Lieutenant Thomas Eugene Paris didn’t hear the shot that fired the projectile or see it coming, but he felt the searing pain as it exploded in his left eye.

Collapsing to his knees, Paris put his hands up to his injured face and screamed. Scarlet blood seeped through his trembling fingers and splattered onto the mosaic floor. Around him people stopped what they were doing and stared, while unseen one man ducked for cover and another scurried away.

Captain Kathryn Janeway heard the screams from across the far side of the busy market place, and instantly recognized them as coming from her lieutenant. Breaking her stride into a flat out run Janeway elbowed and excused her way into the centre of the gathering crowd. She had expected something but not the sight before her. Tom Paris her trusted con officer and friend, was kneeling on the ground holding his bloody face and screaming in agony.

To Janeways astonishment not one of the voyeurs were doing anything to help him. Not even the governor Paris had been in company of, who was conspicuous by his absence.

Janeway knelt before Paris and taking hold of his blood slicked wrists tried to pull Paris hands away from his face. “Tom let me see,” Paris resisted, crying out in pain. “Please Tom,” begged Janeway. Some how her voice cut through his screams and Paris allowed Janeway to lower his hands. As he did she got a view of the gaping hole where his eye used to be.

Paris started shaking violently, and when Janeway looked at the gory debris that lay within his palm she knew why. Reacting instinctively Janeway slapped her bloodied hand to her combadge and ordered an emergency beam up to Voyagers sickbay.

As soon as she materialized in sickbay Janeway summoned the doctor. He phased into life in his office but upon seeing Paris moved swiftly to Janeways side.

“What happened,” the EMH asked, assisting Janeway in getting Paris onto the main diagnostic bed.

Thankfully Paris had stopped screaming in favour of moaning softly, delirious from the pain, allowing Janeway to inform the doctor as to what had transpired.

“A projectile?” questioned the doctor, running a medical scanner over Paris.

“From what I could make out yes,” answered Janeway, before turning away from the doctor to use her blood-smeared combadge, “Janeway to engineering, Belanna please report to sickbay.”

“Why I’m not sick?” Belanna’s voice came back muffled. Unbeknown to Janeway she was beneath a console attempting to repair it.

Janeway was about to explain further when the doctor did something to make Paris scream. The scream carried over Janeways open combadge link straight into Belanna’s ears.

“Tom!” Belanna scuttled out from under the console leaped to her feet and bolted out of engineering.

Back in Voyagers sickbay Paris was trying to fend of the doctor and keep a hand over his injured eye at the same time.

“Keep still Tom, you’ll only course yourself more pain,” the doctor snapped, he was trying to find purchase for his hypo spray and failed. “Mr Paris if you don’t keep still I will be forced to restrain you.” Looking to Janeway for help the doctor commented, “This is why I prefer my patients unconscious.”

Taking pity on the struggling doctor and seeing that Paris was becoming distraught, Janeway stepped up to the medical bed took hold of his wrists and forced his arms down to his chest. Seeing his chance the doctor quickly administered his hypo spray of painkillers.

“Look at me Tom.” Janeway said calmly, “Focus on my face.”

Paris tried to focus with his remaining eye, but found the bloodstained image of Janeway too frightening. “Help me.” Paris heard himself say, the words trembling off his lips as he coughed up a stomach’s worth of blood over the side of the bed.

“Doctor!” Janeway yelled, concerned.

“I’m setting up a transfusion now.” The EMH deftly activated the bio beds surgical shell while at the same time fixing a cortical monitor to Paris head. “I’ll have to operate,” the doctor said, shaking his head at Paris monitor readout.

“Will you be able to save my eye?” Paris asked, unaware of the extent of the damage.

The doctor looked to Janeway, who nodded her affirmative before responding honestly to Paris.

“Tom you eye is gone. You had the remains of it in your hand when you came in here.”

“No……Nooooo….” Paris screamed struggling against Janeway’s restraint.

“Doctor sedate him.”

As the doctor prepared the sedative Paris pleaded to Janeway, “I need my eye.”

Janeway shook her head at Paris, unable to find the words to console him.

Behind them the sickbay doors opened and Belanna barrelled into the room. But one look at Paris brought her to a sudden halt. “Oh my god,” she gasped.

Paris on hearing Belanna tried to sit up and reach out for her, “Belanna help me!” he called franticly.

Whilst Paris was distracted the doctor pressed home his hypo-spray. The sedative acted fast, giving Janeway just enough time to catch Paris head as he dropped. Gently she rested it down onto the cushion and stepped away from the diagnostic bed, allowing the doctor to get on with his job.

“Seven of Nine report to sickbay please,” ordered the doctor over Voyagers communication system.

“I’m on my way doctor,” replied Seven not even asking why she was required.

Realizing no one else knew what was going on, Janeway tapped her combadge again, noticing for the first time the blood smears. “Janeway to Chakotay cancel all R and R, recall our crew down on the planet immediately. I’ll explain when I join you on the bridge shortly. Janeway out.”

Crossing sickbay to join a still shocked, Torres Janeway held out her arms to the half Klingon engineer and guided her to a seat.

“What…what happened?”

“I’m not sure, I wasn’t with Tom when this occurred. But it would appear that he was shot with some kind of mini exploding projectile.’

“Why?”

“I don’t know that either but I intend to find out.” As Janeway spoke Chakotay’s voice over the ship communications called her immediately back to the bridge. “I have to go.” Janeway said, squeezing Belanna's shoulder reassuringly, then took one last look at Paris bloody face before leaving.

Belanna mesmerized stood up again, “Can you help him?” she asked the doctor.

“I need to remove the fragments of the projectile, stop the bleeding, clean up the wound and do some tissue regeneration before I can say for sure,” answered the doctor. “I’ll be able to tell you more in about 2 hours.”

Belanna cautiously moved to Paris side, then brushing the hair away from his forehead she bent down and kissed his tear stained cheek. “See you in two hours Tom.”

