

“Duly noted.” Belanna said signing off.

The rest of the morning went by without incident and Janeway took the opportunity to catch up on her paper work. Compad’s and data reports had piled up in her absence creating a tidy workload that kept her tied up all through lunch. The afternoon however began with a visit from Chakotay.

“Vorik and a group of engineers from Pernode have been able to restore power to the hospital.” He announced upon entering then handed Janeway another report to read and sign off on.

Taking it from him, she added it to the pile already on her desk.

“That’s good news, any word on the food supplies?” She was deliberately trying to keep the conversation on business matters to deter him from asking uncomfortable questions.

“Distribution is commencing as we speak along with 3000 more blankets.” Chakotay changed his posture to a more relaxed one and lowered his voice. “I’ve arranged a small service for Lieutenant Mason for this evening at 19.00 hours but I can change it if…”

“No!” Janeway broke off his chain of thought. “I’ll be there.” Rising to her feet she crossed to the room’s window and watched as Phenylan turned slowly below them.

“You know we had 46 crew in Pernode city when the meteor’s struck, yet we lost only 1 man.”

“Starfleet survival techniques I guess.” Chakotay commented.

“More like damn luck.” Janeway half turned back to Chakotay, he was standing at ease with his feet slightly apart, and his hands clasped behind his back. “If Tom Paris hadn’t been at that party with me I don’t think I would be here now.”

“I heard he carried you down ten flights of stairs.”

“It was only seven but it was his idea to hide in the basement.”

Moving towards Janeway, Chakotay asked. “What happened in that basement?”

Janeway turned slowly to face Chakotay; he now stood just two feet from her. If he wanted he could reach out and touch her, pull her too him and hold her but he didn’t, his hands remained fixed behind him. Pulling herself up to full height Janeway matched his stance and looked him in the eye as she spoke, “I’ve been in mortal peril before but never have I felt as powerless as the moment I heard that building come crashing down. Never before have I felt the spectre of death breath so deeply against my neck, and never again will I …”

The com beep seemed louder than normal and Janeway jumped at the sound.

“Captain there is a senator Rimington wishing to speak with you.” Tuvox usual monotone voice said over the link.

Inwardly groaning and outwardly rubbing the furrows from her forehead Janeway crossed back to her desk. “Patch it through to me here.” She said in response then turned back to Chakotay but he was already leaving.

“Perhaps we will get a chance to talk later.” She said watching him go.

“Perhaps?” Chakotay echoed then left, the doors swishing close as the senator’s voice came over the com-channel.

The senate building was built like a Roman Forum, three stories high with balcony’s and walks ways over looking a central square courtyard. Many of the homeless people from Pernode city had sort refuge in the square, setting up camp within its protective walls. It was into the centre of this camp that Janeway materialised.

Greeting the transporters platform operator with a nod she quickly got her bearings and moved off at a swift pace to the south entrance were senator Rimington was to meet her. She was nearly at the steps to the arched entrance when she saw Paris. He didn’t see her at first; he was too busy running health checks on the Phenylan children gathered around him.

There had been a memo on her desk earlier from the doctor about the radiation possibly affecting the young and old but she hadn’t yet had time to respond. Casting her eyes around for the doctor, she made a mental note to speak with him after she’d seen the senator. Failing to locate him in the melee, she paused and glanced back in Paris direction, only to find him staring at her.

Outlined against the ornate sand stone walls Kathryn Janeway created a tableau of beauty in Paris eyes and ignoring the tiny hands pawing at his arms and the shrill voices begging to be next, he stood staring up at her. When her gaze travelled in his direction, common sense told him to nod, smile, and look away, but he didn’t listen. In the end, it took the shadow of a shuttle passing overhead to draw them apart. 

Steeling her chance as Paris looked up; Janeway quickly climbed the steps and disappeared into the senate building.

“Captain Janeway.” Senator Rimington who had been pacing the corridors in anticipation of her arrival strode eagerly towards her.

Meeting him halfway Janeway greeted the man with a smile and a handshake. He looked like he hadn’t slept, but he’d changed clothes and washed the dust from his hair.

“Senator its lovely to see you again.”

“And you captain.” He replied pumping her hand vigorously. “Do you mind if we walk and talk?”

“Not at all.” The senator’s plea of needing to speak with her urgently had seemed ordinary considering the current crisis, but now with the obviously distressed politician beside her she was suspicious.

“I have asked you here so that I might seek your advice in private.”

“It is not our policy to interfere in the politics of other worlds but on a personal level I will certainly try my best.”

Unfortunately this is a political matter.”

“Ah.” Janeway thought about weather she should excuses herself but she was too intrigued and genuinely wanted to help if she could. “Nevertheless I will listen.”

The senator exhaled then looked both ways along the corridor that was ominously empty before speaking again. “There has been dissension in the senate as to weather we should tell the people the truth about the ‘Guardians’ and the sky rocks.”

“How bad?”

“It‘s a pretty even split right now but the more religious senators are very persuasive. They say we would destroy the foundation of our society and that the people would loose faith, creating anarchy and possibly war.”

“I hate to say this but they are probably correct. On the other hand, the people of Phenylan should know the truth. If they had known, something could have been done over the years to protect the defence system better, and yesterday’s tragedy would never have happened.”

“That is the very point I have been arguing in the great hall, but so many of them are afraid of the truth more than they are afraid of the sky rocks. Some have even said that the ancient documents are false created by the scientists to propagate more funds for there worthless experiments.”

“We have a saying in my world; None are so blind as those who refuse to see.”

“Wise words.” The senator looked to his feet, stopped, then turned to look back up at Janeway. “Perhaps you could speak with them, show them what you have found on our moon.”

“I could put the relevant data together in minuets, the question is can you get the senate to review it?”

The senator sighed deeply. “I can…”

“Paris to Janeway.” The combadge chirp broke into their conversation and frustrated she replied. “Now’s not a good time Mr Paris.”

“I beg to differ.” Paris responded a little perturbed by the tone of her voice, although not so much that he was distracted from catching the knife wielding Phenylan before him off guard. Slugging the man out cold Paris retrieved the doctor’s stolen mobile emitter from his sweaty palm and ducked just as a phaser blast struck the ground beside him.

The verbal and fist fighting had erupted into an exchange of phaser fire and the shouts of confusion into screams of terror as Starfleet and civilians ran for cover from the armed crazed mob that had entered their midst. Searching for cover least he became a target a second time Paris saw Harry Kim by the transporter pad being pummelled into the ground by three men. Unfortunately he also saw another group of armed Phenylan’s heading for the steps of the senate building where he knew Janeway was, possibly alone and defenceless.