“Your welcome to stay if you wish lieutenant,” the doctor whispered in Belanna's ear as he passed behind her. Normally he wouldn’t have anyone watching him while he operated but he knew how much Belanna cared for Paris and what she would do to his programming if anything should happen to him.

“No thank you doctor, I’m needed in engineering,” (must keep busy) thought Belanna. “Call me as soon as your done,” Belanna left sickbay almost as fast as she had entered.

No sooner had the doors closed than they hissed open again to allow Seven of Nine to enter.

“You summoned me doctor.”

“Seven good, I’ll require your assistance I’m afraid.” Said the doctor acknowledging her presence before disappearing into his office for something.

Seven approached the diagnostic bed and examined Paris injury. “Most unfortunate,” she commented.

Janeway entered Voyagers bridge and crossed to the centre conscious off an anxious Harry Kim waiting at opps and an angry commander seated behind her. Word had reached both their ears about the attack on Tom Paris before she could reach the bridge.

“Regent Rache.” Janeway called out, addressing the face on her view screen and the source of the information.

“Ah! Captain Janeway,” greeted the regent with a soft soaped voice, “I heard what happened to your crew man, I hope he is ok?”

“He is most certainly not ok,” (keep your cool Kathryn) Janeway told herself.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” placated the regent, “I hope this doesn’t alter our trade agreements?”

“There will be no trade, I’ve pulled my people out.” Janeway turned to Chakotay briefly to confirm her previous order was being carried out.

“There is no need for that captain, I can reassure you your man wasn’t the intended victim.” The insincerity in the Regents voice was beginning to grate on Janeways nerves.

“Oh, and how can you be so sure?”

Regent Rache glanced at someone off the screen before answering. “Because the shot was meant for governor Denange. He has been receiving death threats from a rebel force calling them selves the ‘Democrats’. Your people are perfectly safe.”

“I strongly disagree with you Regent my people could easily become intended targets and you should have informed me of these rebels before we opened trade negotiations.”

“It wasn’t necessary these rebels pose no danger.” Regent Rache’s voice was losing some of its flannel and his face was turning purple.

Janeway was also losing her cool. “Try telling that to my lieutenant.”

“I have already made my apology captain,” spat back the regent.

“Then try justice, what are the chances of you catching this would be assassin?”

“Well that is another matter entirely, one which we shall be dealing with our selves.”

The regent’s voice had gone very surly and Janeway knew she would get nowhere fast with this self imposed dictator. Retreat and discretion were her best course of action now.

“All crew safe and accounted for captain,” reported Chakotay.

Janeway glanced back at Chakotay and nodded her acknowledgement. “If that’s your attitude regent Rache we will be leaving and taking our business else where. It’s not our policy to get involved with planetary politics and battles.” Janeway turned her back on the regent and took her command seat next to Chakotay.

“Wait a moment captain, please,” the regent’s voice returned to its codling tone, hoping to win Janeway back and her business.

But Janeway wasn’t interested, her mind was on Tom Paris in sickbay and the lies she had been fed since entering the Panosian system. “Cut the communication Mr Kim,” she ordered coldly.

With the regent gone, Chakotay was free to ask what everyone wanted to know, “How is Tom?”

Janeway shook her head, “Not good, the doctor and seven are operating on Him now.”

Will he loose his eye?” asked Harry Kim, bluntly but concerned for his friend.

Janeway stood and faced Kim, “I’m sorry Harry but Tom’s eye is gone, destroyed by what ever hit him. He’ll be lucky if he can still see out of the other one.”

Harry’s head dropped and he thumped the console in front of him. A sentiment Janeway and most of Voyagers crew shared.

Chakotay joined Janeway and rested his hand on her shoulder to signal he was there for her. Briefly Janeway let her cheek brush against Chakotays hand, finding a remnant of comfort in the warmth. But her mind flashed back to the remains of Paris eye on the palm of his hand and the blood stains on her uniform.

“I have to change, excuse me.”

Chakotay watched Janeway leave, he knew what had happened to Paris was really bothering her, what he didn’t know was just how upset she was.

Two hours later sporting a clean uniform Janeway returned to Voyagers sickbay. Paris was awake sitting up on the diagnostic bed, his left eye socket was covered with a fresh bandage. Belanna had returned also and was glued to his right hand side. The white of her knuckles showed where she gripped Paris hand tight.

“Well doctor what’s the verdict?” Janeway asked.

“Not good captain,” answered the doctor, standing at the foot of Paris bed. “I’ve been able to secure the sight in Mr Paris right eye but as I suspected earlier there was nothing I could do for the left. Under normal circumstances I would just clone you a new eye, but in your case the severity of the damage to your optical nerve is too much to make a transplant viable.”

Janeway watched as the fear in Paris remaining eye caused his pupil to expand. “Is there absolutely nothing you can do doctor?” She asked stepping closer to Paris. She could see how much distress Tom was in and wanted with all her heart to reach out and comfort him. But as his captain she had to hold back, anyway Belanna was with him.

“There is something we could try,” said Seven from behind the doctor.

Janeway looked quizzically at Seven, while Belanna eyed her distrustfully.

“Something?” Paris asked nervously.

“Yes, when a Borg looses a limb in the line of duty, it is replaced with a prosthetic. Sometimes the replacement doesn’t always function fully when attached, so nanites specially programmed to repair and build new nerves are injected into the Borg's system. Within a week the limb would be fully functional.”

“Interesting, but how would that apply to me?” asked Paris, “I am not a Borg.”

Seven didn’t take the comment personally in her answer to Paris question, “In your case Mr Paris the doctor could use a scald down version of my old Borg eye to replace your missing one. While at the same time injecting you with reprogrammed nanites from me to help build you a new optical nerve stem. Given enough time they would connect the new nerve to the Borg eye implant.”

“And then what?” asked Paris, his voice was angry and bitter, “I spend the rest of my life with half a Borg face, forget it!”

“No Tom, once the nanites have done their job I would remove the Borg eye piece and replace it with a new cloned one,” explained the doctor.

“Can’t you just use the nanites on their own?” enquired Belanna, not convinced that the ‘borg eye’ idea was a good one.

“No they would just get confused if there was no Borg technology for them to work towards,” said Seven, “The Borg implant would be only temporary a week at best.”

“How confident are you that this would work?” Janeway asked.

“I couldn’t say, this has never been done before,” answered the doctor, “Seven assures me it has a good chance of success.”

“I believe this could work captain, or I would not have suggested it,” said Seven, backing up the doctor.

“Tom it’s your choice,” Janeway moved closer to Paris, resting a hand on his shoulder. “I won’t force you into this.”

“Some choice, its this or a stylish eye patch.” Paris scanned the sober faces around his bed, “A week you say?”

“7 to 10 days I can’t be more accurate I’m afraid,” said the doctor.

“What if it doesn’t work, what then?” asked Paris, still unsure.

“I don’t know,” the doctor replied honestly.

“There is something else you should consider in making your decision Tom,” said Janeway. “I can’t let you pilot Voyager with one eye.”

“Why did I know you were going to say that,” responded Paris bitterly.

“Tom you don’t have to fly,” said Belanna, looking daggers at Seven. She didn’t want Tom to have anything to do with the whole scheme, but she wanted him to make up his own mind.

“Yes I do Belanna,” said Paris, “I don’t like the idea of this one little bit, but if it’s my only chance then I guess I’ll have to take it.”

“Your in safe hands,” said the doctor with a broad ghoulish smile on his face.

The operation seemed to go well. Paris recovered quickly and the Borg implant eye only covered a small portion of the left hand side of his face. Never the less Paris felt like the lead out of the play, ‘Phantom of the opera.’ The reaction he got from his fellow crew and friends didn’t help either. Captain Janeway had only dropped by sickbay once to see if he was ok, Belanna was deliberately avoiding him, Harry Kim had been polite but busy and Neelix had levitated three feet after bumping into him in a darkened mess hall. Even Seven seemed repulsed by the site of Paris walking around modelling her old Borg eye. (Too many bad memories) for her thought Paris, but he had expected better from her considering.

And to top it all Paris had started having nightmares in which he had been assimilated, and was chasing Belanna down Voyagers corridors trying to kill her.

Paris awoke in the dark to sounds of his own screams. “Lights!” The lights came on full and a little too bright for Paris sleepy eye. He had to shade it from the glare as he threw back the bed covers and made his way to the bathroom mirror. Except for his left eye Paris was relieved to see he was still human.

The hour was early and Paris had no wish to return to sleep, so he dressed quickly and left the confines of his quarters in favour of Voyagers corridors. An hour later Paris was still wandering up and down Voyagers dim hallways. His mind was full of bad dreams, what ifs, whys. Finding himself at one of the observation windows along the ships side Paris stopped and watched the stars go past. From the speed he judged the old girl to be zooming along at warp 5.

Tom Paris wasn’t the only Voyager person took to walking her corridors when their mind was troubled Captain Janeway found sleep impossible, after leaving Panosia early with only half the supplies they needed she was concerned as to how they would cope over the next few months. Restless feet along with a restless mind had taken her on a walk about, thinly disguised as a routine cheek.

Janeway rounded the bulkhead on deck six, where she knew there was an observation window, and found Tom Paris. He was alone, standing with his back to her, his Borg implant reflected perfectly in the window

She knew he hadn’t heard her approach and for a moment she thought about backing up quietly and leaving him there lost in his own thoughts. But something told her to keep walking, probably the distraught expression she could see mirrored in the glass.

“Tom,” Janeway called as she moved closer.

Startled by her sudden appearance Paris jerked away from Janeway and turned to hide his face from view. “Captain,” Paris responded to her call. He could hear her approaching him with the same steady pace that he hears behind him when he’s at Voyagers helm. Those footsteps were usually comforting but right now Paris wished they would go away.

“Are you ok?” Janeway asked.

“I was just out for a walk, I didn’t think anyone would be about at this time.”

Paris didn’t turn to look at Janeway and she suddenly realized the meaning of his words. “Your not a freak Tom, you don’t have to hide in your quarters or roam Voyagers corridors in the early hours so no one can see you.”

“Try telling Belanna that, she wont even look at me, let alone touch me. She has spent the last 3 days in engineering to avoid me.”

Janeway rested a hand on Paris arm, and felt his muscles stiffen in response. He was still facing sideways concealing his Borg eye from her. “I’m sorry Tom I didn’t know things were so bad.” Janeway circled around Paris until she was standing in front of him but Paris twisted his face away from her again. “You don’t have to hide your face from me, I’m not afraid of you.”

“Harry is, so is little Naomi. She took one look at me and ran off screaming.”

“Harry should know better, but Naomi is only 4 years old, you can’t blame her.”

“I don’t its just…………Ahh!” Paris clasped a hand to his Borg eye and screamed out in pain.

“Tom what’s wrong?”

“Phantom pains form my missing eye,” said Paris through gritted teeth.” The doctor said I would probably get them.” Sharp stabbing pains ran through Paris head, doubling him over from agony.

“I’ll get the doctor.”

“No!” said Paris, grabbing Janeways hand before she could tap her combadge, “I’ll be ok in a moment.”

Janeway kept hold of Paris hand clutched it to her chest. Wanting so much to do something to help, she stroked the back of his head, hoping to comfort him while the pain ebbed.

Once the pain had passed Paris straightened up but kept one hand over his face, concealing the Borg eye.

“Tom?”

“I’m ok,” whispered Paris, detangling himself from Janeways grasp, conscious of brushing the warm swell of her breasts as he did.

But Janeway paid no attention to the touch; she was more worried about Paris discomfort, physical and mental. “Has the pain gone?” Janeway asked, raising her hand to Paris cheek, meaning to remove the hand that still covered his eye, but Paris knocked her hand away.

“Hey!” exclaimed Janeway, angrily.

Knowing he had gone too far Paris, berated, dropped his gaze and allowed Janeway to run her hand over his shoulder, up his neck on to his cheek, then under his own hand to rest on the Borg implant. Her hand felt cool on his scarlet face and Paris found the touch sensuous; yet a little scary at the same time.