“Tom?” Janeway yelled over the comlink but her call was drowned out by the sound of phaser fire and screams coming over the link but also from the end of the corridor.

“You had better stay here.” She said to the senator than began running towards the battle sounds. It was at this point she realised she was unarmed, yet the thought of her crew, Tom, being in danger kept her feet moving.

The senator ignoring her words ran after Janeway, catching up with her just in time to skid to a halt at her side and watch a bloody faced Paris roll through the arched doorway in front of them and dive for cover behind an ornate pillar.

“Tom what’s happening?” Janeway called finding herself feeling a little more than concerned about the amount of blood dripping from his nose.

Keeping one eye on the end of the corridor Paris moved swiftly to her side, relief at finding her in one piece was probably written all over his face but he didn’t care. “We got ordered to leave by a mob of guys wielding knifes and bats. When Harry asked why, they started throwing punches.” Paris took a deep breath and a moment to wipe the blood from his face with a shirtsleeve. “I saw one of them take the doc’s holo-emitter, I managed to get it back but by then all hell had broke loose. “

“Where did they get phasers?” Janeway asked.

“I got a look at one; they’re from voyager, probably stolen.”

“Has anyone been killed?” The senator asked a mixed look of confusion and horror on his face.

“Not for the want of trying on the part of some of your citizens.” Paris answered then noticed Janeway glaring at him and shut up.

“Chakotay to Janeway.”

“Go ahead.”

“We have a situation the Phenylan government is insisting are people return to Voyager and leave Phenylan space.”

“Do as they ask, recall everyone, order them not to resist, I don’t want anymore bloodshed.”

“I think you had better get back here.”

“Not so sure if that’s possible right now. Janeway out.”

A movement behind Paris caught Janeways eye as she looked up. “Tom?”

Turning swiftly Paris saw three men about fifty yards back down the corridor, one was wielding a sickle like weapon, the other two were holding stolen federation phasers. While considering weather they had them on stun or kill, one called out.

“There’s two of them and they have the senator hostage.”

Paris glanced down at his own weapon, which was casually held at his side and called back. “No you have it wrong, we…”

Unfortunately, the Phenylans weren’t paying attention and with a battle cry of. “Get them!” they charged.

“I don’t think they’re going to listen to reason.” Janeway said, grabbing Paris arm as an indication that she didn’t want him to tackle them head on. “Senator is there another way out?”

“Yes, this way.” Senator Remington said enthusiastically and headed off down the long passageway.

Janeway followed and with a slight tug on his sleeve so did Paris.

As they rounded a corner, blasts from the stolen phasers ricocheted off the walls and floors, around them. Fortunately, for the trio the two Phenylans were unfamiliar with phasers and there shots were fell wide but there was always the possibility of a lucky shot. 

Unaccustomed to running away from a fight Paris called ahead to Janeway. “Ok if I return fire?”

Janeways reply was short and to the point. “They shot first!”

Permission granted he raised his weapon, spun around and took aim at the three pursuers. Skilled and practised with a phaser, Paris was able, even while back peddling to keep up with the others, to take out the closest man with one shot. When the second hesitated at his fallen comrade’s body, he quickly lined up his phaser again and deftly dropped him beside the first.

The third man though with his weapon glinting menacingly, waited until Paris was out of eyesight around the next corner before advancing. Stepping over his unconscious friends, he ignored the phasers that had proved useless in their hands and crept forward with his sharpened blade raised. But as he cautiously inched around the wall he saw that the two Voyager’s had already been captured, robbing him of his chance.

Two Phenylans wearing similar clothes to senator Remington stood before Janeway and Paris smiling smugly while four other Phenylans spread out around them taking Paris phaser and briefly searching   Janeway in case she had one hidden.

Paris was reluctant to relinquish his weapon but feared if he put up a fight they would find the doctors mobile emitter, which he still had secreted on his person.

“Senator Harlow what is the meaning of this?” Remington asked indicating the other man's entourage and the weapons now pointed at them.

“These people have brought ‘thisss’ upon themselves with there weapons and warships.” Harlow emphasized the ‘s’ in ‘this’ as he spoke with controlled anger. “They must leave before they contaminate us any further.”

The senator’s words chaffed at Janeway but she responded in a calm controlled voice. “My people have done nothing but try and help you. Right now they are repairing the guardian defence system on your moon so that this tragedy won’t happen again.”

“Defence system!” Baulked the other senator with Harlow. “I don’t know what you mean. There is nothing on our moon but the sacred grounds of our ethereal Guardians, who are angry with us for letting you come here.”

Janeway had heard similar words before and tried to placate the man. “You believe the sky rocks were some kind of punishment I can understand that. Your belief…”

“Then understand this!” Harlow cut Janeway short and raised his voice. “We want you gone! Only when that happens will the Guardians forgive us and bless this land again.”

“What!” Paris exclaimed in disbelief. “You think by kicking us off your planet the Guardians will raise your buildings from the rubble, heal your sick and injured and make the dead walk again?”

“TOM!” Janeway called the warning without turning to look at him. “We are leaving, my men have been ordered to cease resisting and cooperate with your wishes. Any Phenylan’s still on my ship will like wise be returned.”

“Thank you Captain.” Harlow bowed slightly as an indication of power over Janeway. “You won’t mind then if I keep you here until all my people have been safely returned?”

Janeway had half expected this and under the circumstances was in no position to argue. “As a gesture of my crew’s compliance I will gladly stay.”

This pleased the senator and he nodded with satisfaction.

“You take them away.” The other senator pointed at one of the underlings then at Paris and Remington.

“No!” Janeway called looking directly at senator Harlow “They stay with me.”

Harlow smiled even more smugly, an act Janeway had thought impossible until she witnessed it.

“Why not. Make them comfortable in his office for now we can deal with subversives and non believers later.”

Before the office door was even clamped shut and locked, Paris had begun surveying the room for a possible escape route.

“Any other way out of this room senator?” Janeway asked reading Paris ticking mind. “Secret doors, maybe a large air vent?”

“Just the window, though we are three stories up.”

The senator was correct, they had been escorted into an old elevator and then taken to the senate buildings top floor, before being marched into the spacious, elaborately decorated office. Nevertheless, Paris immediately strode to the window in question, dragged back the floor to ceiling drapes and unhooked the six-foot tall stained glass window. Janeway joined him as he swung it open to reveal the inner courtyard below. The mêlée was beginning to calm some, allowing them a clear view of the centrally placed transporter platform and the Voyager crewmembers being lead at gunpoint towards it.