“Your no monster.”

Paris managed a brief smile, while finally meeting Janeways eyes; he could see the concern for him in them. “What happens if this doesn’t work? I wont be any use to you as a pilot with one eye.”

“Your worth as an officer on this ship is not measured in how well you fly Voyager. You posses many other quality’s that have saved our lives on numerous occasions.”

“Maybe that’s true but if I can’t fly, I’d rather be dead!”

Janeways slap echoed off the corridor walls and when she with drew her hand there was a red imprint on Paris cheek. “Don’t you ever let me hear you say that again!” Janeway spoke with such vehemence she shook.

Paris held his cheek as it throbbed against his palm. It stung like hell but he suspected Janeways hand hurt just as much. Dumb struck as to how to respond Paris was more than relived when Janeways combadge chirped and Chakotay called her to the bridge. “On my way,” Janeway turned to leave then spun back around again fast, her heel squeaking on the floor, “How do you know you can’t fly with one eye, have you tried?”

Spinning back around again Janeway walked away, leaving Paris alone with his reflection, a sore cheek and an idea.

Janeway had dealt with Chakotays emergency (a small protocol only she had the security commands to deal with) then returned to her quarters. The idea was to sleep but Tom Paris kept popping into her head.

She was seriously worried about him and the eye business. Janeway rose once from her bed to check Starfleet recommendations on disabled crew, each referred to light duty’s and a transfer back to the nearest medical facility. The only Starfleet medical facility she had at her disposal was Voyagers sickbay, as for light duty’s they would have Paris climbing the walls within a week.

When Janeways alarm call sounded the next morning she rolled out of her bed feeling worse than when she had got into it. But one sonic shower, a clean uniform and a replicated cup of coffee later and Janeway entered Voyagers bridge with a smile on her face and a bounce in her step.

She’d had every intention of heading straight for her ready room and catching a cap-nap until Tuvox called too her.

“Captain someone has entered shuttle bay 2 and is powering up the Delta Flyer.”

“Someone Tuvox?” enquired Janeway, stopping at the tactical station.

“Lieutenant Paris Captain. Shall I have security stop him?”

“No that won’t be necessary,” said Janeway joining a tied looking Chakotay in front of her command chair.

“I could beam him straight out Captain,” offered Ensign Kim.

“No don’t do that either,” replied Janeway, “I think I know what Mr Paris is up to. I’ll deal with this.”

“The matter is all yours,” said Chakotay holding his hands up.

“Captain to Lieutenant Paris,” Janeway called over Voyagers communications, “Mr Paris please respond.”

Paris responded but not verbally.

“Lieutenant Paris has cut communications and opened the shuttle bay doors,” said Tuvox.

“What’s he trying to do he can’t fly the Delta Flyer with one eye!” exclaimed Chakotay, “Can he?”

“Well, we will find out soon won’t we,” Janeway pushed a stray strand of hair away from her face and sighed. “Ok Tuvox beam me on to the Delta Flyer.”

“Are you sure you wont to do that Captain?” asked Tuvox. “What if he is dangerous?”

“Tom Paris?” challenged Janeway stopping half way to the turbo lift and looking back at Tuvox. Tuvox raised both of his eyebrows but didn’t say a word.

“Ok, ok, I’ll take a phaser, happy.”

Tuvox glanced at Chakotay who was still standing in the centre of Voyagers bridge, then nodded towards Janeway.

Satisfied her officers were happy to let her leave Janeway stepped into the turbo lift.

After the turbo lift doors had closed Chakotay turned his attention to Tuvox. “Do me a favour once you’ve transported the captain keep a lock on her and if Mr Paris does anything remotely stupid beam her back.”

“Aye sir.”

Janeway beamed onto the Delta Flyer just as Paris was finishing his preliminary checks.

“If you’re here to talk me out of this don’t bother my mind’s made up,” said Paris without turning around.

“No I’m here for the ride, after all someone has to evaluate your performance.” Janeway took the jump seat beside Paris. “You know when I challenged you to find out if you could fly half blind I meant on the holodeck.”

“On the holodeck if I make a mistake, it wont kill me. Out there,” Paris pointed to the stars visible beyond Voyagers open shuttle bay doors. “I can’t make any mistakes out there. When I’m at Voyagers helm there’s no holodeck safety protocols to bounce off, I have to know for real if I can do this. No one else is going to die because of my incompetence.”

Janeway knew Paris was referring to the Caldik Prime incident in his last sentence. She also knew it still prayed on his mind. “Ok then fly boy show me what you can do.

“You sure you want to be in on this?”

“Call it added incentive, with me on board you have to at least try to make it back in one piece.”

Paris smiled at Janeway, his Borg eye glinting in the shuttle bays warning lights as he manoeuvred the Delta Flyer out. His aim was slightly off centre but he managed not to hit Voyagers lintel.

Janeway noted Paris face was etched with concentration, her own expression was one of relaxed calm, but inside she was filled with trepidation. Janeways faith in Paris ability as a pilot was rock solid but his current state of mind was in serious question.

“Mr Paris are you certain you want to go in that direction?” asked Janeway after working out from his computer co-ordinates just where he was taking them.

“You mean because of the asteroid field.”

“Yes!”

“Flying in a straight line is child's play. Navigating an asteroid field on the other hand takes skill and coordination, both of mine are in doubt.”

“I don’t doubt your capability’s Tom just your choice of shall we say venue.”

“You can leave any time you want, Tuvox’s still got a transporter lock on you.”

Janeways expression changed from surprise to anger as she shook her head and muttered ‘Chakotay’ under her breath. One glance at Paris revealed an ear-to-ear grin. “Well I’m not leaving so do your worst Mr Paris.”

Five minuets later they were approaching the asteroid field, a 2000-mile expanse of debris that ranged from pee sized missiles to small gravity moons. Paris weaved in and out of the field’s edge getting a feel for the flyers manoeuvrability. Suddenly without warning, Paris pitched the flyer forwards and down, then back into a wide upside down loop around a large iron ore rock.

Janeway clung onto the handrails beside her as Paris pulled the Delta Flyer into a pancake roll over and under two larger flat asteroids before levelling her out again.

It was at this point Janeway was glad she hadn’t eaten yet. “Mr Paris have you been tampering with the inertial dampeners.”

“I’ve lowered them by 10% to allow myself to feel the movement of the Flyer easier.”

“You could have warned me!”

“What and miss the expression on your face as you tried not to loose your last undigested meal?”

“Not funny Mr Paris.”

“Perhaps not, but how’s my performance so far?”

“So far! You mean there’s more to come?”

“Sure I intend to give this baby a good shake down.”

To prove his intention Paris took the Delta Flyer deeper into the asteroid field. Once there he began a series of evasive manoeuvres with the larger rocks. Increasing his speed with each near miss. Some of the boulders spun on there own axis threatening to tug the Delta Flyer off its flight path, or smash down onto her as they tumbled around. Every so often Paris would throw in a ‘loop the loop’, much to the discomfort of Janeway stomach. It wasn’t that she suffered from motion sickness; it was the proximity of the rocks on Paris turns that flipped her tummy. Like squeezing sideways between two asteroids seconds before they collided with each other and running along vertical drops inches from the jagged rock face. Paris came so close to one Janeway got a glimpse of the fossils imbedded in it.

By now Paris was smiling confidently, but Janeway was gripping her seat wondering why Tuvox hadn’t beamed her butt off the Delta Flyer yet.

Picking out a large moon sized rock Paris took the Shuttle in for a landing. Putting her down smoothly on the edge of a precipice overlooking a frozen lake.

“Well what do you think?” asked Paris, obviously delighted with his performance. “Still got it or what?”

“Now hold on,” said Janeway calmly, “flying a shuttle is one thing, flying Voyager, I don’t know.”

“I knew it, I knew you were going to say that!” Paris got to his feet and strode angrily to the back of the Flyer’s main cabin. Thumping the wall with his palm Paris turned to say something else to Janeway but never got the words out. Stabbing pains shot through Paris eye doubling him over and bringing him to his knees. Screaming out loud Paris pressed his hands firmly over the Borg eye trying to force the pain back.

Back on Voyager Seven of Nine was jolted awake from her regeneration chamber by a sharp pain in her head and something else, a voice screaming, screaming inside her mind.

“Tom!” Janeway moved swiftly to Paris side, “what is it, more phantom pains?”

“No!” Paris yelled, shakily.

(NO) the voice screamed in Seven’s head.

Janeway moved Paris down into the Delta Flyers rear compartment and activated the medical bed. By this time Paris was panicking and trying to pull the Borg implant off.

“Take it out, the pain is too much, Kathryn please take it out,” Paris begged.

“I can’t,” Janeway overlooked his familiarity with her name and pushed Paris down onto the medical bed. “I don’t know how, I could do you more harm than good.”

“I don’t care,” whimpered Paris as Janeway pressed a hypo full of painkillers to his neck.

Janeway ignored his words, “It’ll take a while for those to get into your system.” She spoke calmly to Paris, hoping her tone would rub off on him. “Mean while lets take a look at you.”

Janeway activated the diagnostic unit above Paris head and ran a tricorder over his eye. Or at least over Paris hands, he still had them held firmly over the Borg implant.

“This isn’t going to work is it, I’m not going to get my sight back and your never going to let me fly Voyager again?”

“Tom!”

“You’re never going to let me do anything again, what use would a half blind man be on an away mission?”

“Tom!”

“I’m right aren’t I?”

“Tom shut up, sit up and uncover your eye.”

Noting the order infliction in her voice Paris did as he was told. Facing Janeway, Paris slowly moved his hand from his Borg eye, as he did a blinding flash penetrated his Borg eye. The pain was intense, Paris screamed aloud and quickly went to put his hands back, but Janeway caught them and held them down.

“Let me go!” Paris struggled squeezing his good eye shut. But to Paris astonishment he found even with his eye shut he could still see. He could see Janeway through his Borg eye.

Seven was heading for sickbay when the image of Janeway flashed before her eyes. It was disconcerting at first but with some effort she blocked the image out and continued on her way.

“Oh my god I can see you!” gasped Paris. “I can see through my Borg eye, what the hell is going on?”

“The nanites have worked faster than the doctor predicted. They have established a connection between your optic nerve and the Borg implant.”

“This can’t be good.” Paris had turned white and was trying to get to his feet, but found his balance somewhat out of sync.

“The doctor will sort everything out once we get back to Voyager.” Janeway patted Paris on the shoulder reassuringly then headed back up to the Delta Flyers flight deck muttering quietly to herself ’I hope’.

“Hey!” called Paris hot on her heels. “You’re not thinking about flying us out of here.”

“I’ll have you know I’m a mean shuttle pilot and I’ve logged more than enough hours in the Flyer.”

Janeway swung her legs into the pilot seat. It was still warm from Paris and set at his preferred distance from the controls.

“Maybe but do you think you can get us out of this asteroid field?”

“I’m not sure how you got in. I had my eyes closed half the time,” Janeway gave Paris a warm smile. “But I’m confident I can navigate my way out.”

“I could show……” Paris, suddenly struck dumb collapsed onto the seat beside Janeway, “Seven!”

“What about Seven?” asked Janeway her hands paused over the Flyers controls.

“I can hear her, her thoughts, in my head!”

“Tom?’ questioned Janeway, concerned. Paris was had gone white again and appeared lost in his own thoughts. Reaching out Janeway placed a hand tenderly on his knee.

The touch jolted Paris out of his trance. “She can hear me, she can read my thoughts.”

“This probably has something to do with your implant.” Janeway swung back to the shuttles controls and engaged the engines. “The sooner we get you back the better.”

“Seven says I have to calm down, the doctors working on it,” quoted Paris, deciphering Seven’s telepathic message for Janeway.

“Good do as she tells you,” ordered Janeway, not exactly understanding what was going on in Paris head, but realizing he wasn’t exactly dealing with it. “And Mr Paris I would suggest you keep your own thoughts virtuous until we find out what’s going on.”