“There’s Harry.” Paris pointed at a small figure that was about to be dematerialised. “He’s injured! Damn! I should have stayed with him.” Paris turned away from the window and the sheer drop to the ground.

Janeway though watched a moment longer as the last of her people vanished and the Phenylans set about destroying the transporter equipment. A moment was all she could stand before having to move away from the scene of wanton mindless destruction. Instead, she drew close to Paris side and resting a hand on his shoulder spoke softly. “If you had stayed with Harry I would be on my own now.”

Placing his hand over hers, Paris squeezed it gently and smiled. He knew in his heart that given the same choice, again, he’d still pick her and she knew it.

Having lost herself in the deepness of his blue eyes, the sound of the window slamming shut behind Janeway startled her and she turned just in time to see the senator drag the heavy curtains back across its still rattling frame.

“I can’t bare to look.” He said as he strode back across the room. “Its tearing me apart to see my peaceful people like this.”

“I’m sorry senator.” Janeway said, sharing a worried glance with Paris as he released her hand, then moved towards the now obviously distressed man. “Your probably thinking that perhaps it would have been better if we had never come to your planet.”

“On the contrary captain, if you had not come I would be dead now, and so would many of my friends and once they realise that they will come to their senses.”

“Your country’s on the verge of civil war senator.” Paris said moving to stand by Janeway. “Sense doesn’t come into it.”

“What is a ‘civil war’ I have no understanding of this concept?” The lonely politician replied sitting down wearily in his office chair

“Take another look out of that window then.” Paris added approaching the daunted man and getting a jab in the ribs from Janeway for his effort.

“Tom!” She called his name with a sharpness in her voice. “Maybe a little more tact wouldn’t go amiss.”

“Sorry captain, but I’ve just seen my best friend attacked for no reason at all and now I’m being held hostage by a bunch of ingrates.”

“Your feelings are running hot I know but we must….”

“I will probably be killed once you leave.”

“Senator?” Janeway had turned to chastise Paris however, the senator’s words cut her short and she quickly swung back to the man.

“3000 years ago those that didn’t believe in the story’s of the ‘Guardians’ or tried to tell the truth about the sky rocks, disappeared.” The senator’s vision as he spoke was fixed on a photograph of a women placed prominently on his desk. “Some turned up weeks later, dead of course, others were never heard of again.”

“You really think they will kill you?” Janeway asked.

“They will make it look like an accident or even say you did it.”

“That would probably work.” Paris said under his breath and received another elbow in the ribs for his trouble.

“In that case when we leave you will have to come too.” Janeway tried to sound positive but her own thoughts were running very negative.

“Even if they let you, I could not go.” The senator reached for the photograph and ran his fingers tenderly over the women’s face. “There are others that believe like me, other subversives. They can’t leave.”

“Are you worried for your family?” Janeway asked steeping closer.

“No.” The senator said looking up. “My wife died many years ago, we had no children and neither of us had any siblings, so no I have no family but I do have friends and colleagues and they have families.”

“I said earlier that it was not our policy to interfere in the politics and conflicts of other worlds, nonetheless it is my personal policy to always clean up after myself.”

Both the senator and Paris regarded Janeway with confusion written on their faces.

“We started this mess, all be it unintentionally by coming to your planet, so it’s our job to clean it up.”

“How?” Paris asked.

“First things first Mr Paris.” Janeway replied her earlier doubts quashed. “Do you still have the doctor?”

“Yes.”

“Activate him. Senator would you keep a listen at the door?”

Bemused but eager the senator made his way to the double wooden doors while Paris briefly turning his back on Janeway fished the doctor’s mobile emitter from its hiding place and activated it.

“Captain, Lieutenant Paris what happened?”

“It’s a long story doctor, but the gist of it is that some of the natives have turned hostile and the senator, Tom and I are now being held in this room until Voyagers crew withdraw from the planet.”

“An uprising, eh, are we for or against?”

“Neither, but anyone who knows the truth about the guardians is in mortal danger, including us.”

“Has anyone been injured?”

“No, I just need you as a communication link with Voyager for now.”

“Ah.” The doctor looked crest fallen as he allowed Janeway to tap his photonic communicator.

“Janeway to Voyager.”

The com link, which via the doctors mobile emitter worked as good as the real thing chirped and crackled briefly before a familiar voice responded to her hail.

“Captain, are you ok?” Chakotay asked barely keeping the joy from his voice.

“I am unharmed though held hostage in the senate building, with Mr Paris, the doctor and senator Rimington. What is Voyagers stasis?”

“Voyagers back to full working order, most of the crew is accounted for, and the last few stragglers are being rounded up as we speak. Reports are coming in that the Phenylans are destroying the transporter pads once they clear an area. Is the one near you intact?”

“Negative.” Janeway answered with a sigh. “What about our shuttles?”

“All recalled. A senator Harlow, who appears to be in charge, has threatened to murder a group of twenty ‘non-believers’ I think he called them, if we attempt to approach Phenylan or use Voyagers weapons.”

“I’ve met him, the non-believers as Harlow put it are Phenylans like senator Rimington who have knowledge of the moons defence system or don’t believe in the deity of the guardians”

“Do you think he would kill his own people in cold blood?” Chakotay asked. “I didn’t think the Phenylans had it in them to be violent?”

“Never underestimate a new race or the power of faith.” Janeway reminded her commanding officer. “There social structure is coming apart at the seams down here and its going to take a lot of sticky tape to repair it.”

“You speak like you have a plan.”

“I’m currently still formulating one, my priority for now is to get back to Voyager and keep the senator alive.”

“It will be another sixteen hours before the radiation has dispersed enough for a transport without boosters, even then I’ll have to use the doctor as a lock on.”

“What if we get up higher?” Janeway suggested. “There’s a mountain range to our east. If we got above the cloud layer, would that help?

“Sure but you said you were being held captive, how…?

“You forget I have Tom with me and there isn’t a door, lock, or security device that he can’t open given half a chance.”

Paris grinned from ear to ear yet said nothing as Janeway gazed confidently at him.

“Is there anything we can do from here to help?”

“Negative, but there is something Belanna can do for me.” Positioning the doctor so his back was to the senator at the office door Janeway spoke a little quieter. “I want her to inspect the ‘Guardians’ downed shuttle to see if its space worthy and if not make it so.”

“Sure no problem, she’s been itching to get he hands on it anyway. What about the ‘pilots’?

“For the time being have them moved to where the others are in the main complex.” Janeway rubbed her tied eyes. “It was their final destination after all.”

“I’ll see that it’s done.” Chakotay said taking note of the weariness in her voice, he knew she had hardly slept and was having difficulty coming to terms with the trauma of the meteor strike. “You just get your tail up that mountain for 0900 hours tomorrow.”

“I’ll be waiting, Janeway out.” As she tapped the comlink closed, she let her hand rest over it for a while and lowered her heavy eyelids. In the darkness, she remembered the terrifying noise of the building falling and for a split second, she was back there, in Tom’s arms cowering in fear while his stolen kiss awakened her senses.

“Captain?” The softness of the doctor’s voice and the coolness of his phonic skin on her hand brought Janeway out of her dream and she realised that both Paris and the doctor were looking at her with concern.

“Sorry I was just thinking.” She bluffed and pulled her hand free from the doctors. “What about you? Any plan of action to get us out of here yet?”

“I though we would do this the old-fashioned way.” Paris responded, not convinced by her act.

Janeway had come to know Paris very well over the last four years, and knew exactly what he was talking about.

“We won’t be needing the doctor then.” She said unceremoniously plucking the mobile emitter from his arm. This of course immediately deactivated him, something which going by the doctor’s expression as he winked out of physical existence was not appreciated.

“He won’t thank you for that.” Paris said taking the mobile emitter from Janeway.

“He’ll forget about it once I tell him where you have been hiding him all this time.” Janeway enjoyed teasing Paris especially over the EMH.

Paris grinned in response and asked. “Do you want to play dead or shall I?”

“I think I will be more effective if I do.” Janeway said glancing over Paris shoulder at the waiting senator. “You can fill our politician in on the details.”

Five minuets later Janeway was lying on the floor, six feet from the office door, looking for all intense and purpose dead, while the senator sitting on the edge of his desk trying not to appear nervous, was waiting for his cue to act.

With everyone, set Paris approached the door and began calling out as loud as he could. “Help, Help! She’s collapsed! I think she’s dead?”

The two ‘guards’ left outside the senators office by Harlow heard Paris commotion and reacted exactly as he had expected. Upon bursting into the room, they saw to their horror Janeway sprawled on the floor and ran straight up to her.

Unfortunately, this meant that they didn’t see Paris approached them from behind or the semi valuable but quite large vase that he was holding. The vase smashed on impact and the guard unaware of what had hit him fell in a heap beside Janeway. The other Phenylan turning to see what was happening took his eyes off the senator and also missed ducking out of the way as Rimington joyfully smashed another of his office vase’s over the mans head.

Once both of their keepers were out cold Janeway leapt to her feet and tugging the senator behind her joined Paris at the now open door.

“Which way?” Paris asked directing his question at Rimington.

“Right, there’s an exit at the back that leads to a hover car port.”

Double-checking the coast was clear, Paris led the way down the corridor, he half expected at any moment for a door to open or a voice to shout out, but they made it to the outside door and the wooden stairs that spiralled down to the ground. In fact, they almost made it to the senators personal hover car before the shout he’d been expecting came.

“Halt!” A raised voice yelled but Paris paid no heed as he yanked open the vehicles door for Janeway to enter. It wasn’t until he turned to see where the senator was that he saw the blade of the knife glinting in the evening sunlight, unfortunately by then it was too late to call out a warning. The Senator staggered forward and crumpled into Paris arms, he was alive, but the knife was buried deep into his flesh. With no time to consider his next move, Paris bundled the man into the back with Janeway then jumped into the hover cars driving seat.

“I can do this.” Paris told himself as he ran his eyes over the vehicles controls.

“Whatever you’re going to do Tom, make it quick.” Janeway called from the back, where she carefully cradled the politician’s head in her lap. Outside several Phenylan’s were fast approaching.

 It’s a known fact that where bipeds are concerned, vehicle controls are always similarly placed, no matter what quadrant of space you come from. Still it took Paris several attempts to find the engine ignition switch. Gripping the steering column, a U shaped device, he turned the hover car away from the Phenylan's, who were now yelling and hammering on the bodywork.  Smashing through the wooden exit barrier, Paris swung the hover car towards the hills and their rendezvous point.

Janeway braced herself in the back seat as she and the senator were jostled together, but didn’t dare distract Paris, who was trying to make sense of the warning lights flashing across the operating console.

He’d expected it; however, when another hover car pulled into view behind him Paris swore allowed in Klingon. “We’ve got a tail.” He yelled.

Janeway half turned to see out of the back, it was only one car as far as she could make out but it was coming straight at them. “Peddle to the meddle Tom.” She ordered getting a tighter grip on the senator.

“I’ll do my best captain, but I’m not exactly proficient with these controls.”

“Then learn quickly, their gaining ground.”

“Yes ma’am.”

In a Starfleet shuttle, Tom Paris could outrun and out fly a fleet of twenty marauding pirates, but in a hover car, on an alien planet, with unfamiliar controls, he was more thumbs than fingers, and was going to have to pull out all the stops if they were to get clear and make Chakotay’s pickup.

The road was relatively straight and afforded little opportunity to shake the Phenylan posse, nevertheless this was something he knew more about than the peace loving Phenylan’s.

Paris first trick was to slow right down and fool them into thinking he was going to stop, before flooring the accelerator and speeding away again. The Phenylan’s fell for the rouse hook-line and sinker, as they did the next one.

Rounding a bend so he was out of sight of the car behind, Paris made a sharp U-turn then immediately zoomed back past them before they could realise what was happening. When the Phenylan’s tried to turn and follow, they miss judged the road and ran off into the hedgerow. The time it cost them, allowed Paris to pull ahead and unseen turn off the main road onto a dirt track that lead up into the foothills. The Phenylan’s upon finding an empty road ahead of them panicked and drove back into the city before realising they had given them the slip. By this time, it was impossible to tell when or where there prey had left the road.

The dirt track though wasn’t suitable for driving the hover car at top speed and it was night before Paris pulled off the dirt road into the shadow of a small property. It was little more than a 1floor shack yet although her windows were shuttered and dark; she looked inviting to the three hovercraft occupants.

“I’ll check it out, you activate the doctor.” Paris turned in his seat to get a better view of Janeway and the lifeless form of the senator. “That’s if we still need him?”

”He’s still alive if that’s what you’re asking.” Janeway replied, holding out her hand for the mobile emitter.