Paris tried to raise a smile in response to Janeways attempt at humour but he couldn’t get his frozen facial muscles to co-operate. Instead he settled for trying to regulate his breathing and thoughts while hanging on tight to his seat. Janeways navigation out of the asteroid field was less than smooth but extremely fast and direct.

Half an hour later in Voyagers sickbay Seven of Nine and Tom Paris were trying to avoid eye contact as the doctor tried to clarify what had happened.

“It would seem that some of the nanites I gave you from Seven have been trying you relocate her.

They have accomplished this by activating the parts of your brain that deal with telepathy and adapting your brains normal neural electric signals to send thought messages to Sevens Borg transceivers. Effectively phoning home.”

Paris looked on from his medical bed totally flummoxed, even Janeway the scientist was having a hard time grasping the mechanics.

“Basically the nanites have established a mini collective of 2,” expanded Seven, meeting Paris eyes then looking away again quickly.

“Oh great!” yelled Paris, angrily. “That’s just fantastic, your homesick bloody nanites have Borgafied me.”

“Tom shut up,” snapped Janeway, stepping between Paris and Seven. “Doctor I think you had better perform the operation on Mr Paris eye ASAP. The sooner we sever this connection the better.”

“I couldn’t agree more, but there is a slight problem in that department,” ventured the doctor.

“A problem, what kind of a problem?” asked Paris getting to his feet.

Janeway raised her hand as a warning to stop Paris approaching the doctor or Seven, she could see he was getting more and more agitated and half expected him to take a swing at someone if she didn’t intercede.

“Doctor explain please.”

“I programmed the growth of Mr Paris new eye to coincide with the projected growth of his optic nerve. The unexpected speed of Seven’s nanites means it wont be ready for another 48 hours.”

“That’s not so bad I’m sure the two of you can keep out of each others heads for two days?”

“Except it wont be two days,” interrupted Seven.

Paris edged forwards until Janeways out stretched hand rested against his chest, “what?”

“Even with the nanites and the Borg implant gone it may take some time before the augmented sections of your brain to cease operating.”

“How long?” Paris and Janeway asked in unison.

“It all depends upon the strength of Mr Paris brain to recuperate. It could take weeks, months, maybe even years.”

“YEARS!” squealed Paris pressing against Janeways hand so hard he could feel the heat from it through his uniform.

“Back of Tom!” ordered Janeway turning her steely gaze on to him.

Paris eased off (stay out of my mind)

(I would only be glad too, your head is a mess)

(Yours is mind field)

(Insults are irrelevant Mr Paris)

(Then you wont mind if I call you a unfeeling witch)

(Watch what you think about when your guard is down, your mind leaks)

(Stay out of my private thoughts)

(Private like how soft you think Captain Janeways breasts are)

(I’m warning you Seven)

(Or what?)

“Ok you two break it up,” called Janeway watching Paris face get redder and redder.

Seven stuck her nose in the air haughtily and turned away. Paris kept his eyes on the back of Sevens head as he sat back on the diagnostic bed.

“Seven is there anyway you can de-tune yourself from the telepathic signals?” asked Janeway, knitting the frown lines on her forehead together.

“I’ve tried twice, each time the nanites have re-tuned Tom’s brain waves back into me.”

“Then surely once they are purged from Tom’s system you’ll be able to do it again permanently?”

“Yes, I’ll be able to block out all but the strongest of thoughts and emotions.”

“Problem solved,” said Janeway. “The doctor can remove the nanites from you now Tom, then in two days operate to replace your eye.”

“Sounds ok to me.” Replied Paris. “But I’m not staying in here. Its bad enough being suspended from duty, I’m not staying cooped up in sickbay.”

“Doctor?”

“I don’t need him climbing my walls.”

“Ok Tom, but one spark of trouble and your back under medical observation, got it.”

“Got it.”

Janeway left sickbay with her stomach rumbling, her gut squirming and her head pounding. One of them was telling her this wasn’t over yet.

Once released from sickbay Paris went straight to Belanna’s quarters. She wasn’t there and he was tempted to let himself in, but resisted the urge and instead waited outside for her to return.. Fortunately Paris didn’t have to wait long and called out her name happily as she approached.

“Belanna.”

“I’m tired Tom, I need a shower and some sleep.” Belanna nudged Paris aside so she could get to her door.

“You’re tied because you’ve been working straight since I was shot.”

“We’ve been very busy in engineering fitting the new constrictors,” responded Belanna, reaching for her door keypad.

“More like you’ve been avoiding me,” Paris grabbed Belanna’s arm so she couldn’t activate the lock.

“If I have its because that thing freaks me out,” Belanna pulled free from Paris grip and tapped in her security code. The door slid open. “And now you can see through it....I......I just can’t.”

“Captain Janeway doesn’t have a problem with the way I look.”

“Then go and talk with her I’m tired.”

“I don’t want to talk to Janeway, I want to talk to you,”

“Try coming back when your side-kicks gone,” Belanna took a step inside her quarters then turned to bar Paris way.

“Side-kick? You mean Seven, she’s blocked herself out. I can hardly hear her now.”

“So you say, but how well can she hear you?”

“Seven wouldn’t eves drop on a private conversation.”

“Huh! That shows how much you know her.”

“Belanna be reasonable, even after I have my eye fitted it could be months before my connection with Seven fades.”

“In that case I think we shouldn’t see each other for a while.”

“Your breaking up with me?”

“Yes Tom, I’m sorry I can’t handle this.” Belanna closed her door on Paris and locked it.

Paris knew he could open the door anytime he wanted to but figured there would be no point. He wasn’t going to get Belanna back until he got his eye back and Seven out of his head.

Tom Paris had woken up screaming sweat trickling down his back. In his dream Paris had been assimilated by the Borg and was chasing Belanna through Voyagers corridors. There was still 36 hours until his scheduled eye operation and although Seven’s thoughts were no longer howling in his head, he could still hear whispers and random words from her subconscious keeping him on edge.

The doctor had suggested he allow Tuvox to teach him some meditation techniques but Paris had argued that he didn’t need anyone else poking around in his mind and left sickbay.

It was Paris hope that after the operation, with all the Borg components gone his brain would return too normal. It was that hope which drove Tom Paris to use his ‘night stalker’ skills to enter sickbay undetected by the emergency medical hologram, and attempt to speed up the regeneration of his new eye.

Janeways headache had grown worse and sleep evaded her. Not wanting to disturb the doctor and run the gauntlet of questions she had sneaked into sickbay in search of an analgesic. But upon entering the darkened medical bay her attention was drawn to the light in the doctor’s office and Lieutenant Paris activities.

Approaching him unseen, Janeway got a good view of what he was attempting before announcing her presence. “Mr Paris desist immediately!” Janeway ordered, anger in her voice.

But Janeway was completely unprepared for what happened next. Paris whirled around drawing the Phaser he was carrying and aimed it at Janeway.

“Don’t come any closer,” Paris snarled. His face was red and contorted with rage. He’d failed to alter the doctors programming of the regeneration chamber and had become frustrated and irrational.

“Mr Paris how dare you point a weapon at me!” said Janeway keeping her cool but letting Paris know she was upset and disappointed in his action at the same time.

“Stay back I’m a little overwrought at the moment and I wouldn’t want this to go off accidentally.”

“You’re not going to shoot me.” Janeway watched Paris hand waver as sweat trickled down his temples. “What ever is wrong we can sort it out without violence.”

“I need the doctor to speed up the growth of my new eye,” said Paris, trying hard to hold the phaser steady.

“Why?” Janeway asked, taking a step closer to Paris.

“Because I need him to operate on me now! Tonight.”

“Again I ask why?” Janeway moved closer still, and Paris backed against the doctors desk, started to squirm and shake.

“I can’t take it anymore, her voice in my head, this thing on my face, its driving me crazy.” Tears formed in Paris eye as he spoke. “I need to get her out of my mind.”

“But the transplant wont sever your telepathic link with Seven. Only time can do that.” Janeway was now just inch’s from the swaying phaser.

“I .....don’t believe that.” Paris was trembling his sweaty finger slipping on the phaser’s trigger.

“Yes you do Tom, the same way I believe you wont fire that phaser.” The phaser was now resting against Janeways stomach; even set on stun at such a close range it would injure her.

Paris lost it, he broke down into tears, letting the phaser drop into Janeways hand. “Help me!” Paris cried, his body shaking uncontrollably with each sob.

Janeway took Paris in her arms and let him cry out the fear, anger and pain he had been bottling up. “It’s ok Tom I’m here for you, It’s going to be ok.”

Behind Janeway the double sickbay doors opened and Seven entered her phaser drawn ready. “Captain are you unharmed?”

“I’m fine Seven,” replied Janeway without turning around. “Leave us and speak to no one of this, that’s an order.”

Seven understood, and respecting the Janeways privacy left with out another word.

After a long time Paris stopped shaking and allowed Janeway to escort him to a medical bed, Where she administered him a sedative, before lowering his head on to the pillow. “Sleep now Tom when you wake again it will be over.” While she spoke Janeway affectionately stroked the unruly hair from Paris forehead.

“I’m sorry,” Paris whispered half asleep.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about,” Janeway whispered back. “This never happened.”

Paris closed his heavy eye letting the sedative take effect on his consciousness. When he came too 48 hours later the EMH doctor was standing over him grinning.

“Mr Paris your awake at last, good,” said the doctor cheerfully. “How many fingers am I holding up.”

Paris blinked his eyes, eyes, plural, he had two eyes again. A smile spread across Paris face as he answered the doctor, “Four, I see four fingers.” “That is correct, you may sit up now.”

Paris gingerly sat up, he was in a quiet corner of Voyager sickbay and apart from the doctor the only other person there was Captain Janeway. Remembering what he had done Paris pinked with embarrassment and his heart raced with fear.

“Captain, hello”

“Hello Tom,” Janeway responded, smiling as she walked over to him. Producing a hand mirror from behind her back she offered it to Paris. “Take a look.”

Paris took the mirror and raised it slowly until he could see his face within the glass. “Hello handsome,” he joked.

Janeway couldn’t resist a giggle.

“There were times over the past week when I didn’t think I would see this face again.”

“I’m glad to have it back too,” said Janeway, taking a seat on the bed beside Paris and reaching up to stroke his cheek.

Her hand was warm and soft and Paris found the gesture provocative. “How soon before I can get behind Voyagers helm again.”

“Not so fast,” jumped in the doctor before Janeway could answer. “I’ll need to keep you here for another 24 hours, while I run some tests.”

“Take advantage of the rest Tom,” said Janeway, getting to her feet. “I think Chakotays got some double shifts planned for when your back on your feet.”

Paris heard the laughter in her voice that told him all that had gone down before was forgiven and he relaxed a little. “I guess I’ll see you in two days then?”

“There is one other thing,” Janeways voice changed to a more serious note. “Can you still hear Seven?”

Paris glanced away from Janeway and turned his thoughts inwards. Deep in his mind behind the everyday junk he found Seven humming away quietly. “She’s not so loud anymore.”

“Eventually your link will fade but if you find it getting on top of you,” Janeway leaned in closer to Paris, “I want you to come to me. Don’t try to fight your nightmares on your own Tom.”

Paris nodded, unable to reply, unable to tell Janeway how much he was indebted to her for keeping their secret.

Insomnia it would seem is a captain’s best friend and worst enemy at the same time. While it allowed you the quiet wee small hours to think, it didn’t allow you the sleep needed to implement the thought effectively.

Two days after the successful operation to replace Tom Paris Borg eye with a new human one, insomnia drove captain Janeway from her bed and quarters only to wonder Voyagers corridors aimlessly. Rounding a familiar corner a moment of déjà vu caught her off guard as she came across Paris staring out of a window watching the stars go past. His face was perfectly reflected in the glass, right down to the two handsome blue eyes.