Paris retrieved it casting a thought as he did to weather the doctor would remember his abrupt shut down or indeed say anything if he did.

The triangular shaped piece of metal had absorbed Paris body heat and felt warm to touch. Enclosing her fingers around it, Janeway caressed the smooth shape, remembering as she did the moment Paris had put his uniform jacket around her shoulders on the balcony to keep her warm and shivered. Shaking her head and rationalising the shiver with Paris exiting the car she watched as he disappeared into the buildings shadows then shivered again.

He was only gone for a few minuets but Janeway still smiled upon his return. “Well?”

“It’s empty and I’ve managed to gain access at the rear.” Paris rubbed his shoulder indicating that he had used brute force to gain said entry then asked, “How is he doc?”

“Bleeding internally.” The EMH replied ducking back out of the hover car back seat area. “I need to operate is there any suitable equipment in the property?”

“There’s a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and lounge, that’s about as much as I can tell you.”

The doctor sighed heavily, a remarkable feat for something that didn’t breath

“Lets not argue out here its getting cold,” Janeway said defusing the tension building between the two men.

“Your right captain, Mr Paris lead the way.” The doctor graciously picked up the senator in his arms and carried him towards the building waiting only long enough for Paris to get ahead and direct him where to go.

Under the doctors guidance the ‘shack’s’ kitchen table was soon turned into an operating table. Knifes became scalpels, linen became bandages and the fishing thread Janeway found became a suture kit. The doctor worked quickly trying to stem the blood loss and repair the damage but as he and Paris lowered the injured man onto the shacks only bed he shook his head and declared he had done all he could.

Voyagers view screen light up with the vision of senator Harlow, decked out in gold robes and standing majestically before an alter to the guardians. He did not look happy.

“Commander of Voyager! Our children and old people are falling sick and it’s your captain’s fault.” Harlow spat the words at Chakotay. “Her meddling and refusal to leave has brought the wrath of the guardians on our people.”

“The sickness your people are suffering from is called radiation poisoning and it can easily be treated if…”

“I do not need to know the name of your federation disease.” Harlow was turning bright red with rage as he spoke. “Furthermore I will take care of it myself by exterminating the subversives that are spreading it among the good citizens of this city.”

“Whoa, wait a minuet, just what do you mean by ‘exterminating’?”

“I mean what I say Commander.” There was now menace in the senators voice. “You and your ship have no further business here, leave our space!”

“I am not going anywhere without my captain and lieutenant.” Chakotay responded calmly.

 “Your captain and Lieutenant are to be hunted down and punished to appease the guardians.” Harlow snarled and laughed. “So there is no reason for you to stay any longer.”

Chakotay stood, raising himself up to his full height and approached the view screen so that his face was all Harlow could see. “I can’t stop you from killing your own people, but if captain Janeway and Lieutenant Paris are harmed in any way I will personally come for you, guardians, or no guardians and I will make you scream for their forgiveness before I put you out of your misery.”

“Your threats don’t scare me.” Harlow looked less confident than he sounded. “However if your captain and her cohorts step forward before sunrise and accept the justice of the guardians, I will stop the exterminations.” He moved closer to the view screen pick up and grinned childishly. “Their lives are now in her hands.”

At this, Harlow cut the communication leaving Chakotay with a blank view screen.

“Harry, Seven, prep the Delta Flyer your going on a little trip.”

As night fell and the temperature with it, Paris assisted Janeway in lighting a fire then insisted she get some rest on what could only be described as the living rooms couch.

“You need to rest too; the doctor will watch the senator.”

“That’s not what concerns me right now.” Paris rubbed deep furrows from his forehead.

“What is it?” Janeway reached over from her seat on the couch to rest a hand on his knee.

“The blood samples the doc and I were getting from the children today indicated the possibility of some low level radiation poisoning. If our reading were correct, they should by now be showing symptoms. ”

“Don’t worry Tom I will make sure the sick are included in my plan.” She squeezed his knee gently then lay down on the couch.

“What plan would that be?”

“All will be explained in due course.” Janeway replied yawning. “Now get some rest.”

Paris sat back in his chair, and pulled the blanket he’d fetched around his shoulders, sleep didn’t come easily though and he was soon awoken again by the murmurs Janeway made as she slept. She was obviously having a nightmare and he watched unsure as to weather he should wake her. The decision though was soon taken from him.

Crying out in fear Janeway suddenly found herself awake sitting up and facing Paris. He was perched on the edge of the couch holding her arms firmly and calling out her name.

“Kathryn, Kathryn?” He said softly, watching as she regained consciousness. “Its ok you were just having a nightmare.”

 “OH Tom.” Kathryn flung her arms around Paris neck and sealed her lips over his before he could even think to object.

Objecting however was the last thing on his mind and upon feeling her body tremble against his, he tugged her closer to his body’s warmth and returned the embrace.

“That wasn’t meant to happen, was it?” Paris asked coming up for air and taking the opportunity to lower Kathryn back down onto the cushions.

“No.” Kathryn responded. “However I’ve a feeling that it will probably keep happening until we resolve this.”

Paris placed his hands either side of Kathryn’s body and held himself above her “What exactly is this?”

 “I was hoping you could tell me.” Came back Kathryn’s’ almost tearful reply. 

Tom smiled, “Kathryn,” He whispered with feeling, his piecing blue eyes reflecting the firelight. Kathryn heard her name and sleepily replied. “I like the way you say my name.”

“I shouldn’t. I should call you captain.”

“Sometimes when you say ‘captain’ I get the feeling that you want to say ‘Kathryn’.”

“It wouldn’t be proper for me to address you as such.”

“Yet I often call you by name.”

“That’s different.”

“Privilege of rank.”

“This isn’t about rank though.”

“No.” Kathryn closed her eyes and breathed the word more than said it.

“No!” Paris echoed but louder. “This is about the darkness that followed you out of that basement.”

True fear spread across Kathryn’s face as she opened her eyes wide and responded. “We could have been killed, crushed to death.”

“But we weren’t.” Paris tried to reassure her.

However, Kathryn just shook her head. “I’m not so sure. When I close my eyes I can still hear that awful sound, and I’m afraid to open them again just in case I’m dreaming all this.”

“If you were dreaming you wouldn’t be dead.”

“No, but dying, buried alive and slowly dying.”

“Now I know where your nightmares are coming from.”

“Then help me.” Kathryn pleaded softly.

“I’m not sure that I can.” Paris wasn’t even sure he had overcome the events himself let alone able to help someone else. “You need to talk with someone.”