As before Paris hadn’t heard her approach but this time Janeway didn’t hesitate to advance. “Tom.” Paris didn’t acknowledge Janeways call of his name or distract his attention from the stars. Janeway moved to stand next to Paris and joined his gaze at the never-ending stream of shining suns. “It would seem fate has tossed us together again.”

“More like the nightmares of two lost souls,” responded Paris, turning his back to the window. “The doctor told me you are fit for duty again.” Janeway moved to stand in front of Paris, catching his eye and holding it.

“Chakotay has me rosterd on for the morning,” Paris informed Janeway.

“Harry said your new eye was slightly bluer than the other one.” Janeway raised a hand to Paris cheek, her thumb chafing against his unshaven jaw line.

Paris felt the coolness of her hand on his warm face and jumped at the electricity of her touch. “You have to look close to notice.” Paris felt himself smile and Janeway smiled back.

“How close?” she asked, drawing nearer to Paris and him nearer to her.

With out warning Kathryn raised herself up on tiptoe and placed a kiss over Tom’s new eye. Returning to her feet she let the kiss travel down to Tom’s cheek and her hand slip to the nape of his neck.

Tom encircled Kathryn’s waist with one arm holding her gently against him. “What was that for?”

“An apology.”

“Apology for what?”

Kathryn could feel her breast pushing against Tom’s chest and the fingers of his hand along the curve of her back. For some reason both sensations made her stomach flutter. “The last time we were here together I slapped your face.”

“I deserved it,” said Tom, moving slightly so Kathryn’s nipples rubbed against his chest.

“Still, this time I figured I owed you a kiss,” Kathryn tried to sound nonchalant about the whole affair but didn’t quite carry it off.

“You call that a kiss,” said Tom, moving his free hand behind Kathryn’s head and pulling her towards him. Before she could object Tom lowered his head and engulfed Kathryn’s mouth with his own. Taken by surprise Kathryn let out a stifled gasp, giving Tom the opportunity to slip his tongue into her mouth.

Kathryn hadn’t expected Tom to kiss her back, but she was shocked to discover she didn’t find it unwelcome. And when Tom began parting her lips with his tongue rivers of pleasure ran up and down her body. Why and where they had come from she wasn’t certain, but Kathryn was sure she didn’t want them to stop and increased the pressure of her own lips in response.

Several minuets passed in which Tom let his hands roam over the sensuous curves of Kathryn’s body, moving her closer into him while he sucked harder on her swollen lips and probed deeper into her throat with his tongue. All the time he could feel the pressure between his legs growing. Tom knew what he was doing was wrong, but it felt so good.

Kathryn succumbed to Tom’s tender hands and mouth, letting her body melt against his. Throbbing where his knee divided her legs and tingling with every pass off his fingers. Part of her wished she were naked so Toms touch would be even more intimate but the greater part of her knew it would be wrong. With a moan from Kathryn Tom drew back releasing her blood red lips. “Now that’s what I call a kiss.”

Kathryn had closed her eyes but now opened them to look up at Tom. “It’s been a long time since a real man kissed me like that, a very long time.”

“How long since you last made love?” Paris asked. Knowing he was crossing the barrier but didn’t care.

“There’s love and there sex Tom, I’ve had sex.”

“I could love you, if you would let me.”

“Tom!” Kathryn pulled away a little. “What about Belanna?”

“She broke up with me.” Tom looked down away from Kathryn as he spoke. He didn’t want her to see the hurt in his eyes, but Kathryn saw.

“Sex with me won’t bring her back,” responded Kathryn, trying to pull further away from Tom but finding his arms too strong to escape.

“I’m not so certain I want her back.” Paris moved his hips against Kathryn the fullness of his passion evident between them. “I’m burning with desire for you Kathryn say the word and I’ll set you alight.”

“I can feel your desire Tom an believe me I’m smouldering under you but I’m not going to be your rebound fuck.”

“Kathryn don’t.” Tom was losing her and he knew it. She was slipping back into her captain shoes.

“I’m sorry Tom maybe another time another place.” She hated saying the words but Kathryn knew they were true.

“NO!” Tom screamed, taking hold of Kathryn’s arms and pushing her away from him. “Why did you come here, kiss me, respond to my touch if you didn’t want me, if you didn’t want me to have you?”

“I only wanted to comfort you, say I was sorry.”

“I don’t want comfort or your apology, I want your body.”

(I want your body) Seven heard the words in her head before Paris spoke them. She was working in astrometrics with Chakotay and for a moment lost concentration.

“Seven,” Chakotay called, “Are you ok?”

“You can’t have me Tom, no one can, I’m the captain.”

(I’m the captain) The words rebounded around Paris head then Seven’s.

“Seven!” Chakotay called again.

“I’m ok commander,” Seven replied, readjusting the mental block between her and Tom Paris, “I’ll have those calculations for you in a moment.”

Chakotay gave her a concerned look but didn’t ask any questions, which Seven was extremely grateful for.

Janeway broke free from Paris grasp and stood back from him. “I’m so sorry Tom I didn’t mean to mislead you. I shouldn’t have…….”

“No you shouldn’t,” Paris interrupted angrily and a little embarrassed as well. “Just stay away from me.” With that Paris turned back to the window.

“Tom!”

“I said go away!” Snapped Paris. “Just leave me alone.”

Kathryn wanted to reach out to Paris again, let him take her in his arms and to his bed, but the captain in her was back in charge, so Janeway backed away then walked on down the corridor and out of sight. Once Janeway had left Paris let his shoulders drop and his body tremble as he cried. The past two weeks had been full of pain, hope, despair and loss. It was going to take a lot of tears to over come them.

Janeway just made it back to her quarters before the tears started to flow. One day soon she and Paris would have to talk, talk about her feelings for him, and his for her. But not now, not while he was still venerable over Belanna, and not while there was a possibility of Seven listening in on their conversation, but soon.

After Chakotay had left astrometrics Seven brushed away the tears forming in the corner of her eye then re-enforced the barriers in her mind blocking Tom Paris out. What had transpired between the captain and Paris was private, a secret she would have to keep to herself, at least for now.

To Be Continued.............