Kathryn laughed. “I’m talking to you.”

Paris shook his head and bit his top lip. “I meant someone more…professional.”

“Oh right, well as soon as we get back to the Alpha quadrant I’ll be sure to make an appointment.”

“That’s not fair.” Paris pulled away, more disappointed than angry.

Realising what she had done Kathryn took his arms pulled him back down to her. “I’m sorry.”

“If you don’t feel that you can talk to the doctor there’s always Tuvox or Chakotay?”

“Chakotay asked me earlier today about what happened in the basement.”

“What did you tell him?” A small knot tightened inside Paris stomach.

“I tired to tell him how afraid I was, and how those fears were still with me, but I was interrupted.” Kathryn’s hands made small worry circles on his chest as she spoke.

“Perhaps you need to finish that conversation.” The knot squeezed tighter.

“I had meant too.” Kathryn’s hands stopped. “But now I’m not so sure.”

“Why not?” Tighter still.

Kathryn shook her head. “Because he wouldn’t understand.”

“You mean because he wasn’t there.” Reprieve. “I think you underestimate him.”

 “Perhaps.” Kathryn sighed deeply. “Though how can I be honest about my feelings without revealing what happened between us?”

Something inside Paris burst and a wave of relief spread through his body. “Then tell him, I did nothing I’m ashamed of.”

“You say that now, yet down in the basement you lied to Harry.”

“Yes, your right, that part I am ashamed of, but not kissing you, not holding you when it felt like the end, not comforting you in the dark when you were frightened, and I’m not ashamed of admitting I love you.” Paris moved down closer to Janeway.

“Then why would you be ashamed of making love to me.” Kathryn reached out and tenderly stroked Tom’s cheek. 

“I’m not.” Paris said defiantly. “When I said you deserved better than this, I meant better than me.”

“Nevertheless it’s you I want.” Kathryn sat up so that her face was inches from his. “I want you to make me feel alive again Tom, I want you to hold me and …and…don’t make me beg for a second time.”

A hundred and one scenarios of what could happen next flashed through Paris mind, along with the eventual consequences, yet none of them held him back from wrapping his arms around Kathryn and crushing his lips to hers. Neither did they prevent him from gently lowering her back on to the couch and covering her soft body with his firm torso.  

Voyagers EMH watched from the doorway as Paris manoeuvred Janeway out of sight but it was too late he had heard and seen. There had been a time shortly after he was first activated, that such an act would have sent him running across the room to split them up and demand what was going on. However he had learnt to bide his time were the ‘human’ crew were concerned and was on the verge of moving back into the bedroom when the combadge that was part of his positronic make up chirped.

The noise reached Janeway’s ears and realising that the doctor was in the room and probably within visual distance of them pushed Paris up and away, causing him to roll off onto the floor. Sitting up straight, she ran a hand self-consciously through her hair.

“Doctor?” Janeway said taking note that Paris was still lying on the floor where he had fallen.

The doctor had moved further into the room and tapping the combadge responded to Chakotays hail.

“Captain, I’m sorry but we are going to have to pick you up sooner than arranged.” Chakotay said over the link.

“What’s happening?” Janeway asked, indicating that the doctor should approach her.

“Harlow is going mad in his search for you; he plans to sacrifice you to the guardians.”

“Ok what’s your plan?”

“I’m sending Seven and Harry in the Delta Flyer to pick you up. You will need to get into a clearing so they can land...is that possible?”

“We should be ready by the time you get here, what about Harlow’s promise to kill people if you come near the planet.” Janeway asked, taking in the concerned look on Paris face as he sat on the couch beside her.

“I’m hoping we can get in under darkness but….” Chakotays voice wavered. “Is the senator alive and with you?”

“He’s alive however unconscious at this time.” The doctor answered for Janeway.

“Then it’s safe for me to tell you that Harlow has already begun killing people, he’s slaughtering the subversive that are ill from the radiation saying that they are contaminating the others.” Chakotay didn’t even hesitate over not telling her about Harlow’s promise to stop the killing if she stepped up; after all, it was not even a consideration in any of his plans.

“Get here as fast as you can, Janeway out.”

Paris stood to allow Janeway room to do likewise. “At least Harry’s ok.” He said but Janeway’s face was etched in pain for the people Harlow had killed and was most likely still killing.

Resting a hand on his arm, she managed a brief smile then turned to the doctor. “I know it’s probably not wise but I need you to carry the senator.”

“Moving him could kill him.” The doctor reminded Janeway.

“Acknowledged.” Janeway sighed. “Hopefully we won’t have to go far.” Now she turned back to Paris. “Any idea how far Tom?”

“There was a clearing about half a kilometre back down the road, some kind of picnic area.” Paris answered.

“I’d rather go up, but it will have to do.”

 

The ‘picnic area’ was roughly the size of baseball diamond. One side was fenced off but other wise open to the dirt roadway the other three were edged snugly by trees and shrub. The only light came from the full moon but it was too bright for Janeway.

“I don’t like this, were too exposed.”  

Paris had parked the hover car under the shadow of the trees but once they stepped out, they would in the glare of the moonlight.

“I wish we could contact the Delta Flyer for an eta.” Paris also wished he could reach over and kiss her again, but figured the doctor wouldn’t approve.

“We daren’t risk it Harlow‘s probably got an idea of our location from Chakotay’s signal earlier, any contact now would certainly reveal our position.”

 Muffled moans from the rear seat drew Janeways attention to the doctor and senator Remington

“How is he?”

“Bleeding internally again if Harry and seven don’t get here soon, I’m afraid he won’t stand a chance.”

“We will give them another 10 minuets then…” Janeways head twisted sideways as her eyes caught the glare of headlights on the road.

Two vehicles past them and moved on up the mountain track

“They will be back and soon.”

“Excuse me doctor.” Paris reached behind him and pressed the doctor’s communicator. “Paris to Delta Flyer, Harry where the hell are you?”

The communicator fizzled and Paris hand hovered over it ready to try the transmission again, but he didn’t need to seconds later it chirped back and Harry’s voice replaced the static.

“Tom, I’m over your location now, any chance of a visual reference?”

“Hang on Harry.” Swinging back round in his seat Paris triggered the hover car’s lights then driving it out into the centre of the clearing, opened all the doors. “How’s that Harry?”

“5 by 5, coming in hot.” Harry Kim replied.

“He’s been watching too many 20th century movies with you.” Commented Janeway, wagging her mom finger at Paris.

Paris smiled he found her the most adoring when she played mother to them, there was something hinky in that but he didn’t care.

“We’ve got company.” The doctor called from the rear seat.

Janeway turned just in time to see Harlow and his men crash through the roadways dividing fence and head straight for them. “Let’s go.”

If Janeway felt exposed in the hover car, she felt naked standing beside it in the full glare of the lights. However no sooner had they gathered behind it than the Delta Flyer appeared above of them, with Seven of Nine riding shotgun on the open exit ramp.

Upon witnessing their, imminent escape Harlow ordered his men to open fire with the phasers he had stolen from voyager’s crew, unfortunately at least for Harlow he hadn’t had time to train his men on the weapons and their shots fell way of target.

Nevertheless pushing Janeway towards the ramp Paris shouted. “Seven, I need a weapon?”

Seven had come prepared and tossed him a rifle from the delta flyers armoury, which he deftly caught and turned on the Phenylan’s, providing the necessary cover for the doctor, carrying the senator, to follow Janeway.

“You don’t get away that easily.” Harlow called from behind his men.

“Want to bet.” Seven yelled back in response as she leapt from the Delta flyer on to the hover cars roof and let off two volleys at Harlow’s vehicles. The cars exploded sending the Phenylan men scattering for cover and Harlow diving into the dirt.

Aiming his rifle at the ground in front of the self-imposed dictator Paris pinned him to the floor, before forcing him to crawl backwards in the mud.

Reappearing at the flyers entrance Janeway called out. “If your coming move it.”

Hearing the Delta flyers engines power up, Paris barrelled up the ramp, but Seven didn’t leap for it until Harry was several feet off the ground. All the time she kept firing at the scattered terrified Phenylans.

Once in the air Janeway joined the doctor in the flyers passenger section. He already had the senator hooked up to the medical equipment but his readings did not look good even to her untrained eyes.

“I’ve got him stabilised.” The doctor said anticipating her unspoken question. “I’m going to need to operate as soon as we get back to Voyager.”

“Does that mean he will make it?” Janeway asked any way.

“Most probably.” The doctor answered uncommittedly.

Up on the flight deck Paris joined Harry.

“Sensors are fuzzy from the radiation but I’m sure we’ve picked up a tail.”

A persecution blast rocked the delta Flyer, throwing Paris into the jump seat beside Harry.

“I think your right.” Paris commented casually.

“It’s a small atmospheric jet.” Seven confirmed. “Once we reach altitude it won’t be able to follow, not worth wasting fire power on”

“We could try a couple of shots just for the hell of it.” Janeway said re-entering the flight deck and joining Paris and Harry.

As she stood between the two men, another rocket exploded against the ships shields, giving her cause to grab the back of the pilot chair. She thought about suggesting Harry swap seats with Paris but that would not have been fair to the ensign who despite his experience was doing a dam good job.

“Seven two torpedoes either side of his wings, fire! Harry take us to warp, I’m ready to go home.”

“Aye captain.” Seven and Harry responded together, and as the two torpedoes knocked the Phenylans jet out of the sky Harry fired up the Delta Flyer and streaked out of the planets atmosphere into the ink black of space. Ten minuets later, they were rounding the dark side of the Phenylans moon and approaching Voyagers rear hanger bay.

 

As soon as they were on board Seven beamed the doctor and his patient straight to sickbay, Janeway went in search of Chakotay and Belanna and Harry returned to the bridge leaving Paris and Seven to join the doctor on foot.

“Good you’re here.” The doctor greeted them upon arrival. “Seven I’m going to need some nanites preparing, Paris I need you to monitor the senator’s life signs this is going to be tricky the knife has nicked his spinal cord and he’s leaking fluid.”

Paris was almost dead on his own feet but after exchanging glances with Seven set to work.

 

Two hours later the doctor sealed the skin on his patients back checked the monitors then stepped away from the operating table and sighed. “I believe the senator will live.” He announced,

“Excellent.” Seven said. “Belanna requires my presence in the hanger bay, call me if I am needed further.”

Paris watched her leave and began running through scenarios of how he could escape himself. ‘I’m tired and hungry’ were the truth but as the doctor had beds and a replicator it would have to be something a little more inventive.

“If you don’t need me any more I will…”

“I know you are eager to leave my presence.” The doctor said positioning himself between Paris and the door. “However before you do, I feel I must warn you of the dire implications of becoming sexually involved with captain Janeway.”

Paris resisted taking a swing at the positronic being before him, as he knew full well it would be a futile gesture. However it was several seconds before he realised he was holding his breath in anger and a few more before he could release it slowly. His compose re-gathered, Paris Looked directly at the doctor and asked calmly.

“Who the hell do you think you are telling me what I can and can’t do?”

“As chief medical officer on this ship I am your superior and therefore can…”

Paris didn’t let him finish his speech. “Your nothing but a collection of electrons that I could delete in a heart beat and have no regrets about it tomorrow.”

“I do not doubt that for one second.” The doctor said unperturbed. “But if you sleep with the captain you will regret it.”

“Is that some kind of threat.” Paris took a step closer to the doctor.

“No! An observation.” The doctor replied with a smart-alecky grin on his face.

“Then observe this.” Paris snatched the doctor’s holo emitter of his arm, then as he fizzled out of existence tossed it vigorously across sickbay.

Seconds later the doctor reappeared minus his emitter behind Paris.

“Your anger is misplaced. I only wished to warn you of the consequences of becoming involved with your captain.” This time when he spoke the doctor sounded offended.

“You’re too late for that, if you remember we became involved some time ago.” Paris said swinging around to face the holo programme. “The fact that she would wish to increase our involvement to higher level is none of your business.”

“Are you saying you do not wish to have a sexual relationship with the captain?” A glimmer of hope crossed the doctor’s circuits.

“I said what we do is none of your concern.” Paris turned as to leave but the doctor’s next question stopped him half way.

“Do you love her?”

“More than my heart can bear some days.” Paris replied without evening having to think about the words.

“Then don’t do it.” The doctor rested a friendly hand on Paris shoulder but he shook it off.

“I’m only human doc and a man at that.” Paris walked out of sickbay, leaving the doctor to locate his holo emitter alone.

He knew she was alone and awake yet it was only upon the third attempt that he let the pressure of his finger rest heavily enough on the door chime to activate it.

“Who is it?” Her voice called over the intercom.

He hesitated, mumbled then clearing his throat replied. “Paris.”

“Tom!” Janeway said to herself but loud enough for the intercom speaker to pickup.

“I know I shouldn’t be here.” Paris said leaning against the door jam. “But I……”

The metal door slide sideways and the light from the corridor spilled into the dark room, picking out the flotsam and jetsam within.

“Its ok, I’m glad you came.” Her voice was soft and tinged with sleep.

“Kathryn.” Paris whispered as he stood on the threshold and temporarily blocked the light, a step later he was inside, and the door was sliding shut behind him cutting it off completely.

Now in the dark room he could only make out the stars and moon beyond her window, yet he knew where she was from her breathing and the soft rustle of her silk dressing gown. Moving towards the sounds, he took her in his arms and waited for his eyes to adjust to the light. Yet even before her face came into focus, he raised a hand to trace its contours.

“I though you were afraid of the dark?”

“I’m never afraid when you’re near.” Kathryn’s voice trembled slightly betraying her.

“One moment in the dark, that’s all it can be.” Paris swallowed hard and blink back the tears that threatened to overwhelm him.

“One moment.” Kathryn repeated. “One moment to live, one moment to love, one moment to die. That’s all we can ever ask.” Then raising her mouth to meet Toms she kissed him, as they kissed Kathryn heard a sound. At first, it was faint like a drum in the distance then it become louder, beating faster, booming in her ears, thumbing inside her chest. Suddenly she realised it was the sound her own heartbeat, she was alive!

Kathryn’s moment came sometime later in a rapture that burned her soul and made the room spin with a million tiny colourful stars.

“Captain Janeway.” The senator greeted Janeway by shaking her hand, something he had become accustomed to since first meeting the Federation, Voyager’s.

“Please senator.” Janeway shook the mans hand gently remembering he had just come from sickbay. “I think you have earned the right to call me Kathryn in private.”

“Kathryn it is then and you may call me Powel.”

“Very well Powel.” Janeway said smiling warmly and trying to put the man at ease. “would you care to sit down?”

The senator took a perch on the seat beside Janeway, behind him, the window depicted Phenylan’s, moon and if you looked closely you could make out the Guardian defence system on its surface.

“What is happening on my planet?” The deposed man asked.

“Its not good, Harlow has rounded up groups of what he calls subversives and is currently holding them in various areas in Pernode city and the surrounding county’s, while he excerpts his power over the senate and local governing bodies.” Janeway shifted in her seat, she wasn’t sure how the senator would react to what she was about to tell him next. “Also, as my doctor suspected earlier today, some of your people, especially the young and older ones are beginning to suffer from a form of radiation sickness.”

“Radiation sickness.” The senator had heard of such stuff and knew it to be dangerous even life threatening.

“It fell with the meteors, Unfortunately Harlow is using it as some kind of omen, punishment if you like from the guardians for allowing us to come to Phenylan, and proof that he was right too throw us off.”

“Perfect, just perfect, he spouts fire and damnation, because the populace are abandoning the guardians and the old beliefs in favour of the new ways and low and behold the guardians fail, the sky rocks fall and a plague literally descends on the weak. Its just all worked out perfect for him.”

“Powel.” Janeway used the man’s first name in an effort to calm him down. “I must tell you something, I believe that Harlow has been planning this ‘senate revolt’ for some time. He was too well organised when it came to extracting my crew and rounding up the subversives.”

“In hindsight and reading between the lines I have come to the same conclusion. The question my dear Kathryn is what are we going to do?”

“I’m glad you said we, because you’re going to play a huge role in saving your people and regaining power of the senate.”

“Me?”

“It’s quite simple my chief engineer has repaired the guardian’s shuttle….”

“…The one that was sent to bring them home after switching on the defence system?”

“The very same, it wasn’t too badly damaged. In fact, she suspects its fuel cells were sabotaged causing them to loose power once they got on the moons dark side.”

“Someone all those years ago didn’t want them to complete their mission.”

“A mission you are going to complete.” Janeway sat up straight with the excitement of what she was going to reveal to the senator. “When dawn rises on the city of Pernode you will fly the guardian ship over her ruins, announcing the truth for all too see. At the same time, you will release a Hyronalin vapour into the atmosphere. It’s a powerful anti-radiation drug that will quickly enter the blood stream of anyone breathing, ingesting, or absorbing it.”

“If I do this I will be seen as the people’s saviour and Harlow will be no more. I will be able to usurp his power over the senate and free them.” Senator Powel Rimington suddenly realised the enormity of what Janeway had planned for him, a humble ‘Third Protocol Senator’.

“You may not find the transition so smooth.” Janeway said as a warning. “You will have to be careful that the violence among the Phenylan’s does not swing the other way, from non-believers to believers.”

“That could be difficult; there will be bad feeling among Harlow’s victims.”

“But not impossible for someone as eloquently spoken as yourself.” I little flattery was needed to boost the senator’s confidence. “I would suggest you mention Voyager and her crew as little as possible.”

“Yes, yes you are right of course.” The senator was lost in thought for several moments. “I will need to tap into the media system of my people to broadcast my message from the shuttle.”

“That’s no problem.”

“I will also need to learn how to fly the guardian’s shuttle, unless of course you are going to lend me your pilot, Mr Paris.”

“I don’t think that would be a good idea.” Janeway’s mind flashed for a second to the memory of Paris and their few hours of pleasure. “However my engineering department is working on a way to fly the shuttle via remote from Voyager.”

“Wouldn’t that be cheating?” The senator smiled the thought of returning at the controls of the infamous guardian ship, warmed him from his toes to hair roots.

“Once you are safely on the ground you will be on your own.”

“You will not return to assist.”

“No. we have caused your planet enough harm.”

“What if something goes wrong? What if the guardian system fails again?”

“I have faith in you Powel, and it won’t take long for your science people to work out how to power and fly the guardian shuttle so don’t be concerned about that. Anyway the shield my engineer has installed will protect the guardians for many years to come.”

“Then this is goodbye.”

“I wish we could have stayed longer, and under better circumstances but it was not to be.”

“Do not go away with a heavy heart, In the last two days you have saved me, my people, and my planet. What more could we have asked or expected from our first Star Trekkers?”

 

Voyager’s bridge crew fell silent as Lieutenant Leon Mason’s combadge wrapped in a federation flag, was jettisoned out into space. The combadge was all that remained of the heroic Starfleet officer and the flag was a symbol of what he’d lived and died for.

As Janeway watched the triangular folded cloth tumble across the vast void before them, her own words came back to her.

One moment to live, one moment to love, one moment to die.

The End